$150 Portable Headphones
May 13, 2012 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

boodleboy

New Head-Fier
 I need a pair of cans around $150 that are closed back with minimal leakage. I wont be walking around with em really just taken on car trips and to boring places as well as some home use. They will be powered by a fiio e11. I was thinking ultrasone hfi 580 of pro 550? Thanks

May 13, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 9
I listen to acoustic with a bit of rock and rap mixed in... i do like heavy bass but since its likely these will be the only cans i can get i need some good all rounders. I was thinking about just taking the jump and buying some d2k's which seem to be the go to cans for most price ranges under $500 thoughts on that?

May 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 9
The Senn HD 25 1 ii are pretty much it for me when it comes to portable and high quality headphones.

They're very durable, easily driven, and sound really good on a broad spectrum of musical styles.

There's nothing quite like them except perhaps for the new(ish) Beyerdynamic Tesla's,
and although I've not yet heard those review after review say the Senn's are the better cans.

A really nice pair of headphones which are actually in the price range you mention are the Sony ZX700.
Not as small as the Senn's or Beyer's, but they wear 'small' and sound excellent for the money.
I use mine at the gym and no one every gives them a second glance.
They're very comfortable too.

May 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I listen to acoustic with a bit of rock and rap mixed in... i do like heavy bass but since its likely these will be the only cans i can get i need some good all rounders. I was thinking about just taking the jump and buying some d2k's which seem to be the go to cans for most price ranges under $500 thoughts on that?

No--the D2000 is very good and goes for low $200's if you shop in the right (US) places. 

For $500 you can pick up the D5000 (and have some change left over), Grado RS 2i (open), (for < $300 each) AKG K 550 and Q 701 (open) and more.

Are you still looking for $150 and below--or have you decided to increase your budget and/or on the D2000 as your choice?

May 13, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Its not really a budget issue but as im only 15 the higher the price the less likely my dad will let me get em. I could probably get the d2000 as my max.... every where i look that someone has a $200 budget everyone just says to bite the bullet buy the d2000 and be happy & there being discontinued. Am i right?

May 13, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
 I need a pair of cans around $150 that are closed back with minimal leakage. I wont be walking around with em really just taken on car trips and to boring places as well as some home use. They will be powered by a fiio e11. I was thinking ultrasone hfi 580 of pro 550? Thanks

Don't get a PRO 550, get a PRO 900. I have both and the 900 is better in every way. Not just obviously better bass (which you like; 900's bass is better than my LCD-2), but everything is better. My 550s actually sound like crap compared to them, now. They are much more comfy as well. Both will sound better out of an amp. The PRO series are much better for being portable than the Denons, I've heard.

You have many options around that price point. If your gonna go with a Denon I would pick up the Denon 5000 since they are being discontinued and are better than the 2000 (from what I have read in every review).

An option is to talk it over with your father and earn the extra money needed...your ears with appreciate it. 
wink.gif

May 13, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Its not really a budget issue but as im only 15 the higher the price the less likely my dad will let me get em. I could probably get the d2000 as my max.... every where i look that someone has a $200 budget everyone just says to bite the bullet buy the d2000 and be happy & there being discontinued. Am i right?

I see.

The D2000, 5000 & 7000 are all being discontinued and replaced with two cans that look (and I suspect sound) very different from the current line, which is made by Fostex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back