$130 best headphones
Oct 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

headphones090

New Head-Fier
I want to know what THE BEST OVER EAR HEADPHONES ARE and my price limit is $130. i would like DURABILITY (metal headband if possible) GREAT SOUND (better than solos if possible). I listen to hip hop/rap, alternative, dubstep and country. I want the headphones to be very COMFORTABLE. I want the headphones to feel like a CLOUD. PLEASE HELP:) REALLY GOOD BASS ALSO. Im kind of stuck on sennheiser hd 518's. they look impresive but there is no place i can test them. can anyone tell me if they are good enough or if there are better for that price? THANK YOU

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 6
The HD518s will probably not have enough bass for your genres. The entire HD5xx family has a nice, smooth, balanced sound sig, but heavy-hitting bass will not be one of their strong suits. They are mostly made of plastic anyways.

The V-Modas have ridiculously good build quality, and are generally skewed towards bass. The LPs ($120) are quite bass-heavy, the LP2s ($190) are slightly more balanced, and the M-80s ($150, really good used price of $120 on Amazon right now) IMO are the best sounding out of them all, very natural sound with a pleasing amount of warmth, however, they are on-ear rather than over-ear, and the isolation might not be to your liking. The LP/2s are quite comfortable.

Another choice would be the M-Audio Q40s are bass cannons, and are relatively heavily built as well. 

Try this first: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12. The Solos are not well regarded at all, in the shootout, and on this site in general. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Fostex T50RP...

Look em up in the full size section.

Cheers, Jim

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Audio Technica M-50's, I've heard them for a short amount of time and thought they sounded very good for the price and they're very popular amongst many Head Fi'ers.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
How are the v moda lp's against the audio technica m50's

It just so happens that I just heard them yesterday for the first time. Granted, it might have been only for ~30 minutes, but I was blown away by how nice they were. The M50s are more plasticky than the V-Modas (metal construction in most areas), comfort would be worst long-term, decent short term. They do isolate more. In sound, the M50s would have less bass, but it would extend further, and be less of a mid-bass emphasis and more of a broad emphasis. They would be slight more technically proficient as well. Can't go into a detailed comparison, as I've only heard them and not owned them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back