1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 5, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2,612 of 9,124
Hello and good day i would just like to ask your opinion which regards to how the 1964 ears adel a6 would compare in terms of soundstage and overall sound to other ciems specifically the rooth ls8+ or the custom art harmony 8 pro. any opinion would be appreciated.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #2,613 of 9,124

I am with you 100%.  I don't have the U8 but do have the V8 and U12.  I much prefer the V8.  There is nothing wrong with the U12, it's just that the V8 moves me more than the U12.  Maybe its that extra Dr. Dre Bass..... not.

Yeah the 8's are really good. For those whom don't require the absolute purest detail and clarity with faithful reproduction (albeit slightly more powerful) - I would say there really is no need to go higher than the 8's.

Now if I decide to keep my 12's and reshell them to A12's that might be a different matter altogether...

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #2,614 of 9,124
I just keep wondering the amount of difference between v6s and A6 and if it is worth the extra 500 dollars. From what i've gathered it might be a bit better for soundstage and bass extension. Could anyone chime in?

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,615 of 9,124
  I just keep wondering the amount of difference between v6s and A6 and if it is worth the extra 500 dollars. From what i've gathered it might be a bit better for soundstage and bass extension. Could anyone chime in?

Well, the tuning and the driver configuration are exactly the same between the 2. If anything, there might be changes in soundstage/imaging performance due to the ADEL module with the same sound signature. 

I read some impressions about U6 somewhere and it reminded a LOT about my (now disowned) V6s, so I would say the changes would not be so drastic.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,619 of 9,124

Not sure about new orders, but I know they have been busy with their KickStarter fulfillment. Just received my U12 yesterday ! :)

Have you posted any impressions? :D

So, I got mine yesterday. I absolutely don't think there's such a thing as driver 'burn in',  but I do believe in 'brain burn in'. I'm having an odd experience - I've come from some Earsonic's SM64s and not quite sure what to think. Don't get me wrong, the U12's are clearly excellent, it's just that the SM64's seem to have slightly better treble - which is confusing the heck out of me. HOWEVER, I'm also wondering if it's in part due to the fact that the U12 has much better capabilities at separating treble, so is playing what is actually there, rather than a sort of 'driver compressed' version of that.
What do you guys think? 

In a vacuum though, I'd say this: The U12's are great. They have incredibly layered bass, almost like dynamic drivers, but with a much tighter performance. The rest of the music just sounds incredibly natural. If you're after analytical iems, maybe these are not for you - they certainly don't hide anything (like, literally, you can hear EVERYTHING in an uncompressed track). BUT, the highs aren't necessarily very forward. 

They make for a very natural, full, slightly warm sound, and are definitely the closest I've heard that match over ear cans. 

But do let me know your thoughts re the treble - I assume I'm wrong somewhere, there's no way that 12 driver iems of this calibre should be 'worse' right? (Yes, I know it's not all about drivers). 
My plan is to listen to these for ages then go back to the SM64s for a bit to see if thats actually the case, or if it's just my brain not liking change haha!

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,620 of 9,124
  Have you posted any impressions? :D

So, I got mine yesterday. I absolutely don't think there's such a thing as driver 'burn in',  but I do believe in 'brain burn in'. I'm having an odd experience - I've come from some Earsonic's SM64s and not quite sure what to think. Don't get me wrong, the U12's are clearly excellent, it's just that the SM64's seem to have slightly better treble - which is confusing the heck out of me. HOWEVER, I'm also wondering if it's in part due to the fact that the U12 has much better capabilities at separating treble, so is playing what is actually there, rather than a sort of 'driver compressed' version of that.
What do you guys think? 

In a vacuum though, I'd say this: The U12's are great. They have incredibly layered bass, almost like dynamic drivers, but with a much tighter performance. The rest of the music just sounds incredibly natural. If you're after analytical iems, maybe these are not for you - they certainly don't hide anything (like, literally, you can hear EVERYTHING in an uncompressed track). BUT, the highs aren't necessarily very forward. 

They make for a very natural, full, slightly warm sound, and are definitely the closest I've heard that match over ear cans. 

