1964 Ears
Jun 29, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #2,581 of 7,417

Thanks for your input! 

I'll check out some of the other manufacturers listed on Joe's thread -- what a great resource!

I contacted 1964 EARS and asked them for pictures of their silicone IEMs and they didn't have any. I guess they don't get many silicone orders.
I also asked about the soft tips option for acrylic shells and the response was that it does not provide any additional isolation vs full acrylic -- just added comfort.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #2,582 of 7,417
After almost six weeks of waiting, my Quads were delivered -- but I wasn't home! With work commitments, I won't get them until Saturday morning. The customs duty is a mere 1,300 yen (about USD16) In the meantime, 1964 Ears has received my CK10s to put the custom tips onto. No word how they're going to handle the smooth no-notch nozzle.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2,583 of 7,417
Just got my quads out of the Canada Post system (finally! after that Canada Post Strike!). They insanely went about and charged me $72 customs duty again! I'll have to file a refund claim.

I'd recommend anyone having theirs sent to Canada to instruct 1964 EARS to CLEARLY LABEL that it's a WARRANTY REPAIR if it is a refit or something. Perhaps it could save you guys some trouble from the Postal Customs.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,584 of 7,417
Received my quads this morning.. perfect fit right out of the box.. I'll post some more impressions later but I'm COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY by them.  Thanks again to ericp10 & everyone else who provided the  detailed reviews and thoughts.. to my ears, they are everything you all stated and more.

I don't understand where all the talk of the treble being insufficient or too smooth is coming from (oh wait, I do.. different ears, yadda yadda).  Being a fanboy of the RE0/DBA/GR07 (a listener who loves crisp, extended, highly detailed treble), the quad's treble sound more realistic and accurate than any of those phones.  The treble doesn't sound artificially boosted or have some kind of added sparkle to give the illusion of clarity.  The treble is on the smoother but I certainly don't feel like I'm losing any of the clarity or microdetails vs brighter, treble heavy phones.

I have never heard such smooth (yet highly detailed), clean, balanced phones with jaw dropping clarity in my life.  It handily craps on every universal I own.  I can't get over how clean, controlled, and effortless everything sounds.. the bass is simply legendary.. soooo deep, impactful, and well textured.. but never dominating any of the other frequencies.. it's simply stunning.  It will only get authoritative when called upon so all music doesn't have a bassy tinge to it.

I don't hear any kind of heavy timbre slant to the quads.. they sound quite balanced to me.. leaning slightly to the warmer side of neutral.. perhaps every so slightly forward but it not close to fatiguing in the least.. For GR07 owners, I can comfortably conclude these are the logical upgrade if you want a custom.. and they spank the GR07 with freakish ease.

It's going to be quite tough going back to listening to universals after getting these.  I definitely understand why customs are so praised from a comfort standpoint.. there is no equivalent.  They simply disappear when you have the right fit.  I didn't get any special tips for the Quad.. everything is stock.. from the wire up.. I also love the fact you can listen to music at a lower volume with customs since the seal is so much better.. something your ears will thank you for as you get older.

Take any & all statements from me with a grain of salt cause these are my first customs.. and most likely only ones considering how perfectly suited they feel to my taste.  If I ever do get another set of customs, it won't be for a very long time and it'll be when I'm ready to drop over $1K (just don't tell my wife).

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #2,585 of 7,417

Quote:
Received my quads this morning.. perfect fit right out of the box.. I'll post some more impressions later but I'm COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY by them.  Thanks again to ericp10 & everyone else who provided the  detailed reviews and thoughts.. to my ears, they are everything you all stated and more.

I don't understand where all the talk of the treble being insufficient or too smooth is coming from (oh wait, I do.. different ears, yadda yadda).  Being a fanboy of the RE0/DBA/GR07 (a listener who loves crisp, extended, highly detailed treble), the quad's treble sound more realistic and accurate than any of those phones.  The treble doesn't sound artificially boosted or have some kind of added sparkle to give the illusion of clarity.  The treble is on the smoother but I certainly don't feel like I'm losing any of the clarity or microdetails vs brighter, treble heavy phones.

I have never heard such smooth (yet highly detailed), clean, balanced phones with jaw dropping clarity in my life.  It handily craps on every universal I own.  I can't get over how clean, controlled, and effortless everything sounds.. the bass is simply legendary.. soooo deep, impactful, and well textured.. but never dominating any of the other frequencies.. it's simply stunning.  It will only get authoritative when called upon so all music doesn't have a bassy tinge to it.

I don't hear any kind of heavy timbre slant to the quads.. they sound very balanced to me.. not warm, not cold, not thick, or thin.. perhaps every so slightly forward but it not close to fatiguing in the least.. For GR07 owners, I can comfortably conclude these are the logical upgrade if you want a custom.. and they spank the GR07 with freakish ease.

It's going to be quite tough going back to listening to universals after getting these.  I definitely understand why customs are so praised from a comfort standpoint.. there is no equivalent.  They simply disappear when you have the right fit.  I didn't get any special tips for the Quad.. everything is stock.. from the wire up.. I also love the fact you can listen to music at a lower volume with customs since the seal is so much better.. something your ears will thank you for as you get older.

