1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #226 of 9,124
But in spite of all my doubts and needing certainty, I decided to back the U6. Liked the V6S demo, so I'll probably like the U6 and for $480 I think it's a very good deal :) Delivery in May of next year, so then I'll get a nice summer gift.

My first custom will still be the JH13 though. Getting my impressions done today.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #227 of 9,124
  But in spite of all my doubts and needing certainty, I decided to back the U6. Liked the V6S demo, so I'll probably like the U6 and for $480 I think it's a very good deal :) Delivery in May of next year, so then I'll get a nice summer gift.

My first custom will still be the JH13 though. Getting my impressions done today.

So you're dropping from the U8 to the U6 - is that because of people here talking about clarity etc? Ive just emailed 1964 asking for a demo of the V8 and V6 Stage (assuming the U8 and the U6 are indeed 'equivalent' models), but Im in the UK so who knows. 
I just want to know where the V6 Stage bass is compared to IE8s or SM64 - in volume and quality. I assume quality will go to the V6 Stage, but if the bass amount is say 'half' then I might still opt for the U8...
Such complications over such a simple decision...

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #228 of 9,124

So you're dropping from the U8 to the U6 - is that because of people here talking about clarity etc? Ive just emailed 1964 asking for a demo of the V8 and V6 Stage (assuming the U8 and the U6 are indeed 'equivalent' models), but Im in the UK so who knows. 
I just want to know where the V6 Stage bass is compared to IE8s or SM64 - in volume and quality. I assume quality will go to the V6 Stage, but if the bass amount is say 'half' then I might still opt for the U8...

No, I went for the U6 since I prefer a more flat sound signature. Wasn't even considering the U8, since I'm not a fan of bassy IEMs. If I really want extra bass I'll just turn on the bass boost on my amp.

I've never heard the IE8s or SM64 so can't help you there. But I think most people consider the V6S bass to be more or less neutral, perhaps slightly north of neutral. But it's of high quality and extends very well.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #230 of 9,124

Wait for Ivabign to reply as he is getting his custom V6-S and V8 today.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #231 of 9,124
No, I went for the U6 since I prefer a more flat sound signature. Wasn't even considering the U8, since I'm not a fan of bassy IEMs. If I really want extra bass I'll just turn on the bass boost on my amp.

I've never heard the IE8s or SM64 so can't help you there. But I think most people consider the V6S bass to be more or less neutral, perhaps slightly north of neutral. But it's of high quality and extends very well.

I've listened to my SM64 like twice since the V6-Stage arrived early this year. They are much better in most every way, including bass (a bit more, deeper extension, and better detail). And if you read the SM64 thread you'll see I'm actually very positive on them.

If you like the coherency and smoothness of the SM64 you'll likely be impressed with the V6-Stage - just with brighter mids and highs and much more detail.

Edit: Sorry, replied to the quote and not the post

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #232 of 9,124
Talai

To my ears at times the V8 bass would bleed into the mids and disrupt some of the detail there. Otherwise the detail on both seemed equivalent - which means excellent as the V6-Stage is a loaded with detail, top to bottom.

Jobbing,

Soundstage on both is great! I may not be a basshead, but I am a soundstage-head and these really deliver. Better than full-sized open cans such as the T1 and the HE-560.

When it comes to the ADEL technology you know as much or more than me!

Can someone else confirm this? I'm a soundstage-head as well, and this is super interesting. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #233 of 9,124
  Can someone else confirm this? I'm a soundstage-head as well, and this is super interesting. 

Hmm, I listened to HE-560 at CanJam and I listened to V6S demo. V6S is very good for an IEM, but I don't think it beats a full-size open can.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #234 of 9,124
FWIW, I had the T1 for a month this summer - impressive, but I returned them to try the HE-560. The 560 is even more impressive than the T1, and I have kept them. But honestly, 9 times out 10 I reach for the V6-Stage.

