150-200$ high end headphones?
Jul 23, 2002 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nae45ro

100+ Head-Fier
I'm living in Italy in 3 days and i was wondering if i can find some very good headphones for 150-200 $ in stores.I also want to use them without a dedicated amplifier so i will need ones wich can be powered by my stereo amplifier(I'll use them only at home).The source will be an Onkio md 2521.Answer me as quickly as you can.Thanx guys!

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 8
definitely NOT the sennheiser 580s i got them without an amp and it was an extremely large mistake. I traded them in for some Grado SR-225's which are much much better without an amp.

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd second the SR225 simply because I have them, they will work from a headphone socket as opposed to an amp (although they work very nicely with an amp as well) and these are among the most musical affordable headphones I've heard.

What you'll like depends on your use and environment. It seems to be a case of try, make a mistake, try again I'm afraid - especially as you get such conflicting opinions on a board like this...

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 8
If your in Italy those Grado headphones that were recommended are going to cost you a bundle.

Look into the Beyerdynamic 250-80 headphone which should be driven quite well from your receiver. Also, look into the Sennheiser HD280 headphones, both are highly recommended.

Check this site out: www.meier-audio.com

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanx for your help.Can u please tell me an exact adress of the stores where i can find theese headphones in Rome or other great towns.Thanx

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 8
get a set of sr-80's and up and a total airhead

you'll get as good as you can for that price in terms of good quality

you could buy yourself a senn 580 and later on buy a very nice amp
and it'll give you lushious beautiful sound too
smily_headphones1.gif

um... akg 501 w/ a good amp, like the porta corda is a good match too

stay away from the v700!!!

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 8
*sigh*

In Europe, you want to stay away from American headphones....

Look for the following brands:

AKG
Beyerdynamic
Sennheiser

I would suggest the...

Sennheiser HD590
AKG K401
Beyerdynamic DT250-80.

Try and make sure the headphones in question are easy to drive, and try before you buy, if possible! Check your local phone book for hi-fi stores...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back