13th Calgary Head-Fi Meet - October 16 (Sunday)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2016 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

hakushondaimao

Headphoneus Supremus

Calgary, Edmonton and area Head-Fi'ers, our next meet is set. Come one, come all!

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 74
Attendees

Confirmed: @BobMonkhouse, @EdmontonCanuck, @gasmonkey, @ASRintoul, @steved21, @tomchr, @Kitmellow, @AgentXXL, @rezolver, @hakushondaimao, @Wasabi26, @SixthFall
@JonJeffman (+1)

Alberta peeps we hope can make it: @joneeboi@nailbunny7, @notfitforpublic, @Honkytime@Malfunkt@bavinck@Jazzkammer@LostInMyDream@ian209@GNURush@ady1989@Eddie C@loremipsum@furyagain@Febri Misaka@rosie bowers@SlimShady@Wingstrike@alphones@dWeLLeR@canterra, @I Love BMW 

Regrets: @swich401, @nanigahoshino

Tentative Gear List:

HiFiman HEK's
Pre-fazored Audeze LCD3's
T+A DAC8 DSD
RoonServer
HQPlayer
Ak100ii Dap
Elekit TU-8200 Amp
AKG702
FLC8S
Sim audio Moon H230 HAD
Dark Voice tube amp
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Schiit Yaggi
Hifiman HE 1000
Audioquest Nighthawk
Beyerdynamic DT880 balanced
DT 990
AKG 7xx (Massdrop)
4000VA custom balanced power conditioner + Belkin PF60 conditioner
Schiit Yggdrasil
Bottlehead Mainline
Sennheiser HD650's with Dynamat damping mod
Neurochrome HP-1 high-end headphone amplifier
Centrance DacPort Slim (DAC/AMP)
Objective 2 (O2) Amplifier (1.0x & 3.3x gain)
Asus Xonar U7 (External Soundcard)
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (studio/monitoring headphones)
Sony MH1C (Head-fi-famous budget in-ears)
SoundMagic E30
SoundMagic E50
First Harmonic IEB6
AudioGD NFB 15
Grantfidelity TubeDAC 11
Aune X1S (DAC)
Aune X7S (balanced amp)
JDS Labs O2
Alo RX
Cayin i5 (DAP)
Cayin N5 (DAP)
Fiio X5ii (DAP)
ATH R70x
ATH MSR7
Beyerdynamic DT770
Meze 99 Classics
Phillips Fidelio X2
AKG K7XX
JH Layla
Noble 6
Aurisonic Rockets
Fostex TH-900
Hifiman HE-400
Audio-GD NFB-11
Audio GD DAC-19
Beyer T1 (gen 1)
Sennheiser hd600
Schiit modi
Schiit magni
Yulong a100

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 74
This will be posted at the meet, but thought a few reminders of meet etiquette wouldn't be out of place:

Meet Rules:

1) Wear a name tag (found at the door). Write your first name and Head-Fi user name if you have one. Take some sticky tags to label your gear if you want.

2) Remember that you're trying out another member's gear.
  • Treat all gear with respect.
  • Respect the owner's wishes.
  • Give it all the velvet cushion treatment.
  • If you're trying IEMs, use your own ear tips. Bring some along with you so you can be sure of a good fit, and wipe the IEMs with a disinfecting towel after using.
  • Do not place headphones on top of other gear--if you're not sure where to put it, ask the owner.
  • Do not remove any gear from a setup without the owner's permission.
  • Do not remove any cables or make any other changes to the setup without the owner's permission.
  • If you do take gear away from a table, or borrow cables, adapters, or power strips, try to remember where you got it from, and bring it back when you're done. In all the excitement, it's easy to forget where you got that 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter.
  • If you listen loud remember to lower the volume for the next person.
  • If you don't know or are just curious about something, ask someone. Anyone. Someone knows, or knows someone who knows.
  • “You break it, you buy it” policy
  • Ask if you're not sure how to operate any gear, or are curious about the system setup. Some gear requires headphones to be plugged in at all times, some gear doesn't like it when you unplug headphones unless the volume is turned all the way down. Don't assume that everything works the same way. Ask; it can save a lot of heartache.