I do believe the Project Ember, with the ability to set the output impedance to .1 Ohms (yes, 1/10th) and gobs of power to spare, has an excellent synergy with these multi-driver IEMs. Better than my Asgard 2, which sits cold these days. Maybe because it can handle the large impedance swings of BA drivers? Also had 4 days with the K10 this summer and it was stunningly sweet and effortless on the Ember. I was left happy with how the V6-Stage approaches the K10's capability without spending $1600.

Don't know if it matters, but my V6-Stage are universal not custom. To get the best soundstage I wear them very shallow, just enough for the silicone tips to seal. I've often wondered how this compares to the deep fit of customs. I guess this bodes well for the new U series.

Just one guy's option on the soundstage vs. full size cans, but not a flippant or completely uninformed one.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #235 of 9,124
FWIW, I had the T1 for a month this summer - impressive, but I returned them to try the HE-560. The 560 is even more impressive than the T1, and I have kept them. But honestly, 9 times out 10 I reach for the V6-Stage.

I do believe the Project Ember, with the ability to set the output impedance to .1 Ohms (yes, 1/10th) and gobs of power to spare, has an excellent synergy with these multi-driver IEMs. Better than my Asgard 2, which sits cold these days. Maybe because it can handle the large impedance swings of BA drivers? Also had 4 days with the K10 this summer and it was stunningly sweet and effortless on the Ember. I was left happy with how the V6-Stage approaches the K10's capability without spending $1600.

Don't know if it matters, but my V6-Stage are universal not custom. To get the best soundstage I wear them very shallow, just enough for the silicone tips to seal. I've often wondered how this compares to the deep fit of customs. I guess this bodes well for the new U series.

Just one guy's option on the soundstage vs. full size cans, but not a flippant or completely uninformed one.

Cool, thanks for elaborating. I can see how playing with insertion depth will change the soundstage perception.

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #236 of 9,124
Just backed the U4... did it pretty much out of blind faith. Have no idea what to expect. Did i make a right decision here?

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #237 of 9,124
I'm just so confused....
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #238 of 9,124
Here another e-mail I received from 1964ears:

I was actually mistaken about the bass loss when using the ADEL. When you open the ADEL port a tiny amount to allow it to work there is no perceptible change in bass response or ambient sound. So the tuning will be same with both the ADEL fully closed and open a tiny amount. You can open it more if you’d like to have less bass or allow more ambient sound in.

The ADEL only needs a small opening to work. You’ll notice it working by the soundstage becoming more expansive because the eardrum is no longer trapped in that pressure zone.

We’re very impressed by this technology which is why we’re trying to get it out there as fast as possible with the Kickstarter. We’ll do our best to release information as it becomes available.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #239 of 9,124
  Here another e-mail I received from 1964ears:

I was actually mistaken about the bass loss when using the ADEL. When you open the ADEL port a tiny amount to allow it to work there is no perceptible change in bass response or ambient sound. So the tuning will be same with both the ADEL fully closed and open a tiny amount. You can open it more if you’d like to have less bass or allow more ambient sound in.

The ADEL only needs a small opening to work. You’ll notice it working by the soundstage becoming more expansive because the eardrum is no longer trapped in that pressure zone.

We’re very impressed by this technology which is why we’re trying to get it out there as fast as possible with the Kickstarter. We’ll do our best to release information as it becomes available.

So if we open it a tiny bit, the ADEL tech will do its work, without any change in sound? IMO, they should have just created a fixed vent and left it at that. Right now, the ADEL vent seems to be more of a way to change the IEM from a semi-open to a fully closed one. Not that it's bad or anything, but it seems to be the case.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #240 of 9,124
  I'm just so confused....
confused_face_2.gif

okay, a little  less confused, should read the FAQ's more often:

Ambient 12 compared to U8-Series
Ambient 12 is different than U8. Sound signature of the Ambient 12 is a transparent, reference sound (e.g. LCD-2) The U8 is designed for a "thicker" sound presentation, mostly preferred by musicians.

the Ambient series are perfect for recreational audiophile use. All ADEL products feature the incredible sounding RealLoud technology.

... but can one also enjoy the Ambient 12 and be a sedentary audiophile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back