+/-15VAC or +/-20VDC Wall Wart
Aug 22, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 12
The 15VCT configuration has been discussed at length. It is the required power for the SOHA tube amp. Batman and myself have traded a few posts about building a walwart for this amp. He obliged by posting a complete description and photos in the SOHA Thread #2 on Headwize.

Jameco sells walwart enclosures. The standard for the SOHA is a 15VA Amveco Toroid at 15VCT. The Jameco walwart enclosure will hold either the potted Amveco or the doughnut version. A long 4-40 machine screw can be used to bolt the halves of the walwart enclosure together through the center of the toroid. (The Jameco enclosure is meant for gluing, unfortunately.) Add an inline fuse holder, and braid 3-22ga wires through the supplied strain relief for the Jameco enclosure.

That will give a walwart with 3 wires - 15VAC-GND-15VAC. I'm thinking of using a 3-pin DIN connector system on mine, but I believe Batman simply wired it directly to the board, with a decent lead length.

I don't know if that's what you're needing exactly - but no one has it ready-made.

Aug 23, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
no one has it ready-made.

Not to shill, but there's the one for the HeadRoom microamp/dac, and they do sell them separately. It's terminated with a 5-pin (might be called 6 pin) mini din. You can easily pull back the rubber sleeve and cut the three wires to add whatever termination you need. Unfortunately, it's rated at a mere 0.24A per side, but that's probably sufficient for most solid-state headphone amps.

Aug 23, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 12
althought not CASED there is a +/-15 (and 20) V "box" available pretty cheap from mpja.com

you will have to wire in an input, and oputput.

the big bummer is it wont fit in a standard double eurocard size case as (dynalo/millet, etc, etc) unless you use a really tall case.

they also sell a slightly more expensive ready-made version.

Aug 23, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning
Not to shill, but there's the one for the HeadRoom microamp/dac, and they do sell them separately. It's terminated with a 5-pin (might be called 6 pin) mini din. You can easily pull back the rubber sleeve and cut the three wires to add whatever termination you need. Unfortunately, it's rated at a mere 0.24A per side, but that's probably sufficient for most solid-state headphone amps.

That's 15VDC. I think dsavitsk was asking for 30VCT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
"By +/-15VAC, I mean +15V and -15V with center ground tap."

could be wrong, though - +/- implies DC ... dsavitsk will have to confirm what he really wants ...

Aug 23, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 12
I have one made by tektronic? it is 5 pin din terminated and is + - 15VAC centre tapped. Not sure if it is still available anywhere , I picked it up quite some time ago and tend to use it as the default ps. db

Aug 23, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
That's 15VDC. I think dsavitsk was asking for 30VCT:

could be wrong, though - +/- implies DC ... dsavitsk will have to confirm what he really wants ...

Yes, you are correct -- my misnomer. 15-0-15 AC or +/-20VDC. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a PCB for such a supply that I made a while ago, but I was hoping for something prebuilt just for simplicity. I guess I'll just build my own.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 12
The Headroom supply is +/-15VDC, which is essentially 30VDC center tapped, unless you're doing something funky. That's +15VDC, 0VDC, -15VDC. I don't know if the 0 is grounded or floating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back