3) Introduce yourself to other members when you get in the room
  • We’re not here just to listen, but also to meet. Don’t be shy!
  • Ask Eric (@hakushondaimao) where you can put the gear you brought.

4) No food or drink within the gear room

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 74
Awesome. Looking forward to coming down in September. Hope to see all the regulars from the last 2 events, as well as any new enthusiasts I haven't had a chance to meet.

Along with my HiFiman HEK's and pre-fazored Audeze LCD3's, I'll bring along my new T+A DAC8 DSD. I'm listening to it using RoonServer and HQPlayer, with everything upsampled to DSD512. I just have to figure out if it's really necessary to bring my whole setup down there, or if I can jerry-rig some kind of laptop setup and have it all still work. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 74
It's on my calendar.  I'll bring a bunch.
Sim audio Moon H230 HAD
Dark Voice tube amp
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Schiit Yaggi
Hifiman HE 1000
Audioquest Nighthawk
Beyerdynamic DT880 balanced
DT 990
AKG 7xx (Massdrop)

Cheers
Steve

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 74
  It's been very quiet on this topic. i hope everyone is as excited as i am!

Hopefully things will pick up once we get a bit closer to the date, in a couple of weeks.

As an aside, @hakushondaimao , is there by any chance internet access in the room we will be in? If so, any attendees who are also Tidal users might be interested in hearing a Tidal stream upsampled to DSD512 to compare with what they are getting at home. I'll be able to demo this if there is an adequate internet connection (wired preferred!) in the demo room.

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 74
I'm guessing everyone who's going to come is going to post here? Too bad it's not quite a crowd yet :p

-----

UPDATE: Count me in! Will there be free Wi-Fi access and enough electrical sockets in the room? haha 
biggrin.gif

Bringing:

Centrance DacPort Slim (DAC/AMP)
Objective 2 (O2) Amplifier (1.0x & 3.3x gain)
Asus Xonar U7 (External Soundcard)

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (My studio/monitoring headphones)

Sony MH1C (Head-fi-famous budget in-ears)
SoundMagic E30
SoundMagic E50
First Harmonic IEB6

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 74
Hi everyone, 

Is anyone from Edmonton heading down that could possibly give me a lift (I'm a student without a car, but will pay for my portion of gas)?

If I make it there, I can potentially bring:

Power: 4000VA custom balanced power conditioner + Belkin PF60 conditioner
DAC: Schiit Yggdrasil
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650's with Dynamat damping mod

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 74
Not sure if folks received an update or are aware of it, but there's another meet in Calgary in a couple of weeks, on September 25th at the Port-o-Call (same place as last time). If you can make it, please indicate so in this thread and I'll update the front page with a guest list.

Cheers all!

Confirmed: @BobMonkhouse, @EdmontonCanuck, @gasmonkey, @ASRintoul, @steved21, @tomchr

Tentative: @swich401

Alberta peeps we hope can make it: @joneeboi, @hakushondaimao@nailbunny7, @notfitforpublic, @Honkytime@AgentXXL, @Malfunkt@bavinck@rezolver@Jazzkammer@JonJeffman, @LostInMyDream@ian209@GNURush@ady1989@Eddie C@loremipsum@furyagain@Febri Misaka@rosie bowers@SlimShady@Wingstrike@alphones@dWeLLeR@canterra, @I Love BMW 

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 74
I am planning to bring my brand new Neurochrome HP-1 high-end headphone amplifier. The formal announcement of this amp will be after the meet. I should have the circuit boards back from the manufacturer in time for the meet. That's the only outstanding item... 

Even if I don't have goods for show & tell, I'll be there in person. Looking forward to it.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back