1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 27, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,397 of 9,124
I play bass in the worship band and had the opportunity to demo the U4 and a universal V6-S with the supplied demo tips this weekend. I found the V6-S to have better mids and highs than the U4, but the bass did not stand out enough for me to really hear myself. The bass on the U4 was better, but it tended to overwhelm the rest of the sound. I ended up using the U4 for most of our services, but if I had my pick, I would have liked the U4 with a little less bass or the V6-S with a little more bass. All of this was through a small, inexpensive headphone amp with a mono mix (all that is available from the board). No EQ.

The demo information said that "Generally the demos have a little more highs and a little less bass compared to the customs." As I want to go the custom and not universal route, this would tend to make me believe that the A4 would have even more bass than the U4 ... not in the direction I really want to go. Am I wrong in my thought process here?

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #4,398 of 9,124
Given the VERY low impedance of 64 Audio IEMs I would check the impedance matching between the IEM and your source/amp.  On my phone the U8 is a bass monster and kind of muddy, but out of a 0.1 Ohm amp they sound well balanced with slightly rolled off highs.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,399 of 9,124
  WHy don't you buy from 1964 Audio website? You don't have to wait, just go there and click on Order, done.

I will come Black Friday if I don't find a good deal on a used pair before then. Why would  I pay full retail on a very expensive product that will loose 25-40% of it' value as soon as I open the package? That's $400-640.00. With the savings alone, could  buy another mid-grade IEM or a couple of quality cables for that, or add a couple hundred dollars to it and buy a quality DAP. You get it...  

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #4,400 of 9,124
No problem. Yes, that is my concern as well and the reason I am unable to decide between the A10 and A12. It'll be nice if 64Audio offered the MAM as a default option. 

@Wilderbeast
, I see that you owned an IE80 in the past. If you could speak from your memory, would you say that your A12(with Auto modules) is bassier than the IE80?

Thanks for your help.

I can't answer that properly, I'm afraid - I could never find tips that gave a good enough seal on the IE80 - the included tips were useless!

My A12s are easily the bassist IEMs I've owned. With the Auto Module I think the A10 would have better suited my needs. I'm certain my A12s will be 'put right' with the MAM though, going by what others have said.

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #4,401 of 9,124
Hey folks, graduating from my RHA T20i's to either the A-12 with manual ADEL when finally released in a few months or the ZEUS, after extensive research still perplexed as to the first among equals here...other gear:  Fiio X7, I suppose with the Mojo if you advise.  Please advise I'd like to move toward a purchase .  Had long, detailed discussion with Steve at 64audio, whom you all know, have not spoken with Jack yet.  Looking for detailed, warm, full sound, expansive sound-stage, great detail, EDM, jazz, rock - no metal,lieder, opera and even disco, mostly in flac.  Is ADEL technology truly saving hearing longevity or a gimmick...thanks, RobSF.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #4,402 of 9,124
I can't answer that properly, I'm afraid - I could never find tips that gave a good enough seal on the IE80 - the included tips were useless!

My A12s are easily the bassist IEMs I've owned. With the Auto Module I think the A10 would have better suited my needs. I'm certain my A12s will be 'put right' with the MAM though, going by what others have said.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I have the A12's correctly matched to a neutral source with .075 output impedance(chord mojo) so I should be getting the best treble I can get from a source based on the impedance matching.

I'm looking at the MAM to level out the A12's first and then if that doesn't get me where I want, one of those fancy audiophile silver twag cables that may brighten the sound a bit. 

I think the MAM will probably do it, hope anyway.

I'm not hating on my A12's by the way, I absolutely love them.  Just wish I could get the sound a smidge brighter and get a little more treble out of them and I'd never need another ciem/iem ever.  I understand why Vitaly tuned them with more bass, because if you don't overdo the bass a bit you won't notice a difference with the manual modules. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #4,403 of 9,124

I'm in the same boat as you.  I have the A12's correctly matched to a neutral source with .075 output impedance(chord mojo) so I should be getting the best treble I can get from a source based on the impedance matching.

I'm looking at the MAM to level out the A12's first and then if that doesn't get me where I want, one of those fancy audiophile silver twag cables that may brighten the sound a bit. 

I think the MAM will probably do it, hope anyway.

I'm not hating on my A12's by the way, I absolutely love them.  Just wish I could get the sound a smidge brighter and get a little more treble out of them and I'd never need another ciem/iem ever.  I understand why Vitaly tuned them with more bass, because if you don't overdo the bass a bit you won't notice a difference with the manual modules. 

You mirror my thoughts exactly.

It's a little frustrating because I understand the A12's potential - If I eq down the bass (I dislike using eq at all) I get a sense of how good they are. 

I've also tried listening with my Mojo; it's a slightly warm source and the result isn't great. However, when I use my Hugo, which is neutral (or slightly bright) it sounds better. It's almost, almost a wonderful sound. 

