15 Closed Headphones, 2 Canalphones and a Discussion on Frequency Graphs & Reviews
May 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #166 of 174
Oh, well, I've used public transit maybe three times in my life. I've biked around town all my life, and only recently got a vehicle, so that's never been an issue for me. But, I'm told IEM's are the way to go for public transit.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #169 of 174
I know the original review was posted by saint.panda over 5 years ago but it is still a very useful review of a large number of closed cans.  Whether a beginner or someone looking to add to their arsenal, a worthwhile read and still very much appreciated!

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #172 of 174
Just re-reading the reviews here again and I totally agree with the dt250-250 review. Although I also agree with the impressions of some of the other cans, I find the slight flaws that Sainpanda finds to be more severe and annoying to my ears than they were for him. Some flaws of some of the other cans in the review were also not mentioned like the a900s having bloated bass or the hd25-1 sounding cuppy and quite closed sounding, etc...

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #173 of 174
I wanted to buy Beyerdynamic DT250 for a long time, but before actually buying from the store I wanted to try them out myself, because I didn't quite trust this review (I have read on some other forums that both versions are identical, apart from the ohm measurements), so I bought both versions (80 ohm and 250 ohm), and now I know who is right :). What this review says is sooo true. EVERY aspect of it is correct, at least from my experience, which is that the 250 ohm version's sound is much more satisfying and truer to the source, the highs are there (crystal clear), the lows are there (when they are in the source), but the left and right drivers' volumes do not match (at least in mine the right one is considerably louder than the left one! and that drives me nuts!). The 80 ohm version is sounding much more dull (it is obvious and apparent straight away, comparing the two, and there is no question about it whatsoever - the highs are "cut" or recessed, whatever you call it, to a point that it is duller sounding than my Sennheiser HD595 (which have veiled highs, as some other Sennheiser models do, and I cannot understand why the manufacturers do that), and all of this is sooo weird, because these headphones (250 and 80 ohm versions) are supposed to sound identical! The only consolation is that there's quite a lot more of bass in the 80 ohm version, and this review kinda missed this point. And the lows are very nice and punchy, depending on the source, of course! I wrote to beyerdynamic and asked a few questions about this matter, curious of what they will reply.
yep the 250 ohm is much better to me than the 80 ohm and we have the same observations except for the bass of the 80 ohm which i found muddy especially at high volumes

May 10, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #174 of 174
Review download (pdf-file): Mediafire

Navigation can be handled via bookmarks.

Changes and addendums to the review can be found under '1.3 Background and Additional Information' -> 'Updates History'.

Headphones reviewed
  1. Audio Technica ATH A900
  2. Audio Technica ATH FC7
  3. AKG K 271
  4. AKG K 81 DJ
  5. AKG K 181 DJ
  6. Beyerdynamic DT 250-80
  7. Beyerdynamic DT 250-250
  8. Beyerdynamic DT 660
  9. Beyerdynamic DT 770-80 Pro
  10. Beyerdynamic DT 831
  11. Sennheiser HD 25-1
  12. Sennheiser HD 201
  13. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
  14. Sony V6
  15. Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster
  16. Etymotic ER-4P/S
  17. Shure E3
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
1.1 Table of Contents
1.2 Personal Remarks
1.3 Background and Additional Information

2. Review
2.1 Why 'Closed' to begin with
2.2 General Review
2.3 In-Detail Review
2.4 Conclusion

3. Headphone-Related Topics
3.1 Canalphones vs. Headphones
3.2 Headphones: Cheapter Alternatives
3.3 Amped vs. Unamped / Portable Headphone Amplifiers
3.4 Misc: Headphone Cable, Impedance adapter, Damping Factor

4. Frequency Graphs and Reviewers scrutinized
4.1 Frequency Graphs
4.2 Reviews and Reviewers
4.3 Conclusion

5. Appendix
Further Reading

Thanks for reading,
Tao

Saint.Panda,
I am happy to find this post, albeit from years ago. As I am only interested in closed headphones and especially from years ago, this is a treasure trove of information. I am happy to find that the guide is still downloadable.
Thanks for the work,
Vito
[

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back