1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 2, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,516 of 9,124
As far as universals go, i bought the RHA T20i yesterday as an upgrade to my sony ex650.

Im now stuck, do I get good foam tips to get the best of the T20 or return them and go for the se846 or U6.

I would think as far as universals go, for rock, r n b, hip hop those two would pretty much be TOTL kind of sound, coming from what ive used. I dont want to go custom route. These are both roughly the same cost once converted to uk pound

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #4,517 of 9,124
What would be a bigger improvement in achieving a more neutral sound from the ADEL series? Going from an A12 to an A10 or keeping the A12 and replacing my Mojo with a Hugo?

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #4,518 of 9,124
  What would be a bigger improvement in achieving a more neutral sound from the ADEL series? Going from an A12 to an A10 or keeping the A12 and replacing my Mojo with a Hugo?

In my experience changing a source can tighten the bass and remove some warmth. But can't make it neutral. Even EQ'ing will still leave traces of some thickness and warmth. If you look at inearspace's graphs of A10 and A12, there is a difference of 6dB in the ~100Hz area. Which is a lot of bass that cannot be flattened out by a simple change of source. 

But what is interesting is, these 3 2 reviews call the A12 Neutral with a touch of warmth:

http://headfonics.com/2015/09/the-a12-ciem-by-64-audio/

Edit: This review does not state that the A12 is neutral or balanced. My bad.
 http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1015/64_Audio_A12_Custom_In_Ear_Monitors_Review.htm  

http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-review-1964ears-1964-adel-a12/

Even @Hiking Mike confirmed that he finds the A12 to be pretty balanced without excessive bass. My guess is, it is the ADEL module that is causing the variation in the perceived bass between people. May be the MAM will help balance the bass out. The way I am seeing it, the best way to balance the A12 would be: A12 + MAM + Silver Cable + Good Source

But if you are someone who prefers a neutral signature, I am not sure even that setup could yield a perfectly neutral sound. In that case A10 will be the way to go.

I will be receiving the U10 and U12 from 64Audio next week for demo. I can let you know how different the bass is on both. In case you live somewhere close to Austin, TX area, and if you are free to meet, you can try both yourself.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #4,519 of 9,124
esm87-For me stock tips worked best with RHA, both T10 and T20. I still own the T10, the T20 were definitely better, just not worth it to keep both. I actually sold my se846 when I received the T10, I like them that much.

Not sure about the U6, but 64 ears is well received here... So I'd imagine they would sound extremely good.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,520 of 9,124
Cheers warrior, im really tempted on the U6. I imagine with customs/shipping it would come in at around £750ish. 6 drivers, that would be my end game. Im going to let the T20 burn in all week then see how I feel bout it. The T20 may sound very good, im after stunning audio which I would think the U6 is closer to.

I havnt tried the double flange yet but I cant get on with the sound difference in the stock silicone tips. The supplied foam sound best to me but are not comfortable, i imagine I'll pick up the INAIRS1 foam tips to try.

I feel im pretty close to the sound Im after. When i really started concentrating on listening to music I was scared it would cost a considerable investment for the rype of sound Im after lol

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #4,522 of 9,124

I have both for my A12s and prefer my Hugo over the Mojo, hands down. Tighter, more authority, wider sound stage, bit more sparkly & detailed. Mojo is fantastic but Hugo is a clear step up. 

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #4,527 of 9,124
No fun going down this rabbit hole....

In my experience changing a source can tighten the bass and remove some warmth. But can't make it neutral. Even EQ'ing will still leave traces of some thickness and warmth. If you look at inearspace's graphs of A10 and A12, there is a difference of 6dB in the ~100Hz area. Which is a lot of bass that cannot be flattened out by a simple change of source. 

But what is interesting is, these 3 reviews call the A12 Neutral with a touch of warmth:

http://headfonics.com/2015/09/the-a12-ciem-by-64-audio/

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1015/64_Audio_A12_Custom_In_Ear_Monitors_Review.htm

http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-review-1964ears-1964-adel-a12/

Even @Hiking Mike confirmed that he finds the A12 to be pretty balanced without excessive bass. My guess is, it is the ADEL module that is causing the variation in the perceived bass between people. May be the MAM will help balance the bass out. The way I am seeing it, the best way to balance the A12 would be: A12 + MAM + Silver Cable + Good Source

But if you are someone who prefers a neutral signature, I am not sure even that setup could yield a perfectly neutral sound. In that case A10 will be the way to go.

I will be receiving the U10 and U12 from 64Audio next week for demo. I can let you know how different the bass is on both. In case you live somewhere close to Austin, TX area, and if you are free to meet, you can try both yourself.

A12 is not even close to neutral or "balanced", but you may be right-it could be the module and it's interaction with different peoples ear anatomy.  I would consider upgrading in this order: MAM, sell mojo buy Hugo then MAYBE a cable but I doubt it. 

THANK YOU for the offer friend, but I'm about a thousand miles north of you so it won't work.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love my A12's-I've never owned anything like them, just working on lifting the veil a bit. 

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #4,528 of 9,124
Apr 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #4,529 of 9,124
Keep the A12 and change the DAC. I loved my Calx M but it is not a good match with the A12. Warm DAC + warm IEM. It was too dark and a veil over the music.

I since bought a used Hifiman 901 and it is very good now. The 901 has more detailed and more forward.

And to illustrate this point further, if I plug into my home system consisting of a Violectric V281 amp and Meitner MA-1 DAC, there is more veil at all.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #4,530 of 9,124
I have both for my A12s and prefer my Hugo over the Mojo, hands down. Tighter, more authority, wider sound stage, bit more sparkly & detailed. Mojo is fantastic but Hugo is a clear step up. 

I agree. While mojo is every bit as technically capable as the Hugo, the Hugo tuning works better for me on all of my IEMs, including my V8 and the U12 I heard. This is a pity as I can really use a smaller (and cheaper)version of Hugo but ther different tuning made it hard for me as I kept missing the Hugo. I do feel Hugo presents more resolution and sound more neutral and natural to me. But there are plenty other Hugo owners who think hugo is a bit too bright and prefer the mojo sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back