150~ Headphones, well balanced, slight emphasis on bass
Sep 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KodaO

100+ Head-Fier
My XB500's burnt out and I want something well balanced with a slight bass emphasis, the bass on the XB's was too muddy for me. I don't plan on getting an amp. Any suggestions?

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 14
Have you done any Eq tweaks with your XB 500's? just asking..

The recommendations given above are pretty good btw. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580
M-Audio Q40
Beyer DT770 PRO

Very best,

These are great recommendations. Exactly the list I had in mind.
However, it seems that a lot of people consider the DT770 a very bassy can, so keep that in mind.
But if your issue is with muddiness, I don't think you'll have any problems with them.
The HFI 580 is fantastic for EDM, the DT770 is extremely comfortable, and the Q40 has a detachable cable.
Each has its own advantages, so read up and decide for yourself what's best for you.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

These are great recommendations. Exactly the list I had in mind.
However, it seems that a lot of people consider the DT770 a very bassy can, so keep that in mind.
But if your issue is with muddiness, I don't think you'll have any problems with them.
The HFI 580 is fantastic for EDM, the DT770 is extremely comfortable, and the Q40 has a detachable cable.
Each has its own advantages, so read up and decide for yourself what's best for you.

Heya,

Just a note, the DT770 is not that bassy. I'm not sure where this perpetuated theme came from. It's not thin, it's not anemic. And no, it's not true-neutral, but it's not boomy and bassy either, it's warmer than neutral. I think most of this false information came from people who just look at graphs of frequency response and haven't actually listened to them, or at least, haven't heard what bassy headphones sound like. It's less bassy compared to the HFI580 and Q40. But I digress...

My DT770 is bassy however, because I enhance it's bass by +3 db across the lower spectrum with hardware EQ.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

Just a note, the DT770 is not that bassy. I'm not sure where this perpetuated theme came from. It's not thin, it's not anemic. And no, it's not true-neutral, but it's not boomy and bassy either, it's warmer than neutral. I think most of this false information came from people who just look at graphs of frequency response and haven't actually listened to them, or at least, haven't heard what bassy headphones sound like. It's less bassy compared to the HFI580 and Q40. But I digress...

My DT770 is bassy however, because I enhance it's bass by +3 db across the lower spectrum with hardware EQ.

Very best,

Sounds like the ATH-M50's situation - people always say they have huge bass, but as it turns out that's not the case at all.
Thanks for clearing things up. And OP, I think we may have a winner here! Ding ding ding.

Not sure if I'd invest in an amp for the DT770. Is it worth the $60 Fiio E11+L9 combo? Decisions, decisions.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Not sure if I'd invest in an amp for the DT770. Is it worth the $60 Fiio E11+L9 combo? Decisions, decisions.

Heya,

Pairing a Fiio of any kind with any Beyer is actually a very good idea. Beyers are easy to drive, but Fiio has two things that match well with Beyer synergy wise: 1) slightly rolls off the treble, making it less bright by a hair; and 2) EQ settings for adding very nicely integrated bass enhancement on the fly in the form of EQ and bass switches, no distortion, just warm earthquake added goodness on the fly. Makes even a DT880 rumble and makes the DT770 actually a bassy headphone.

E11 if portable only. E10 if on home computer only and on budget. E17 if you just want portable and desktop at home computer. I don't even consider the E9 anymore.

Very best,

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 14
OP, sounds like you are describing the Philips Uptown. Although, I almost hesitate to mention it. I'd recommend for the sound and comfort, but the cable remote causes channel imbalance if it's not in the "sweet spot" and is a problem.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
OP, sounds like you are describing the Philips Uptown. Although, I almost hesitate to mention it. I'd recommend for the sound and comfort, but the cable remote causes channel imbalance if it's not in the "sweet spot" and is a problem.

Strangely, I never had this problem with the cable a lot of people talk about. Maybe I'm just lucky. I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back