1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 3, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,599 of 9,124
I just got my A12's back from RMA. Is it normal for the drivers to be positioned differently in each monitor? in one the smallest set is at the top-in the other it's at the middle. They all go to the same sound tubes in each monitor, just their vertical placement is different. Before I sent them off it was like this in both left and rifght monitors: smallest quad set at top, next smallest in the middle and the bass set at the bottom.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #2,600 of 9,124
I just got my A12's back from RMA. Is it normal for the drivers to be positioned differently in each monitor? in one the smallest set is at the top-in the other it's at the middle. They all go to the same sound tubes in each monitor, just their vertical placement is different. Before I sent them off it was like this in both left and rifght monitors: smallest quad set at top, next smallest in the middle and the bass set at the bottom.

I don't think the position of the drivers is of any concern; I think the person assembling the IEM fits them in as good a configuration as they can. Did you have your A12's reshelled?

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #2,601 of 9,124
Position of drivers always matter, as it affects the length of acoustic tubing, which in turn affects acoustic damping, phase and timing. If drivers are vented it can affect the vented space around them, etc. in other words, call 64 Audio and discuss with them. Have pictures ready if needed to help them troubleshoot. There can very well be a logical explanation but it does no good to have all us armchair quarterbacks to speculate.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,602 of 9,124
I don't think the position of the drivers is of any concern; I think the person assembling the IEM fits them in as good a configuration as they can. Did you have your A12's reshelled?

I had a cosmetic internal crack in the lacquer repaired and the drivers had to be removed to fix the crack.  I should add that the sound quality is F'ing brilliant. I couldn't listen to music more than a hour or two a day with my skull candies.  I love these things, the audio fatigue is zilch.  Can't wait to get a mojo. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,603 of 9,124
Position of drivers always matter, as it affects the length of acoustic tubing, which in turn affects acoustic damping, phase and timing. If drivers are vented it can affect the vented space around them, etc. in other words, call 64 Audio and discuss with them. Have pictures ready if needed to help them troubleshoot. There can very well be a logical explanation but it does no good to have all us armchair quarterbacks to speculate.

Good point, also I should add that it was not a reshell.  The same shell was used, the drivers removed and re-inserted when the repair was done.  Therefore I'm guessing the sound tubes are the same length since the same shell was used.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,604 of 9,124

Good point, also I should add that it was not a reshell.  The same shell was used, the drivers removed and re-inserted when the repair was done.  Therefore I'm guessing the sound tubes are the same length since the same shell was used.

The positioning is almost always a little different for me and many people simply because the size of your ears are different. For my UERM, my left ear is so small they actually had to change where they usually place their crossovers circuits to accommodate. But yes, SGS explains it nicely. Also, trust your ears!

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,605 of 9,124
All,

Just wanted to share a little bit of my experience for the not-so audiophile few whom read these forums.
I hope to help anyone deciding between the U8/U12 - I didn't see any direct comparisons for the U8/U12's and I struggled to decide which one to buy - so I purchased both.

About my tastes:
For the record I am slightly bass biased but not to the extent of a true basshead. In fact my daily IEM is a pair of Vsonic GR07 (and not the bass edition either).
I listen to everything from pop, ballads, metal and a bunch of Jap/Korean/chinese music. I don't listen to country, jazz or classical.

Quick Summary first:
U12 - super accurate, clear & detailed, balanced, zero sibilance, extremely clean sound - For those who like a neutral earphone with full detail.
u8 - strong thick full controlled bass with zero muddiness, while maintaining detail, immersing sound. - For bassheads whom still want great depth of detail.

My impressions of both:

My first impression of the U8's is that they very detailed with a definite bass emphasis. The bass is however is extremely well rounded, deep and thick. There is no bass bleed and it's just so well controlled. One thing I did notice though was the tiniest of sibilance on one or two tracks in my playlist. if I wasn't essentially auditioning the earphones I probably wouldn't have noticed it but I did pick it up. The sound is immersing and I would say they have a slight warm sig. The detail is very very impressive for a IEM with this amount of quality bass.

My first impression of the u12's was they were neutral and extremely accurate & detailed. Soundstage is slightly more impressive than the U8's.
I've read comments of some people shying away from the A12's because of the bass and leaning more towards the more mid-centric A10's. I can understand the preference of a non-bass heavy and neutral IEM but I really don't agree that the U12's are really bass heavy. I think the u12's reproduce bass fairly faithfully but with a bit more power than a strictly neutral sounding IEM, but maybe this is just my bass bias taking over. Bassheads will most likely be underwhelmed by the bass of the U12's (in compaison to the U8's).

When I bought the U12's one of my worries was that the U12's would be too analytical which is the impression I've had of the JH13's. I am happy to report this is not the case. The U12's like the U8's have a slightly warmer sound and are very smooth.

So which do I prefer? The U8's because of 2 reasons - The bass & detail.
The bass is just such high quality that I can't overlook it. Regarding detail - for me and my somewhat amateur ears - I really didn't notice any crucial loss of details when listening normally. It's only when I compared them side by side one after another was there any noticeable difference and only slightly so. We have to remember we are talking about some really high calibre multiple driver IEM's here - not ur ipod specials. The 'loss' of detail of the U8 compared to the U12's in my opinion is simply not big enough for me to worry about. The law of diminishing return applies here in my opinion.

U8's for me are also more immersing due to the depth and bass. I was and still am blown away by the amount of detail presented so I really see the U8's as the best of both worlds of bass and detail.

So in the end I will probably end up selling my U12's here because I couldn't be happier with the U8's.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #2,606 of 9,124
Interesting impressions @dodobird. I got the U8s and the more I listen to them, the more I like them. I also like a little bass on my music, but not too much. I was surprise that the U8s were not as bassy, as I feared. They sound just right to me and it's good quality bass that doesn't make them sound muddy. I listen to lots of styles of music and for certain genres, I do prefer something a little more neutral. I'm debating about getting the A6 or the A12 next. I sometimes, get the impression that the A6 may have more bass than the A12. Does anyone here own the A12 and the A6 or the V6 Stage for comparisons on this?

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #2,607 of 9,124

To be honest - I don't know how much more bass you would really want with the U8's without them turning muddy and transforming into your run of the mill beat's by Dre.
For my untrained ears - they sit pretty much perfectly for me.

Like I mentioned - the only thing I noticed is that touch of sibilance that I spoke about. I only really hear it on certain tracks though. I.e. impossible cover by James Arthur. (source samsumg galaxy s6 edge, 192kb mp3)

btw I could also see the u12's being outstanding for vocal tracks. I wouldn't call them strictly neutral though. As a reference I consider GR07's balanced and neutral. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #2,608 of 9,124
Actually the driver reconfiguration is s sound improvement according to 1964, as are other changes I've noticed as well and they've confirmed,

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #2,609 of 9,124

To be honest - I don't know how much more bass you would really want with the U8's without them turning muddy and transforming into your run of the mill beat's by Dre.
For my untrained ears - they sit pretty much perfectly for me.

Like I mentioned - the only thing I noticed is that touch of sibilance that I spoke about. I only really hear it on certain tracks though. I.e. impossible cover by James Arthur. (source samsumg galaxy s6 edge, 192kb mp3)

btw I could also see the u12's being outstanding for vocal tracks. I wouldn't call them strictly neutral though. As a reference I consider GR07's balanced and neutral. 

I am with you 100%.  I don't have the U8 but do have the V8 and U12.  I much prefer the V8.  There is nothing wrong with the U12, it's just that the V8 moves me more than the U12.  Maybe its that extra Dr. Dre Bass..... not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back