Bring on the MAM!

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #4,404 of 9,124
The cable will absolutely help.

Btw, I have been using a Calyx M with my A12 and even though the silver cable helped, the treble wasn't enough and the bass overwhelmed. It got better when I switched the impedance setting. The Calyx is a very warm DAP.

However I just purchased a Hifiman 901 from a member and what a difference. A much more forward sound and now got that treble that I was looking for. It also made an already wide soundstage, even wider.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,405 of 9,124
The cable will absolutely help.

Btw, I have been using a Calyx M with my A12 and even though the silver cable helped, the treble wasn't enough and the bass overwhelmed. It got better when I switched the impedance setting. The Calyx is a very warm DAP.

However I just purchased a Hifiman 901 from a member and what a difference. A much more forward sound and now got that treble that I was looking for. It also made an already wide soundstage, even wider.

I like the idea of the hifiman and it has legendary sound, but I need my streaming and for that I need a phone. =/ Don't really want to carry around another device right now, my streaming consists of bandcamp and youtube.

Pardon my ignorance, but if the Calyx M is "very warm" shouldn't it be produce an even more veiled sound than the mojo?  Mojo is pretty much perfectly neutral with a slight rolloff in treble to make it easily listenable for hours on end.  I appreciate that my A12's have never demonstrated ANY sibilance even with the most grating recordings I have, but a little more treble would be welcome.

If only the 901 was a sleek modern touchscreen style device that could access apps, something like the ZX2! =P

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,406 of 9,124

You mirror my thoughts exactly.

It's a little frustrating because I understand the A12's potential - If I eq down the bass (I dislike using eq at all) I get a sense of how good they are. 

I've also tried listening with my Mojo; it's a slightly warm source and the result isn't great. However, when I use my Hugo, which is neutral (or slightly bright) it sounds better. It's almost, almost a wonderful sound. 

Bring on the MAM!

I'm also leaning toward Hugo since I've become addicted to the timing of transients (the chord sound), the music just sounds so alive.  I think I'll wait and see if they release a DAP soon, I believe they will in 2017-2018, even if they don't Hugo prices will have come down and maybe I can score a good trade for my mojo for a Hugo down the line to get me that extra little bit of treble.

I think the MAM modules will take care of us.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #4,407 of 9,124

I like the idea of the hifiman and it has legendary sound, but I need my streaming and for that I need a phone. =/ Don't really want to carry around another device right now, my streaming consists of bandcamp and youtube.

Pardon my ignorance, but if the Calyx M is "very warm" shouldn't it be produce an even more veiled sound than the mojo?  Mojo is pretty much perfectly neutral with a slight rolloff in treble to make it easily listenable for hours on end.  I appreciate that my A12's have never demonstrated ANY sibilance even with the most grating recordings I have, but a little more treble would be welcome.

If only the 901 was a sleek modern touchscreen style device that could access apps, something like the ZX2! =P

To me, the Calyx M is warmer than the Mojo and therefore have a more veiled sound. I never thought the Mojo was warm at all. 

I do agree that the UI on the Hifiman isn't great and it doesn't have wifi. However it seems like we have to make compromises. I guess there isn't a DAP that checks all boxes.

Btw, to me the 901 sounds better than the ZX2. Also the ZX2 doesn't play very loud. I'm glad the ADEL module saves my hearing. 
atsmile.gif
popcorn.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #4,408 of 9,124

I see. Thanks. Yes, I am putting my entire faith on the MAMs and planning on ordering the A12. I am still not 100% on-board though..

@ken6217 and @iKE1985 , did you have a chance to try both the U10 and the U12 before deciding on the A12?

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #4,409 of 9,124
  I play bass in the worship band and had the opportunity to demo the U4 and a universal V6-S with the supplied demo tips this weekend. I found the V6-S to have better mids and highs than the U4, but the bass did not stand out enough for me to really hear myself. The bass on the U4 was better, but it tended to overwhelm the rest of the sound. I ended up using the U4 for most of our services, but if I had my pick, I would have liked the U4 with a little less bass or the V6-S with a little more bass. All of this was through a small, inexpensive headphone amp with a mono mix (all that is available from the board). No EQ.

The demo information said that "Generally the demos have a little more highs and a little less bass compared to the customs." As I want to go the custom and not universal route, this would tend to make me believe that the A4 would have even more bass than the U4 ... not in the direction I really want to go. Am I wrong in my thought process here?

Thanks!

The V6-S are not bass light by any means. I think that they have an ideal amount of bass to be very versatile and prior to the ADEL series, they were 64 Audio's best sellers. Compared to my U8s, they are more balanced, but even though the U8s have a very nice bass emphasis, I don't find that they overwhelm the rest of the sound. I really like them and from what I've been told, they share similarities to the U4s. Perhaps, the source was not the best when you tried them and tips really play a big role. But if you can, go with customs for playing live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back