150 to burn. Looking for advice.
Jun 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

polishruben

New Head-Fier
My old etys gave its last breath so I am looking for something new. From the current knowledge gurus, what should I consider? I am looking for IEM, clear, neutral. Listening mostly to jazz, classical, folk, blues. I loved the fit and isolation of my etys. A big big bonus would be to have a mic.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 24
Thank you for recommendation! I will check it out.. they look promising. 
My old ones ER6 were great. I know the sound was lacking the bass ( as most of the Etys, from what I understand ) I the crispness of highs and the sound detail was mindblowing.. I wouldn't mind something similar maybe with a touch more base. I was thinking maybe the HF2s ?? But again, I know Etys are old school nowdays and there are millions of new players on the market with fantastic qualities.

Since I don't really follow up with the forum, and it has gazillion of posts, reviews, I was hoping maybe someone could point me to few iems.
So far I have on my eyeballs:

HF2
RE-400
( RHA MA750i looks very nice, but I am not sure if this is not a bass overkill for me ?? hmm )

.. anything else I should be checking out ?

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 24
  Thank you for recommendation! I will check it out.. they look promising. 
My old ones ER6 were great. I know the sound was lacking the bass ( as most of the Etys, from what I understand ) I the crispness of highs and the sound detail was mindblowing.. I wouldn't mind something similar maybe with a touch more base. I was thinking maybe the HF2s ?? But again, I know Etys are old school nowdays and there are millions of new players on the market with fantastic qualities.

Since I don't really follow up with the forum, and it has gazillion of posts, reviews, I was hoping maybe someone could point me to few iems.
So far I have on my eyeballs:

HF2
RE-400
( RHA MA750i looks very nice, but I am not sure if this is not a bass overkill for me ?? hmm )

.. anything else I should be checking out ?

The MA750s are quite bassy. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 24
:) to suprime leader Lin003:  I assume you have them ( the MA750s ). If I use eq ( I know, cardinal sin ), could I tune town down the bass? I assume so..

I love the detail in high. So my question is how flexible with eq tweaking the ma750 is ? My original etys ER6 ( not the i version ), sounded lovely but once in a blue moon I wished it had slightly more defined bass.
As a graphic designer I am drawn to the design and durability of MAs, but down the road it is all about the sound.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 24
  :) to suprime leader Lin003:  I assume you have them ( the MA750s ). If I use eq ( I know, cardinal sin ), could I tune town down the bass? I assume so..

I love the detail in high. So my question is how flexible with eq tweaking the ma750 is ? My original etys ER6 ( not the i version ), sounded lovely but once in a blue moon I wished it had slightly more defined bass.
As a graphic designer I am drawn to the design and durability of MAs, but down the road it is all about the sound.

Yes, I have owned the MA750 and here is my review. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-ma750i-noise-isolating-premium-in-ear-headphone/reviews/9962

They do pretty well with EQ and are rather detailed but IMO their sound sig is the thing that is limiting them, being a bit too bassy. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 24
I'd say something like:
  1. Apple ADDIEM (it's neutral, but not the best, still a good value, sound-wise, for 80 bucks)
  2. HiFiMan RE-400 (best bang for the buck, my suggestion)
  3. Etymotic HF-5 (or HF-2/HF-3; leaner and more neutral)
  4. Phonak PFE-022 + grey filters (I recommend this over the HiFiMan if you can find them)

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 24
The R-50M is $108 at LMUE...
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=20&products_id=78

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 24
  I'd say something like:
  1. Apple ADDIEM (it's neutral, but not the best, still a good value, sound-wise, for 80 bucks)
  2. HiFiMan RE-400 (best bang for the buck, my suggestion)
  3. Etymotic HF-5 (or HF-2/HF-3; leaner and more neutral)
  4. Phonak PFE-022 + grey filters (I recommend this over the HiFiMan if you can find them)

I don't know if it's a good suggestion for the price.  If you search around the forum, there are so many options for way less than that with isolation(this is a huge factor when it comes to sound performance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back