But do let me know your thoughts re the treble - I assume I'm wrong somewhere, there's no way that 12 driver iems of this calibre should be 'worse' right? (Yes, I know it's not all about drivers). 
My plan is to listen to these for ages then go back to the SM64s for a bit to see if thats actually the case, or if it's just my brain not liking change haha!

Been enjoying my U12, but yet to post a impression. So here goes ....

With the comply tips, while isolation may be better, sound could get slightly muffled (I believe this was discussed earlier by the folks who received their U6 & U8s). I have since switched to Spinfits, which feels better. Do note for the Spinfits, do not over insert to the point the tip won't be able to move around freely.

I feel the treble is acceptable, but not at the level of reference headphones I have tried (e.g. Audio Technica ATH R70X). Sound stage is certainly wider, and separation of instruments is fantastic (close your eyes and listen to Kitaro's - Matsuri).

Having followed this discussion group, tmorterlaing if you want treble, U10 / A10 may be what you are after.

But overall, U12 is great and I think the biggest benefit is the perhaps the relief from build up pressures (I used to get from earlier IEMs after 2-3 hours).

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #2,621 of 9,124

With the comply tips, while isolation may be better, sound could get slightly muffled (I believe this was discussed earlier by the folks who received their U6 & U8s). I have since switched to Spinfits, which feels better. Do note for the Spinfits, do not over insert to the point the tip won't be able to move around freely.

I feel the treble is acceptable, but not at the level of reference headphones I have tried (e.g. Audio Technica ATH R70X). Sound stage is certainly wider, and separation of instruments is fantastic (close your eyes and listen to Kitaro's - Matsuri).

Having followed this discussion group, tmorterlaing if you want treble, U10 / A10 may be what you are after.

But overall, U12 is great and I think the biggest benefit is the perhaps the relief from build up pressures (I used to get from earlier IEMs after 2-3 hours).

I don't understand though, surely on an item of this price and calibre with 12 drivers, 'acceptable' isn't enough? I know sound sigs and preference is subjective, but an item this high end should surely be verging on 'perfect' in most ways?

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,622 of 9,124

I agree with the pressure relief. I get to listen to music all day and the difference after a while of listening is huge with the ADEL technology. I would say give yourself more time to listen to the IEMS. Weeks preferably. I have the U8s and at first preferred other IEMS that had more treble extension for certain genres, but the more I listen to my U8s the less listening time the other IEMS get. I love them.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2,623 of 9,124
I agree with the pressure relief. I get to listen to music all day and the difference after a while of listening is huge with the ADEL technology. I would say give yourself more time to listen to the IEMS. Weeks preferably. I have the U8s and at first preferred other IEMS that had more treble extension for certain genres, but the more I listen to my U8s the less listening time the other IEMS get. I love them.

Again, confused - treble extension should be at 'max' on any item of this calibre. I don't understand. I DO understand if its just not as forward - that makes sense, as it's just what sound sig you want. But for anything to be missing (i.e. not 'fully extended') then to me that;s not good enough for anything  above a few hundred bucks...?

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2,625 of 9,124
Hmmm. This seems odd.

First let me say I'm totally in love with my A12 universals! They are everything I hoped for and then more.

I agree with tmorterlaing, at this price treble extension, tone & detail should be nearly unmatched (especially with an in-ear).

Thankfully my experience has the A12's repeatedly showing themselves to be jaw droppingly good (including the treble). In fact, if there was anything I would nitpick on it would be the treble having a wee bit too much sparkle. I've never felt them lacking in treble, and find incredible detail without resorting to artificially boosted treble as with the Beyer T90. For instance, taking a well recorded track with a clear hit on the cymbal and on most all headphones I find it sounds either somewhat dull, smeared, or overly metallic (i.e., hitting sheet metal rather than brass). With the A12 it sounds so clear, bright and natural it's as if I'm right in the room with the drummer. The rimshot as another I find headphones struggling to get right that the A12 delivers on nicely.

Maybe it's my gear? I'm driving them with the Project Ember amp which has always handled these multi-driver IEMs really well. I just got the Samsung S6 Egde+ so this weekend I'll copy some music to it and see how it handles a 12 driver headphone.

A pair of SM64 are sitting in my drawer so I'll give them a run too, and report back what I hear.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back