1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 5, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #4,576 of 9,124
Yeah - sorry about that.  I'm going to try and do the photography today.  It's basically written, and just needs a final edit, and photos added.

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #4,577 of 9,124

I think this is a wake up call for anyone who uses IEMs for extended periods of time in a day.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the audiophiles on here, but I often wear/use mine for 8+ hours on a weekend, while playing live music.
Being "live", the audio we monitor comes with all kinds of added artifacts, distortion, frequencies outside hearing range, and harmonics that have nothing to do with the music itself. It's not like listening to CD's... it's not "raw" either and the IEM mixes can be pretty good with appropriate used of stereo mixes and effects.
This has been shown to cause ear fatigue over time and folks "turn up" during the gig - to compensate!
A friend clued me into a product called REV33 - designed for monitoring live music that passively removes all those artifacts, giving you clean monitoring all night.
They match a device to your IEM's.. so I bought the ProTan unit for my 1964 Qi's and it has been everything it promised. I'm actually turning DOWN as the night progresses.

It's unclear whether I'll need one for my A8's (not yet finished) based on commentary here, but I'm more than willing to do so.
Thought this might be worth exploring.. YMMV

PS: I have no affiliation with REV33, I'm simply a customer.

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4,578 of 9,124
I looked into Rev33 a few months ago but never really understood what they do. Since you have one, could you explain what it does based on what you're hearing?

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #4,579 of 9,124
I'm not sure if this is relevant to the audiophiles on here, but I often wear/use mine for 8+ hours on a weekend, while playing live music.
Being "live", the audio we monitor comes with all kinds of added artifacts, distortion, frequencies outside hearing range, and harmonics that have nothing to do with the music itself. It's not like listening to CD's... it's not "raw" either and the IEM mixes can be pretty good with appropriate used of stereo mixes and effects.
This has been shown to cause ear fatigue over time and folks "turn up" during the gig - to compensate!
A friend clued me into a product called REV33 - designed for monitoring live music that passively removes all those artifacts, giving you clean monitoring all night.
They match a device to your IEM's.. so I bought the ProTan unit for my 1964 Qi's and it has been everything it promised. I'm actually turning DOWN as the night progresses.

It's unclear whether I'll need one for my A8's (not yet finished) based on commentary here, but I'm more than willing to do so.
Thought this might be worth exploring.. YMMV

PS: I have no affiliation with REV33, I'm simply a customer.

Thanks for sharing. I am sure we have some live performers here and others visiting the forum as guests who will find the info useful.

UE also sells something similar called the UE Sound Guard.

As for audiophiles/casual listeners, I am guessing this can come in handy, if they listen to albums that were recorded poorly and contain unintended artifacts and spikes.

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #4,580 of 9,124
The iPhone / smartphone apps aren't accurate.  And jamming a tip against the mic isn't simulating an IEM in your ear.

My advice - get an SPL meter - they're not that expensive, and very worth it - not only for checking your listening level, but also for volume matching if you are ever A/Bing.  Simple but crude set-up (see photo).

Methodology
  1. Choose IEMs
  2. Play in DAP at your normal comfortable listening level
  3. Keep track playing, insert eartip into coupling tube - leaving around 0.5-1.0 cm away from tip of the meter (simulating an ear canal)
  4. Note approx average reading on SPL meter using C weighting (with track I'm listening to now - Sultans of Swing, I'm at volume 22 on my X7 (AM2 module) with the U6 (auto modules installed). It is plenty loud for me. SPL is varying mostly between about 65 dB and 70 dB with some occasional parts lower and louder.
  5. Switch meter to Hold/Max - so it measure the loudest peak and let it play for a minute.  Loudest peak I got was just under 74 dB.

Notes:
  1. The coupler I use is simply stiff paper rolled into a tube, and then lined inside and outside with tape to give it a lot of rigidity.  I intend to get a actual piece of plastic specifically for the job so that it is more accurate (just haven't had the time to look yet)
  2. Tips must be large enough to seal properly in the coupler.  My coupler is specifically sized for this purpose.
  3. I probably listen a lot quieter than many of you - and considering I have permanent tinnitus already I do find it troubling that I can do this and be satisfied (despite the constant background ringing) while some of you may be listening at 4-8 times as loud as my default. My hearing really isn't that good (49 yo, and nothing much above 14-15 kHz).
  4. Should also qualify - I am in a room by myself, there is little background noise (apart from the hum of a PC fan) - so it is pretty quiet.  And I get an extremely good seal

Thanks for this info brooko. Say, I am willing to spend $50 on an SPL meter, would I benefit from buying the Veritas instead, by spending $30 more.

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #4,581 of 9,124
  I looked into Rev33 a few months ago but never really understood what they do. Since you have one, could you explain what it does based on what you're hearing?

Per their web site.. I don't begin to understand HOW it does it, but the clarity in live audio is very REAL .. I have 40+ hrs use since I got it and I won't gig without it.. my hearing is thanking me..
again, idk if this device is any use to folks other than those who do live audio..
and.. NO AFFILIATION with the company.. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REV33 Delivers Unsurpassed Audio Clarity To Your In-Ear Monitors— without the noise and distortion​

See how we do it​

All in-ear monitors and headphones generate damaging, unwanted noise and distortion that forces the ear to shut down and compress for protection.

The REV33 dramatically reduces the symptoms of tinnitus, ear-ringing, ear-fatigue, buzzing and dampened hearing by preventing in-ear monitors and headphones from producing this unwanted noise and distortion.

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #4,582 of 9,124
Thanks for this info @brooko. Say, I am willing to spend $50 on an SPL meter, would I benefit from buying the Veritas instead, by spending $30 more.

