1964 Ears
May 21, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #4,891 of 7,417
@evanatch - I came from the B2's as well (to the V3's), and if you like that sound then yeah, if you can spring for the V6's you'll probably like those more than the other 1964Ears models based on what people here who have them say (and who have heard the V6's and some of the others). The V3's are not as bassy as the other 3 (Quads/V6S/V8), but do have a bit of mid-bass warmth & have less top end (treble a little rolled back ?) than the B2's (based on my experience), they're probably a bit 'mid-centric' (which is not a bad thing by any stretch, they're great to listen to - a really 'musical' enjoyable sound).

I also went from a Cowon X9 (used with both the B2's & V3's) to an AK100 MkII. The V3's were pretty good out of the X9, but out of the Ak100 there's just no valid comparison.

Was the whole upgrade thing (both the CIEM's & DAP) worth it ? Hell yes :wink: I get more than enough usage out of both to have justified the outlay.

Thanks, it's certainly reassuring to hear that the step up is worth it! Hopefully I'll be ready to make that leap soon - glad to hear it's worked out so well for you.

Would definitely still be interested in hearing opinions of those who've heard the DX50 and the V6 together. I've considered the DX90 as well but a much higher price, buggier firmware, and a significantly reduced battery life are driving me away.

The IEM designer on 1964 Ears' website is way too much fun to play with, I think I've got a pretty cool design and artwork worked out for when I'm ready... :D

May 21, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4,892 of 7,417
My review on the V8s. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719709/1964-v8-review-non-audiofile-perspective

May 22, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4,893 of 7,417
Finally think I have a set of impressions, so plan to order. I am thinking of the V8 to complement my more neutral UE10Pro. When flying, the bass on the UE gets lost in the background noise. A side benefit of the V8 might be that I could listen at lower volume. The UE10s need a certain level before the bass kicks in.

Now the harder decision-- designing them! Lots of good photos to choose from. Wonder about the wood plate foe a little variety . . .

May 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4,894 of 7,417
Finally think I have a set of impressions, so plan to order. I am thinking of the V8 to complement my more neutral UE10Pro. When flying, the bass on the UE gets lost in the background noise. A side benefit of the V8 might be that I could listen at lower volume. The UE10s need a certain level before the bass kicks in.

Now the harder decision-- designing them! Lots of good photos to choose from. Wonder about the wood plate foe a little variety . . .

If your looking to have bass response at lower volumns, the V8s are perfect choice as I have them in my eyes right now :) 

Good luck with your design, send some pics :3

May 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #4,895 of 7,417

If your looking to have bass response at lower volumns, the V8s are perfect choice as I have them in my eyes right now :) 

Good luck with your design, send some pics :3

Thanks!  So many choices.  For a change from my UEs, I am thinking solid black with initials. The choice is solid black acrylic, or solid black with wood faceplates.  I saw a few photos of this look at their site.  Hoping to get the OK on the impressions tomorrow.

May 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4,896 of 7,417
Got my impressions done yesterday and put in an order for the V8 today. Was hoping to get a loaner pair, but it seems the wait will be longer than the introductory price is available (they said it will be available until June 1, maybe longer). From the posts here, it sounds like they'll be the perfect IEM for me. This is my first pair of customs, so excited. And now the waiting begins.

May 26, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #4,904 of 7,417
Hi guys,

I'm looking at 1964 ears as a replacement for my reshelled Shure 535s I was wondering which model would be a good upgrade. I love the mids on the 535 but I would like a much bigger soundstage and better instrument clarity and separation. Hope u guys can advise

May 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #4,905 of 7,417
My V6-Stage universals are the only 1964 EARS I've ever heard, but if you add excellent bass extension and detail to your wish list they should be an very good match for you.

The mids are right there (no V signature here) and the piano sounds so realistic. Along with the mids is an equal amount of very detailed bass and very detailed highs. Then add in a wide soundstage, precise placement (performers must love this), and a very nice sense of air/openness/realism. I think you would like them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back