$150 Hisense Sero 7 Pro tablet supports USB digital audio out
May 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
As of today, Walmart is selling the new Hisense Sero 7 Pro tablet that is similar to the Nexus 7. Same Tegra 3 processor, Android 4.2, same screen resolution, but only 8GB additional internal memory (N7 has 16gb and 32gb versions). However, it does support HDMI out, has a micro SD card slot (says up to 32GB, but I wonder if it wouldn't take 64GB if formatted separately), and it has front and rear facing cameras. Here are specs: http://hisense-usa.com/tablets/sero7pro

So I picked one up today to try it out. Imagine my good surprise when the ODAC worked with it. USB digital audio out does not work with the stock Nexus 7. Even if it did, there's no micro SD card slot for expanding the memory. So for someone looking for a 7" tablet with good specs at a good price that does USB audio, this is quite the deal at $150.

More discussion about it (there are some people buying and posting impressions of it) at slickdeals: http://slickdeals.net/f/6047392-Sero-7-Pro-will-be-available-in-Walmart-Stores-starting-May-24-for-149-lite-version-for-99?

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Haven't seen any more chatter at Head-Fi (or anywhere else) about the Sero 7; still working for you via USB? Do you have to use any special apps or settings, or does it just work with the stock music player?

Given the cost (now $129!), the reasonable specs, and SD slot I'm considering getting one to use as a desktop/on the airplane source for 320k MP3's or go nuts and load up FLAC files. I picked up an E17 today and assume it would work as well as your ODAC...

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 7
I didn't keep it. I don't really need a tablet for USB audio. I returned it and ended up getting the Nook HD+ for the better screen size for ereading. I use my Note 3 for all other tablet uses. It's always in my pocket :)

But yeah. The Sero 7 should work well with Android friendly USB DACs. Plugged in my ODAC with a USB OTG cable (not any USB cable will work), and the Sero 7 picked it up as a USB audio device just like with my Note 3. Worked perfectly with Neutrino music player app.

However, the E17 is not an Android friendly USB DAC. If you read around, you'll find that it won't work with music players on some version of Android because Android doesn't recognize it correctly as a USB audio device (some problem with the E17). Have to use USB Audio Recorder PRO app to play music, which would suck because it's not media player software with robust music management and other features. Google that app with E17, and you'll find plenty of discussion about the E17 problems and Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back