11 New Sony BA IEMs
Dec 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #391 of 845

Quote:
I did another listening today, driving the sony's straight from my iphone 4 (listening to the same lossless tunes as last time). Unfortunately the xba-4 were sold out down to the demo unit (they're selling like hot cakes apparently) so I could only compare the 1,2 and 3s. 

On purpose, I haven't reread the impressions I posted from the last 2 listening sessions so as not to influence my mind. If I remember correctly though, it appears my impressions were different today from last time at sony store yet closer to those I had at the fujiya festival, in particular in regards to the bass. Since I used my iphone at fujiya and today while I used an amp at the sony store, I can only suppose that impressions are highly dependent on the source/amplification (thus reflecting the concerns from some in regards to the very low impedance of these iems).

Anyhow, to make it short:
- the xba-1 live in the midrange, typical single full range driver, not sure it sounded very different from my se315. Rolled off up top, rolled off down below but reasonably present while not boomy. I wasn't particularly excited by the xba-1 but at the price, they surely sound good.
- the xba-2 didn't sound too good to me this time (i thought i liked them better than the 3's at the sony store). It was similar in the highs to the 1's but the bass was quite boomy / overblown. 
- the xba-3 are different ball game, the highs extend so much farther and have really nice sparkle without sounding edgy or strained. The bass was clearly cleaner than the 2's which is the opposite of what I thought at the sony booth i believe. 
- I really wished the 4's were there, I will go yet again to finalize my choice. The 4's appear to be the most popular at this store though so they must be doing something right...

Last, in terms of comfort, I am still a bit concerned if these won't hurt after a while. Really, only the xba-1 fit nicely (I have only used the standard plugs, I believe there's a foam alternative?). The 3's felt bulky and the 4's are even bigger. I have very small ears compared to most so this probably isn't any issue for others.

I also have small ears... could the xba-4 fit in your ears without problem?

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #393 of 845
Yeah, I know, the 4's look absolutely massive to me.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #394 of 845

The Sony hybrid tips shown above should give an indication as to how large the relative size is of the earphone. In the XBA-4's case, it looks rather risky for those with moderately small ears.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #395 of 845

Quote:

The Sony hybrid tips shown above should give an indication as to how large the relative size is of the earphone. In the XBA-4's case, it looks rather risky for those with moderately small ears.

The XBA-4 is one fat iem.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #396 of 845

Quote:

The 4 just looks massive. I wonder how it would fit in your ears. I mean, just from the size comparison between the tips, it looks like it will have very little to no isolation for people with medium to small ears. Seems like it's a hybrid half in ear and half out of the ear design. At least, that's the vibe that Sony is giving off to me.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #397 of 845

Well we can always buy the 3 and 4 and sell the less favorite one on head-fi lol. :)

The XBA-3's are looking attractive again now after Arnaud's new impressions versus the XBA-2.

As for impedance issues recommended sources are the Clip+, iPhone 4 and Teclast T51, I'm sure there's many more but it's hard to find the data.  The Fiio E6 is 0.25 ohm but it has a couple other issues in sound-quality I think.

Mini3 is 0.9 ohm and EHP-O2 is 0.5 ohm.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #398 of 845
Quote:
The 4 just looks massive. I wonder how it would fit in your ears. I mean, just from the size comparison between the tips, it looks like it will have very little to no isolation for people with medium to small ears. Seems like it's a hybrid half in ear and half out of the ear design. At least, that's the vibe that Sony is giving off to me.

Right you are, my friend.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #399 of 845
Interesting, I've read a few impressions that say the 3 are V shaped, not unlike the tf10. Do they truly have recessed mids?

=_= I'd be so disappointed if the 4 where the same, just with more bass quantity/quality.

Also, these have a J-cable right? That's actually a plus for me, I like draping my earphones around my neck.

Quote:
I did another listening today, driving the sony's straight from my iphone 4 (listening to the same lossless tunes as last time). Unfortunately the xba-4 were sold out down to the demo unit (they're selling like hot cakes apparently) so I could only compare the 1,2 and 3s. 

On purpose, I haven't reread the impressions I posted from the last 2 listening sessions so as not to influence my mind. If I remember correctly though, it appears my impressions were different today from last time at sony store yet closer to those I had at the fujiya festival, in particular in regards to the bass. Since I used my iphone at fujiya and today while I used an amp at the sony store, I can only suppose that impressions are highly dependent on the source/amplification (thus reflecting the concerns from some in regards to the very low impedance of these iems).

Anyhow, to make it short:
- the xba-1 live in the midrange, typical single full range driver, not sure it sounded very different from my se315. Rolled off up top, rolled off down below but reasonably present while not boomy. I wasn't particularly excited by the xba-1 but at the price, they surely sound good.
- the xba-2 didn't sound too good to me this time (i thought i liked them better than the 3's at the sony store). It was similar in the highs to the 1's but the bass was quite boomy / overblown. 
- the xba-3 are different ball game, the highs extend so much farther and have really nice sparkle without sounding edgy or strained. The bass was clearly cleaner than the 2's which is the opposite of what I thought at the sony booth i believe. 
- I really wished the 4's were there, I will go yet again to finalize my choice. The 4's appear to be the most popular at this store though so they must be doing something right...

Last, in terms of comfort, I am still a bit concerned if these won't hurt after a while. Really, only the xba-1 fit nicely (I have only used the standard plugs, I believe there's a foam alternative?). The 3's felt bulky and the 4's are even bigger. I have very small ears compared to most so this probably isn't any issue for others.

You could always use a monster triple flange/comply for better isolation (though hybrids usually give me more then enough). Considering they're selling out in the Sony store, Japanese people don't seem to have problems with the fit.

Lol, one of the few times in life having large ears comes in handy...

Quote:

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #402 of 845
 I really don't think the 4s felt massive at all compared to say the TF10, which are both big and unwieldy. While they are pretty big and chunky, the ergonomics of the design fit quite easily for me (cord-down) and I have
fairly average-sized ears.

I will be giving them another try in the next couple days and pick up the 3 or the 4 (hopefully not both!)

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #403 of 845
After a weekend with the XBA 4 and also after comparing them to the XBA 3, I definitely prefer the 4's.

They are big but not huge. I have middle sizes ears, I think. I usually use the M size for most of the tips - Sony hybrids, comply's and so on, so I think my ears are average. They are quite comfortable with the stock M tips.

SQ: They continue to impress. They are clear and they have the bass extension. These iems have the fun factor.

Isolation is good, much better than the FX 700 and the EX 1000. The EX 1000 is huge and I had problems with the fitting issue that is why I didn't keep them. The XBA-4 is quite comfortable. I use them during my commute this morning without any issues.

The shorter J cord is rather short. They come with an extension cord with a cord winder type thing. Rather useful, as you can adjust the length of the cord accordingly.

I will try to get some pics uploaded within a day or two.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #405 of 845
Thank you for the information...

Quote:
On rakuten/amazon.co.jp

I know at least rakuten does global shipping.

XBA-4
you can get them around 20,000yen which is about $250

XBA-3 around $200

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/dcc/item/sony_xba-4sl/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back