Take any & all statements from me with a grain of salt cause these are my first customs.. and most likely only ones considering how perfectly suited they feel to my taste.  If I ever do get another set of customs, it won't be for a very long time and it'll be when I'm ready to drop over $1K (just don't tell my wife).

beerchug.gif
Congratulations @ Fly Sweep! Glad you are hearing what I first heard (and continue to hear). They're still my favorite earphone/headphone period! Looking forward to even more impressions after you have settled into them a while longer. Happy listening!!

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #2,586 of 7,417
@ericp10 .. I completely understand your situation now when you said you were listening to these for 5 or 6 hours straight without taking them off or wanting to go to sleep.. LOL.. these are flat out addictive.  I love how they can walk that fine line between sounding neutral and quite musical at the same time.. 

I'm hearing such details in the most minuscule parts of music I had rarely if ever heard with astonishing clarity and depth..i.e. like the bow of a violin gently rubbing across strings.. I had heard these kinds of details with the DBA, GR07, & RE0.. but never with such delicacy, accuracy, and depth.. it makes those phones sound so very 2D in comparison..

I characterize myself as listener who flirted with mid-fi universals that maximize VFM and can, more often than not, go toe-to-toe with some high end universals without losing out by too much.  I've listened to a number of hi-end universals and for those in my position trying to decide whether to go for a high end universal (FX700, W4, etc.) or saving up a little more and going with a $400-600 custom, I'm more than happy with my choice of going the customs route.  Taking into account the process of getting molds, customizing the IEM design, etc., I enjoyed the whole process and this (expensive) hobby feels truly personal when a lovely pair of customs slide into your ears and wow your pants off.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,587 of 7,417

Quote:
@ericp10 .. I completely understand your situation now when you said you were listening to these for 5 or 6 hours straight without taking them off or wanting to go to sleep.. LOL.. these are flat out addictive.  I love how they can walk that fine line between sounding neutral and quite musical at the same time.. 

I'm hearing such details in the most minuscule parts of music I had rarely if ever heard with astonishing clarity and depth..i.e. like the bow of a violin gently rubbing across strings.. I had heard these kinds of details with the DBA, GR07, & RE0.. but never with such delicacy, accuracy, and depth.. it makes those phones sound so very 2D in comparison..

I characterize myself as listener who flirted with mid-fi universals that maximize VFM and can, more often than not, go toe-to-toe with some high end universals without losing out by too much.  I've listened to a number of hi-end universals and for those in my position trying to decide whether to go for a high end universal (FX700, W4, etc.) or saving up a little more and going with a $400-600 custom, I'm more than happy with my choice of going the customs route.  Taking into account the process of getting molds, customizing the IEM design, etc., I enjoyed the whole process and this (expensive) hobby feels truly personal when a lovely pair of customs slide into your ears and wow your pants off.

LOL @ FlySweep. I'm laughing because that's exactly how I felt when I first heard my customs. I was like what cruel jokes have the gods played on me and not conveying how truly a wonderful experience the custom world is. I just let the skeptics and the doubters roam free because I've always maintained that no amount of words can really express the joy that certain audio high-end toys can bring one unless you hear for your yourself.

Now, I must ask (unless I have read it wrong), have you heard the W4? If so, how does it compare to the quad? I definitely think if one can go for a $400-$500 universal vs. an economical custom on the low end of the price spectrum, I would think the more bang and enjoyment for ones buck would come out of the custom. I have yet to hear the W4 and will still like to hear what 4-driver universal can produce. But I still maintain that no top -tier universal I have heard can overall touch the 1964-Q. Some do come close if you narrow down specific sound areas, but not as a whole unit. 

By the way, how would you say the quad's sound compares to the FA-011 (knowing that they are two different beasts altogether, especially in sound sig)?

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #2,588 of 7,417
Well, I don't like much treble but my 1964 T could do well with a bit more treble. 
Treble definitely not up to bass and mids

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #2,590 of 7,417
1964 No longer offers full silicone molds according to their latest FB post.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #2,593 of 7,417

Quote:
Well, I don't like much treble but my 1964 T could do well with a bit more treble. 
Treble definitely not up to bass and mids

I'm pretty satisfied with the treble in the 1964-T. It does get better with better equipment and out of either of my dac/amp it sounds pretty good enough to not care. However the 1964-T is not my 1st choice when I get my customs back from a refit and at home I have my DT880 which has a pretty extended treble.

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #2,594 of 7,417
See that's the thing - everyone has their own opinion of what kind of treble they want. I personally prefer the presentation of the 1964-T over many other headphones and IEMs: DT880/250, DT990/600, HD650, SR325, UE4pro, and MTPC to name a few off the top of my head. And of course there are plenty that I would choose over the 1964-T: UM Miracle, UM Merlin, ES3X, LA7000, LiveWires Trips, JH13pro, RS1. It also depends on the music.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2,595 of 7,417
Just got my quads. I don't really want to post first impressions until I give it a full week of listening. I will say, however, that I've never experienced this level of detail in a pair of IEMs before. It's a definite step up even from my CK10s and RE0s. I listen to a fair bit of trance and electronic, and it's great to hear how well-resolved each note is. 

A couple of questions, though, of all you veteran audiophiles.

1. I tried counting the four drivers, but could only see three. Is there some trick to spotting the fourth driver?

2. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the fit: When I yawn the fit stays true. When I smile it seems to pop a bit but then reseals when I finish smiling. I assume that's normal? Also, there's a bit of discomfort deep in the ear canal, as the very tip seems a bit large for the canal. Will this discomfort disappear with time?

Any responses welcomed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back