1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #571 of 9,124
To my ears the problem with thr V8 is the bass emphasis extends too high resulting in a mid-bass hump that bleed s into the mids - with a negative impact on mid clarity and tonality.

Vitally addressed this specific question stating the A12 bass with the ADEL at hand would not have this problem.

He said specifically that the mid-bass bleed is resonance of the bass that can't escape inside your eardrum. He mentioned that tapping your ear will produce the same mid-bass sound which you hear that people claim "muddies" the mids. Because of the second eardrum (ADEL), there is less resonance thus it sounds natural and not muddy. That's what he said, I can't attest to any of it.

Only thing I can think of that relates to this is that we all know low frequencies travel well and need to be treated with traps. Thus, ADEL acts as a trap.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #572 of 9,124
Yet people didn't seem to hesitate throwing over a million dollars at Light Harmonic for dac/amp hardware sight unseen / unheard / unreviewed.

I'm sure other companies have taken the same path- but I'm saying that to a consumer a product such as a CIEM (which can be made in very small batches) should be distributed for review ahead of time. Tooling and injection molding for a phone case, (I don't know if this applies) Light Harmonic's products; or the creation of a art project like a short film aren't feasible to have before the funding- the A10/A12 are different.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #574 of 9,124
Ah, Vitally also mentioned they will carry on with there tradition of offering a discount when a new product is launched and available for order. Not the 40% discount of the Kickstarter, but a short term discount nonetheless. IIRC the V8 was $100 off (or $799) for a couple of months at launch. So the A10 and A12 would follow this.pattern.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #575 of 9,124
He said specifically that the mid-bass bleed is resonance of the bass that can't escape inside your eardrum. He mentioned that tapping your ear will produce the same mid-bass sound which you hear that people claim "muddies" the mids. Because of the second eardrum (ADEL), there is less resonance thus it sounds natural and not muddy. That's what he said, I can't attest to any of it.

Only thing I can think of that relates to this is that we all know low frequencies travel well and need to be treated with traps. Thus, ADEL acts as a trap.

Yes, it sounded to me like U8 should have less mid-bass issues than V8, although some are more sensitive than others.

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #576 of 9,124
Ah, Vitally also mentioned they will carry on with there tradition of offering a discount when a new product is launched and available for order. Not the 40% discount of the Kickstarter, but a short term discount nonetheless. IIRC the V8 was $100 off (or $799) for a couple of months at launch. So the A10 and A12 would follow this.pattern.

I fell asleep half way through, but he also said that the V series would increase in price once they introduce ADEL right? Did he mention the prices?

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #578 of 9,124
I fell asleep half way through, but he also said that the V series would increase in price once they introduce ADEL right? Did he mention the prices?

I don't think so. I heard the A series will increase in price once introduced compared to the V series due to the added tech.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #580 of 9,124
They said during the webcast that it would be before the end of the campaign. If it's not, then I would think a lot of people (myself included) are going to pull back their funding. While the information session was good, it really boils down to everyone wanting someone knowledgeable to actual review the things. That and the fact that they announced the next stretch goal at a seemingly impossible funding goal would annoy me too much to gamble with a couple hundred $

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #581 of 9,124
lol
Stephen mentioned A12 is hugely better than Roxanne and Vitaliy stated that the A12 is in a different league. That's a dangerous game to play, instilling such big expectations in us..

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #582 of 9,124
Honestly, the whole kickstarter looks like it's for the 'Apple earbud upgraders' crowd. A different colour? A microphone option? And now a new case... The A series seems like an afterthought.

Compare that to the Supra- upgraded internals. New cables. Dual colour customisation options for the look. 2nd set of tips (I don't use foamies, but if you do, this is amazingly useful).

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #583 of 9,124

Let me guess, very conveniently after the kickstarter campaign has ended?

They said that the test set had been delivered yesterday to xxx off head-fi (I can't remember the name of the member they said?) so you'd have thought there already some listening hours on them to get a provisional review.....

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #584 of 9,124
To say that I am disappointed with 1964's new stretch goal would be an understatement.  Unless the stretch goal is subsequently lowered to $500,000, the goal will not be achieved - no matter how optimistic the Creator is.

In addition to getting the U8, I seriously considered getting a pair of Ambient 12, or upgrading to A10/A12.  But now?  Probably not.  The lack of information/reviews, the unenthusiastic stretch goals (a mic cable that could deteriorate the sound quality and probably not very useful for some music listeners?  an alternative color option that should have been there in the first place?  and now an earphone case that will probably not be delivered?), and the selective response from the Creator ... these make the entire project a huge letdown.

I really don't want to divert to the other Kickstarter project in this thread.  But being a backer of both projects, I would say EarWerkz is much more promising - their stretch goals set a very high standard, and really show their commitment and sincerity.  Seriously, they deserve some support and recognition.

(And LH ... well, I am at a loss for words.  Counting on their success (in terms of product performance) in their previous projects, I have pledged quite a large amount.  But perhaps I only have myself to blame.  I know that there would be delays, but I don't know that they would use all kinds of techniques to frustrate the early backers - keep pushing out new products without delivering the old ones; and keep pushing out even better bargains only for the late backers.  And even after receiving some criticism, they would continue to ignore the early backers, and try their very best to attract more new customers.  I know they are running a business and have mouths to feed - but I am so tired of receiving more updates of new products and new perks from them.  Again, there is going to be a really long wait - a wait for the promise of good products that may never come. )

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #585 of 9,124
I agree with you, but..... What's the price on some great sounding IEM's? We're getting universal (well I am) V8's for a massive discount. Plus some unknown ADEL tech that might be great or rubbish. If 1964 had offered universal V8's without a case, and in only 2 colours, for the price I'm getting them at, I'd have bitten their hands off.
Sure, some fancy stretch goals would have been lovely. But an extra set of tips, or a cable that might make 0.01% difference isn't a deal breaker for me.
I'm more keen to hear a review of the demo unit than stretch goals. If they don't sound great, then I might bin off my support. But I've not heard of 1964 making a bad product yet....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back