1964 Ears
May 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,861 of 7,417
Damn, I wish I had friends and coworkers like you
smily_headphones1.gif

You almost have to - when a "regular" person asks about your headphones and if the conversation winds around to cost - even at 50% it freaks them out - so if they can see the workmanship and hear some nicely recorded tunes - sometimes you get a convert.

May 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,862 of 7,417
You almost have to - when a "regular" person asks about your headphones and if the conversation winds around to cost - even at 50% it freaks them out - so if they can see the workmanship and hear some nicely recorded tunes - sometimes you get a convert.

I've let some coworkers try out my HE-400 and various low and mid-tier IEMs. With as much hassle as I have keeping universals in my ears, I'm sure I'll convert to a pair of customs. I live in Portland, so I plan on stopping by 1964 Ears someday for an audition.

May 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #4,865 of 7,417
  I'll have to send them another email if I don't hear back from them today then. It's been a solid 48 hours since I sent my original email. 

My experience has been fairly positive with e-mail responses, and stated delivery times. Shoot them another e-mail. I would be surprised if you didn't get a timely response.

May 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,866 of 7,417
I'll have to send them another email if I don't hear back from them today then. It's been a solid 48 hours since I sent my original email. 

I've called them and each time they've picked up (during business hours). Definitely the fastest way to get an answer to your question.

May 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #4,867 of 7,417
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I tried their Facebook yesterday, no response. So I sent them a follow up email early this morning and finally got a response back this afternoon from Alex. I guess now is the sit and wait for Labour Day weekend and hope for a sale :)

May 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #4,868 of 7,417
Here is a photo that displays the tweeter positioning on the V8 - all the way at the back of the IEM - very similar to the JH FreqPhase positioning - I do not find the highs recessed at all - but they aren't sibilant either - very present and accounted for - and I am a relatively older guy, so it isn't like I have a tolerance for high frequencies - if they were recessed, I'd have a hell of a time hearing them...

^^here^^

Those drivers are really compacted...i wonder If your impressions have to be a certain size or do they just find a way to squeeze everything in

May 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4,869 of 7,417
Can anyone give me the interior dimensions of the personalized case? The website doesn't list it and I'm not getting mines until next month.
I wanted to know if it can fit my portable charger, DAP and CIEMS inside.

May 17, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #4,870 of 7,417
Those drivers are really compacted...i wonder If your impressions have to be a certain size or do they just find a way to squeeze everything in

I imagine the universals have a smaller interior volume than most any custom they would build - so yes they can squeeze the BA's in. 

**** also the interior dimension of the 1964 Ears case is 5" x 2.75" x 1" - THAT IS if you pull out the foam insert - which I believe would leave you with an unpadded lower case - the insert is made for your CIEMs, and accessories - not a DAP - the case on the right is the exact same one - just supplied by Inearz - and it is thinly padded top and bottom - the 1964 version has the insert glued in.

See photo

May 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #4,872 of 7,417
Ivabign,

I'm kinda working my way through the 1964 line up with demo's. I started with the V3 last month and I currently have the Qi and V6. I like the V6 the most so far, but in your opnion would the V8 be a "no brainer" choice if the money difference is not an issue?

May 17, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4,873 of 7,417
  Ivabign,

I'm kinda working my way through the 1964 line up with demo's. I started with the V3 last month and I currently have the Qi and V6. I like the V6 the most so far, but in your opnion would the V8 be a "no brainer" choice if the money difference is not an issue?

v6, v6s, and v8 are not "upgrades" to one another, rather than different sound, with v6 being most balanced, v6s being a bit bassier (for stage use they say), and v8 yet being even more thicker, warmer, and bassier. It's all up to what you prefer.

May 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #4,874 of 7,417

v6, v6s, and v8 are not "upgrades" to one another, rather than different sound, with v6 being most balanced, v6s being a bit bassier (for stage use they say), and v8 yet being even more thicker, warmer, and bassier. It's all up to what you prefer.

I'm onboard with you when you state that the various offerings from 1964 Ears are not an upgrade path - and I'll also buy that the V8 is basser than the V6 - but a description of the V8 as warm and thick makes it sound like my old 8A's - The V8 is a very detailed monitor with great soundstage and presentation - but it isn't a thick, warm (read: slow, colored) can. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it to sound that way - they have the ability to play big bass while presenting the other frequencies with great detail. I'm liking them more and more.

May 18, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #4,875 of 7,417

I get what ur saying, they each have their own sonic character and not necessarily and "upgrade" over the other. But I think (hope) there is a hierarchy or progression. Adding drivers, sound bores and cost isn't just to differentiat monitors within the line-up. I get the destinct impression they are searching for sonic improvements and that buyers are expecting that. Anyway......all I really want to know is does the "big bass" of the V8 over power the other frequencies at times or does it just hit hard when called for? Hoping you responded because you have the V8 and can answer the question. Thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back