<$150 Unamped Closed Headphones?
Aug 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

New Head-Fier
I've been searching the forums for a good set of closed headphones but I haven't been able to make up my mind. I'm looking for cans that sound good without an amp and are under $150. I listen to Rock (Alt, Classic. Muse, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, etc.), Orchestral (classical music, film scores, etc), and i'm hoping to get in to some jazz. I also watch movies from time to time. I don't think there are any audio stores near me for me to try any headphones myself, but I will be checking best buy and Guitar center to see if they have any display units. From what i'm seeing, the ATH M50s are the best choice. I've also seen the Shure SRH 840 recommended, though it's slightly more than $150 and I don't know if it sounds good unamped. Also I saw the Audio Technica ATH-700 was recommended, but is it better than the M50? Are there any other headphones I should be looking at? Thanks for the help.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 6
   Also throw the Beyerdynamic DT770's in the list. You can find them on ebay for around your spending limit. I mainly listen to Rock and Hip Hop. They are closed back design as well. Make sure
to look at the 80ohm version. It is easily driven directly from most devices with no amp in between. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 6
1) There is ALWAYS a headphone amplifier, you can simply choose to use one built into the digital audio player and not a standalone one.
2) I like AKG K271 and BeyerDynamic DT770, but I'm a bass-head when it comes to closed headphones (only use closed for gaming and office use where I want distractions and "active" listening as opposed to relaxed enjoyment of music - then I use Grado HP2 and Sennheiser HD650).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back