$150-200 for upgrading Shure SRH-940
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thrand1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Currently own the Shure SRH-940s, which I feel do a great job with a lot of what I listen to. I am unsure if there is anything I can buy to help upgrade the sound even further. Currently my primary listening setup is an iPod Classic at my work desk. A few thoughts, random questions, observations:

- Was considering the Objective2 headphone amplifier. The iPod Classic's output impedance (5ohms) is pretty close to violating the 1/8th rule with these phones (42 ohm), wondering if "correcting that" with the O2 would provide an audible difference with these headphones? Listening to a 3rd generation iPod touch (7ohms) did seem to sound worse on the same material. I like the overall sound of these headphones, sometimes they can seem a smidge "hot" on the treble depending on the recording, so I don't know if he sound signature is altered at all by the output impedance of the iPod. I wish I had the chance to try the O2 before buying.
- If I get a headphone amp, I only need it to be "transportable", not necessarily "super portable" (i.e. fitting in a pocket) so form factor is not much of a consideration.
- I have been considering getting a smartphone, perhaps iPhone5 or 4S, both of which have a slightly better output impedance than iPod Classic. Having iOS 7 means potential for use with a USB DAC/amp, perhaps the MicroStreamer?
- Not really sure about potential for buying entirely new cans, as I feel I'd have to bump the budget beyond what I am comfortable with for something like NAD HP50s, which seem to fit the bill of an overall neutral sound signature (which is my preferred signature!) with excellent measured performance in recent reviews.

If you were in my shoes, any suggestions, or would anything within my budget not yield that much of an improvement? Any suggestions are welcome...thanks for your thoughts, experience, and advice.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I doubt that going from an amplifier with output impedance of 5-Ohms, down to an amplifier with less then 1-Ohm would make a difference.
I really doubt there was any impedance issue or problem in the first place.
But just using the O2 headphone amplifier itself might improve audio quality.
Run an LOD cable from your iPod's LOD port to the line-input port on the O2.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Just saying this, but SRH940 doesn't get affected by impedance much. In fact, 22ohm AK100 sounds supreme with them.

What I would do is get a smooth and warm sounding amp. So a tube sounding transportable amp is what I would look for. Oh god. Transparency and detail of SRH940 was smooth tube sound.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It sounds like an amp is not a "must" unless I want to try altering the sound sig a little bit. Maybe it would be better to spend the money elsewhere, but how...? :)

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 9
  Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It sounds like an amp is not a "must" unless I want to try altering the sound sig a little bit. Maybe it would be better to spend the money elsewhere, but how...? :)

I say amp is a fair upgrade. Get a smooth sounding amp, and you will be very happy.

A DAC upgrade is good too. SRH940 likes good DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back