$150-$200 cans with sound of dtx800 but clarity of ad700
Sep 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sageyy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, looking to possibly upgrade my beyerdynamic dtx800 which i find surprisingly good but i know i can get better.

I didnt realise how much i loved the sound of them until i borrowed a friends AD700's.

First of all i noticed how laid back the sound was, both headphones sound sweet, but the ad700 is more fairy floss sweet while the dtx800 is more rounded and robust like a mango sweetness. Still with me?

Also the bass was lacking, which i can live with but it was more so the sound signature which i cannot say i disliked but i liked more for the dtx800, it just made music enjoyable to listen to!

So now onto clarity, i definately heard instruments defined better with the ad700 but don't get me wrong, this in no way made them more enjoyable to listen to, just made me acknowledge and appreciate the extra sounds.

So basically what i'm looking for is a headphone that incorporates the full bodied sweet sound of the dtx with the extra definition of the ad700. Open or closed, just looking for sound quality but general consensus is that open is better?

I'm currently thinking MS-1 but not sure if that's what i'm looking for.

PS. If you ask about music tastes, i'm a music fanatic and listen to all genres from rock,pop,indie to classical and hip hop

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 5
I hear the k701 need an amp to sound there best, currently $200 is budget, would they sound alright being powered by an x-fi soundcard?

Out of curiosity what's the minimum requirement for an amp needed to power the puppies?

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 5
how about the 32ohm BD DT990? Or if you want more bass and an all round better phone to the AD700 how about a used pair of AD900's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back