1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
May 22, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #722 of 1,277
Certainly not an expert, but I try and become more knowledgeable all the time. The hive mind is strong over on that thread though!
I couldn't agree more about this communities collective mind. I guarantee that if you go with consensus winners on here. You will not be disappointed. I know I did. I still get wowed listening to a system I've had since last August.
A HUGE shoutout to this amazing Head fi community along with my eternal thanks.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #723 of 1,277
My tube adapters arrived today ( thanks Mischa ).

6N6P tubes are great, very quiet.

6n6p.jpg

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #724 of 1,277
I decided to try 6080 tubes and I bought this:

6080-2.jpg

This tube makes the Blue Halo amp super quiet. There is no tube noise whatsoever (like hybrid ECP T4 amp) !

It sounds great with Raytheon 6J5G tubes. Definitely better than all 6SN7 tubes I have tried.

6080-1.jpg

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #725 of 1,277
I decided to try 6080 tubes and I bought this:

6080-2.jpg

This tube makes the Blue Halo amp super quiet. There is no tube noise whatsoever (like hybrid ECP T4 amp) !

It sounds great with Raytheon 6J5G tubes. Definitely better than all 6SN7 tubes I have tried.

6080-1.jpg

You can likely run the 6080 alone without the 6J5 tubes as the 6J5s would be pretty much idle when the 6080 is running (6080 tubes are so powerful that they do all the work when run as a combo with other tubes). Generally the most powerful tube (lowest anode/cathode resistance) will do most of the amplification/work when running the amp in combo with the 6SN7 and 6J5 sockets filled.

For a super quiet amp, also try running a pair of 6N6P in the 6J5 sockets via adapters. Try the pair in 6J5 sockets alone (nothing in the 6SN7 socket) or in combo with other tubes in the 6SN7 socket to see what gives good tone/super low noise. You could also use a 6N6P to 6SN7 at the same time (so three 6N6P running at the same time :)) . When dual section (dual triode) tubes such as the 6N6P are run the in the 6J5 sockets, the adapters parallel their sections which reduces the anode resistance by half, and cuts down on overall tube noise.

Tubes that have lower amplification factor, or tubes with low anode/cathode resistance, will generally have lower tube noise. Big tubes such as the 6080/6AS7/6BX7/6BL7 have very low anode resistance and most should be very low noise. Tubes such as EL34 also have low anode/cathode resistance and would be very low noise in the Blue Halo. Some other small tubes such as 6C45P, 12BY7/12HG7/12GN7, and others also have quite low anode/cathode resistance despite being small tubes, and should be low noise as well.

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #726 of 1,277
My White Dwarf will be shipping this week along with the power conditioner Mischa has made for me. Very excited!
IMG_20210701_192930.jpg

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #728 of 1,277
My White Dwarf, Pure Power conditioner, and adapters from Mischa have arrived and are currently burring-in. I need to give it some more time before I feel I will be ready to give an honest review, but I am already floored by the musicality of the White Dwarf. When I first fired up the amp there was a low-level hum present that has since disappeared as the burn-in continues. I have ordered a Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231 which should be here tomorrow so I can listen to the amp as designed, currently I am running a 6N6P using one of Mischa’s adapters. Picture of the amp is on a table next to my desk where the amp is burning-in and will be moved to its permanent spot in the next week. Updates to follow.

John

ZMF.jpg

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #730 of 1,277
Been a little quiet on here, so thought I'd make a post. Had a friend come over yesterday evening and we were listening on the V6 Thunder. Loaded her up with 6 5998 tubes and 2 6N7G and plugged in the hard to drive LCD4 and Abyss at the same time. The LCD4 and Abyss are quite hard to drive headphones and the Abyss also has low impedance. There's no way an OTL amp should be able to drive these two headphones so well at the same time - but it does. Thanks again Mischa!

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #731 of 1,277
Been a little quiet on here, so thought I'd make a post. Had a friend come over yesterday evening and we were listening on the V6 Thunder. Loaded her up with 6 5998 tubes and 2 6N7G and plugged in the hard to drive LCD4 and Abyss at the same time. The LCD4 and Abyss are quite hard to drive headphones and the Abyss also has low impedance. There's no way an OTL amp should be able to drive these two headphones so well at the same time - but it does. Thanks again Mischa!
LOL! When I first read that, I thought your friend was female and you gave her 6 5998 tubes. I was wanting to be your friend too. :smile:

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #732 of 1,277
LOL! When I first read that, I thought your friend was female and you gave her 6 5998 tubes. I was wanting to be your friend too. :smile:
Haha yes I've read it again. I'll leave it as is :) You'd need to be a particularly nice female for me to hand over 6 5998 tubes - so that rules you out my friend.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #733 of 1,277

I came here because I thought your new KT88 / EL34 amp is ready. :)

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #734 of 1,277
I came here because I thought your new KT88 / EL34 amp is ready. :)
We're working on it :wink: Just my "bright idea" of having a copper case that is causing a hold up. But, if we can figure this out, this will also provide a nice option for future potential buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back