1964 Ears
Feb 14, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #6,587 of 7,417
thanks! they're getting more and more comfortable although the left still doesn't feel as "natural" as the right does .. such a tough decision! 

Just another data point: I bought V8s last year, and for me the right is not quite the same as the left. I did adjust to the feel. The left "disappears" immediatly, while I notice the right for a while after inserting. I decided not to send them back for a refit, as I could not really articulate what to change anyway.

The interesting thing is that this year I decided to purchase a set from Alclair, since they are located in my area. Their impression was taken very carefully, and it looked perfect. Surprise, the right feels a little different again! So, at least in my case, it's the difference in ear canal rather than a problem with my ciems.

Years ago I ordered my first ciems from Ultimate Ears. At the time, the designed them to go much less distance into the canal. These feel the same right and left--but really do not seal as well.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #6,588 of 7,417
Hi guys, a question about fit of CIEMs. I don't own a 1964ears product but a JH13. The JH13 thread isn't very active anymore however and as far as CIEM fit is concerned every brand will have the same potential issues.

So anyway, after two refits with my JH13 it's finally at a place where it's quite comfortable to listen to for an extended period. But I still feel like it's not 100% perfect. When I insert them, I still feel them, always, as if the part in my ear canal is just slightly too thick. The seal is perfect, I get good deep bass. But sometimes I feel like there is too much pressure created in my ear, and by that I mean too much negative pressure, as if a vacuum is being created. I feel like this reduces the SQ every so slightly, kind of like when you're on an airplane or go diving or have a cold and you're all stuffed up and the pressure differences reduce how well you can hear until you equalize the pressure. Also in terms of physical pressure, it's almost like it's exerting a slight amount of pressure on my jaw or something.

So what I'm wondering is, is this how a CIEM is supposed to feel? Or is it supposed to really disappear completely in terms of feel? I'd consider sending them in for a third refit and have them reduce the thickness of the inner ear parts, but I'm afraid that might start affecting the seal negatively. And also, I'm not sure which part of the inner ear would need reduction in thickness (if any).

I by the way did a full open mouth impression, but I usually have my mouth shut when listening.

Anyway, appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #6,589 of 7,417
Just another data point: I bought V8s last year, and for me the right is not quite the same as the left. I did adjust to the feel. The left "disappears" immediatly, while I notice the right for a while after inserting. I decided not to send them back for a refit, as I could not really articulate what to change anyway.

The interesting thing is that this year I decided to purchase a set from Alclair, since they are located in my area. Their impression was taken very carefully, and it looked perfect. Surprise, the right feels a little different again! So, at least in my case, it's the difference in ear canal rather than a problem with my ciems.

Years ago I ordered my first ciems from Ultimate Ears. At the time, the designed them to go much less distance into the canal. These feel the same right and left--but really do not seal as well.

thanks for writing all that out! i'm gonna keep mine for a bit! i'm visiting Portland in a few weeks so maybe i'll stop by 1964 and speak to them in person. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #6,592 of 7,417
The 8A's are dark smoke - just transparent enough to see all those BA's inside - it never ceases to amaze me, the work that goes into the manufacture of Custom IEMs. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #6,594 of 7,417
Have a question for you guys; Had my V8's for a week now and I'm noticing that sometimes my left ear creates popping noises as I walk, I usually adjust the monitor and it goes away. It doesn't happen all the time though.

But what is constant is a slight crackling noise in the right monitor as I walk, its not the music as the noise is present when I have no music playing, it's like the right monitor is moving ever so slightly.

Normal? Will my ears adjust to this or should I be sending them back for a refit?

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #6,595 of 7,417
I would send them back especially for the price, with my customs if I ever had a fit issue I would get a refit you never know over time it could get worse. If there's any doubt you know what you need to do even though it's a pain in the ass.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #6,597 of 7,417
My V6 Stages came this week, enjoying them so far.

Congrats! V6 Stage is a great iem (I have the universal fit myself) indeed.
Especially straight out of DX90 the sound is spectacular imo...
Enjoy your music
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #6,599 of 7,417
My V6 arrived this Tuesday after I had to send the left one back for a refit. Now they fit a lot better. Still have to get used to the feeling, but the sound is awesome!

Another legacy v6 owner :D They look great!

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #6,600 of 7,417
Just got some nice 1964ears delivery today :) V6, SPL-Plugs, Clear Plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back