1964 Ears
Jul 31, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3,301 of 7,417

RingingEars

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 28, 2011
Posts
854
Likes
138
Location
Coeur D' Alene, ID.
Just got back from getting my impressions done. Will be shipping them off tomorrow...
etysmile.gif

 
Aug 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #3,302 of 7,417

fhuang

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Posts
1,929
Likes
46
Location
Hong Kong
Quote:
Have you contacted them? Thats almost 2 months. I would call or email them to see what the hold up is. That's pretty excessive...

 
Quote:
How did you ship your impressions to them?
Also you should get in touch with them to see what's going on.

 
 
i probably will send them an email later.  just want to see how much time for most head-fiers these days.  thanks
 
Aug 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,304 of 7,417

RingingEars

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 28, 2011
Posts
854
Likes
138
Location
Coeur D' Alene, ID.
Quote:
Showed up on their site today....Single low though. Hmmmmmm
 
I wonder how they can claim better lows with single bass driver??

I believe it's the same BAs as the T, but the new V3 has a three-way crossover as opposed to a two-way. 
 
Aug 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3,306 of 7,417

RingingEars

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 28, 2011
Posts
854
Likes
138
Location
Coeur D' Alene, ID.
Quote:
Web site says, "Single low, single mid and single high." How do crossovers work exactly?

by sending certain frequencies to certain drivers... With out a crossover(s) drivers would run full range
 
Aug 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,308 of 7,417

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Posts
7,383
Likes
2,996
Armature drivers act a bit differently than what you are probably used to if you have dealt with speaker design.
 
In typical speakers, you have a big driver for lower frequencies, and a small tweeter for highs, or maybe a medium sized driver in the middle as well. But you would never use the tweeter for mids, or the large woofer for highs.
 
BA drivers seem different in that sometimes you'll see the same driver being used as a bass unit, and in another design it will be for mids, etc. And it doesn't always correlate to the physical size of the unit either. For example, Heir Audio uses the Knowles DTEC units as bass drivers in their 4.A and 6.A LE designs. DTECs are really small drivers. In other cases I've seen TEC and DTEC units being used as mid-range drivers. Or the TWFK units that make up the highs on those Heir models, are sometimes used to cover the full spectrum (as in the DBA-02 and UE700 for example), and it sounds pretty darn good. So it all depends on the designer and their ability to properly blend the different BA units into a coherent sound.
 
My 1964-T uses a pair of Sonion 2015 units for lows. But the 1964-Q uses that same driver for mids. So the V3 is kind of a hybrid between those two. Theoretically it might be more balanced/neutral than the 1964-T, but it could also be really similar depending on how they tuned it. 
 
Aug 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3,309 of 7,417

PocketGroove

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Posts
38
Likes
11
Quote:
Armature drivers act a bit differently than what you are probably used to if you have dealt with speaker design.
 
In typical speakers, you have a big driver for lower frequencies, and a small tweeter for highs, or maybe a medium sized driver in the middle as well. But you would never use the tweeter for mids, or the large woofer for highs.
 
BA drivers seem different in that sometimes you'll see the same driver being used as a bass unit, and in another design it will be for mids, etc. And it doesn't always correlate to the physical size of the unit either. For example, Heir Audio uses the Knowles DTEC units as bass drivers in their 4.A and 6.A LE designs. DTECs are really small drivers. In other cases I've seen TEC and DTEC units being used as mid-range drivers. Or the TWFK units that make up the highs on those Heir models, are sometimes used to cover the full spectrum (as in the DBA-02 and UE700 for example), and it sounds pretty darn good. So it all depends on the designer and their ability to properly blend the different BA units into a coherent sound.
 
My 1964-T uses a pair of Sonion 2015 units for lows. But the 1964-Q uses that same driver for mids. So the V3 is kind of a hybrid between those two. Theoretically it might be more balanced/neutral than the 1964-T, but it could also be really similar depending on how they tuned it. 

"Depending on how they tune it." Here lies the rub....These details are what a lot depends on when it comes to a change like this. I'm probably leaning towards the Quads a this point for the lows. Too bad we won't see any reviews on the V3 for a couple of months!
 
Aug 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3,310 of 7,417

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Posts
7,383
Likes
2,996
Quote:
"Depending on how they tune it." Here lies the rub....These details are what a lot depends on when it comes to a change like this. I'm probably leaning towards the Quads a this point for the lows. Too bad we won't see any reviews on the V3 for a couple of months!

 
Yep, I would imagine the Quads will remain the most bass heavy of the three. I'm sure they will explain the V3 design and how it differs in sound from the 1964-T. 
 
Aug 6, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #3,311 of 7,417

Kvaksalver

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0
1964 had my impressions and order for a reshell of a set of Quads on the 12th of July. I received a shipping notice this friday, so that's 16 working days. I'm located i Europe, so shipping times are kinda sketchy, but hoping to get them this week...
 
Aug 6, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #3,312 of 7,417

Ultrainferno

Member of the Trade: Headfonia
Joined
Jan 29, 2010
Posts
7,631
Likes
2,350
Quote:
1964 had my impressions and order for a reshell of a set of Quads on the 12th of July. I received a shipping notice this friday, so that's 16 working days. I'm located i Europe, so shipping times are kinda sketchy, but hoping to get them this week...

 
Can you keep us posted on how much custom charged? (if they do). What part of europe are you from?
 
Aug 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #3,315 of 7,417

larrygrant876

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 1, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
10
Hey Ringing ears, you too? On the customs for a re-shell or their 2,3 or 4 driver CIEM's you should have a look at least at Kozee Sound Solutions. They are pretty economical and I think put out a great product. If you are having customs from your own universal fits re-shelled they provide the ear impression kit and you do it yourself, personally it's pretty easy and there are you tube videos to show how it's done. The re-shells I did ran $140 for my UE Triple-fi 10's but the wait will be 3 to 4 months but everyone is more expensive and the wait is still that long. Don't send your metal box or the cables you want to keep though because they will give you a silver braided cable (a good one) but will not return your items.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top