If your intent is measuring IEMS - for either building or reviewing - then yep.  If it's just for testing SPL - then no.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #4,583 of 9,124
  on my iphone i use ue spl

That will be very helpful. 'Decibel Ultra' for iPhone

So I tried both apps along with my Galaxy CM130 SPL meter. I used the C weight like @Brooko recommends. For reference, I played it straight from Itunes, using a macbook at volume level "l" which is where I listen to at most times. For a reference song I used "Pillowtalk" by Zayn and used my U8s. On my SPL meter, it averaged between 62 - 64 dbs (C-weight) on the loudest pieces. However, I wasn't able to get consistent measurements on the apps (c-weight also) and had to just stick the ear tip straight on top of the iphone's mic. I found that the "UE spl" app was a little closer and more consistent and on average was about 5 - 7 dbs louder. The Decibel Ultra app was at times about 10 dbs louder, but not as consistent, as the UE app. 

Overall, I know it's not the most effective way to measure, but I think one could get a general idea on how loud one is listening. Pretty interesting. By the way, I tried to match 96 dbs on the UE app and it was pretty loud for me, but I also listen at very low volumes. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #4,584 of 9,124

Not the clearest picture but the chips look like white scratches...

The Bass is definitely there and well balanced. Punchy, clear and articulated. Truly is amazing

The soundstage is crazy! A couple times when I closed my eyes I was caught off and thought someone was in my house! You hear EVERYTHING. Hearing the artist tap his foot or breathing away from the mic... It's pretty amazing how you feel like you're there In front of a live band

If for whatever reason, Alex doesn't get back to you by this time tomorrow, let me know and I'll text him or Isabel (the other person in customer service). I work remotely from Boulder, so I can't just walk upstairs to their office. 

They're always busy but still have a really quick turn around time on emails, calling is always the quickest option if you don't like waiting for email.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #4,585 of 9,124
If for whatever reason, Alex doesn't get back to you by this time tomorrow, let me know and I'll text him or Isabel (the other person in customer service). I work remotely from Boulder, so I can't just walk upstairs to their office. 

They're always busy but still have a really quick turn around time on emails, calling is always the quickest option if you don't like waiting for email.

They got back to me right after I posted this. Best customer service I have ever experienced!

They said it's a pocket of air between the acrylic and wood grain. And that It's a rare occurrence, they replace it if it happens in the lab but in some cases it develops during transit (potentially due to temperature or pressure if transported by plane)

I sent my in ears back to be fixed.. They will get them tomorrow... I wonder how long the turn around is for something like this? I'm missing them already! Lol

I have to say again though, it's really amazing to work with 64 Audio.. At every turn they treat me in ways that surprise me! It's truly refreshing to come across a company that makes an incredible product and then matches that product with incredible service. I didn't think companies like this exsisted anymore! Lol They really should be teaching other companies customer service :) I really do feel like I'm being treated by a good friend or family member. I will be in the 64 Audio family the rest of my life.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #4,586 of 9,124
  Assuming the mic on your phone is accurate at those levels that is probably right. Remember for an iem, SPL will be higher in your ear when you get a proper seal, which is harder to emulate outside the ear.

Agree. A couple of months back I used to listen from my Fiio X3ii at around ~48/120. And I came across a similar discussion about hearing loss in one of the threads here, and became concerned and I ended up bringing the volume down to ~40/100. Soon my ears got acclimated to this lower volume. I presumed I was well under the safe limit. Apparently not. Now I am dialing it further down to ~36/120. Hopefully my ears will adjust to this level soon.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #4,587 of 9,124

If your intent is measuring IEMS - for either building or reviewing - then yep.  If it's just for testing SPL - then no.

Thanks.

In that case, an SPL meter would do just fine for my current needs..

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,588 of 9,124

So I tried both apps along with my Galaxy CM130 SPL meter. I used the C weight like @Brooko recommends. For reference, I played it straight from Itunes, using a macbook at volume level "l" which is where I listen to at most times. For a reference song I used "Pillowtalk" by Zayn and used my U8s. On my SPL meter, it averaged between 62 - 64 dbs (C-weight) on the loudest pieces. However, I wasn't able to get consistent measurements on the apps (c-weight also) and had to just stick the ear tip straight on top of the iphone's mic. I found that the "UE spl" app was a little closer and more consistent and on average was about 5 - 7 dbs louder. The Decibel Ultra app was at times about 10 dbs louder, but not as consistent, as the UE app. 

Overall, I know it's not the most effective way to measure, but I think one could get a general idea on how loud one is listening. Pretty interesting. By the way, I tried to match 96 dbs on the UE app and it was pretty loud for me, but I also listen at very low volumes. 

Thank you. I must say, I am a bit relieved. Regardless, I am going to dial it down to 36/120 and give it a try.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #4,589 of 9,124

so according to this the ue spl shows higher db than using the spl meter, which is good, as I will start playing my music around 70 db then using the ue spl

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #4,590 of 9,124

How's the connectivity? Is it like mojo in that I can just plug it up to my phone and maybe click a box or two on the phone and voila I'm good?

I have had the MOJO for a few weeks, to compare it with my OPPO HA-2 in combination with the A12's. The MOJO can be connected to an iphone or an android phone, BUT you CAN NOT make it work with android music streaming apps like spotify or tidal. This does not work with the mojo. You can use USB audio player pro to listen to your flacs on your phone. I did not test with an Iphone. 

Soundwise for me the OPPO HA-2 was a lot more detailed compared to the MOJO. And the OPPO-HA2 works out of the box with all devices that are out there. 

I think The MOJO has also an ugly design with all the colors of the rainbow on them :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back