10th Calgary Head-Fi meeting June 29th 2014 Sunday at University of Calgary
May 10, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #16 of 82
Hi Guys!

While I'm looking forward to another Head-Fi get-together for Calgary, unfortunately June may not work for me. I had some fairly major neck surgery on March 31st and have been slowly making my recovery. I'm actually staying at my parents place out in BC as my condo is being renovated right now and my surgeon recommended getting away from the regular routine as you tend to do things that you shouldn't (and hence you delay your recovery).

I just started physiotherapy last week and will be back in Calgary for some follow-up appointments with the surgeon and family doctor at the end of June. While I'd love to attend, if June works for everyone else, I'll just have to pass on this one.

Let me know if July is a possibility.

Dale

May 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 82
Hi all,

Given the June 29th date, I'm going to do my best to make it and join in on the fun. Assuming my doctors give me the A-OK, here's what I'll be bringing:

Headphones:

1. Sennheiser HD800 with reterminated stock cable - can be used single ended w/ 1/8" or 1/4" TRS plugs, or balanced with RSA (Kobiconn) connector, dual 3 pin XLR or single 4 pin XLR.
2. Sennheiser Momentum Black over-the-ear - can be used single ended w/ 1/8" or 1/4" TRS plugs.
3. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm - can be used single ended w/ 1/8" or 1/4" TRS plugs, or balanced with RSA (Kobiconn) connector, dual 3 pin XLR or single 4 pin XLR.
4. Hifiman HE-560 - pre-ordered, so hopefully they arrive in time.

IEMs:

1. Shure SE-530 - single ended only
2. Shure SE-215 - single ended and balanced
3. Shure SE-846 - MAYBE - considering a pre-order but not likely

DAC:

1. Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo dB

DAC/AMP Combo:

1. Fiio E17 with E9 desktop amp/dock
2. Ray Samuels Audio 'The Intruder'
3. Headamp Pico - FOR SALE - $300 or best reasonable offer
4. SLIGHT POSSIBILITY - Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X with femto clocks, upgraded passive and active components, LPS 4 analog power supply and Geek Blue Bluetooth streaming adapter.

Sources:

1. iPhone 5 64GB
2. iPad Mini Retina 128GB
3. Fiio X3 w/ 2 x 64GB microSD cards
4. 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Hope to see you all there!

Dale

May 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #21 of 82
Hi, all. I'll try to attend. (I say "try" because it seems that every time I say "yes," something comes up.) I'll (try to) bring along HE-6 and bluemonkeyflyer-modded DBV#3 T50RP headphones along with a DIY Class-D amp and a Project Sunrise II DIY tube-amp/pre-amp. Also likely ODAC and CDAC+ (which is an ODAC variant with isolated USB and separate power supply). 

Looking forward to seeing you all.

May 18, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 82
If everything is as planned,

this meeting will be great!

LCD XC
TH900
HE-560

cant wait to try them,

Wingstrike  ,
which headphones you like the most now??? TH900? HD800 ?LCD-3?( do you still have that LCD-3?)

oo my i just checked your gear list,, you have a BHA-1 also? Great! so how the TH900 pair with the BHA-1?

as if they pair well and if i fall inlove , i will sell my alpha dog and go get the TH900.

May 19, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #27 of 82
  If everything is as planned,

this meeting will be great!

LCD XC
TH900
HE-560

cant wait to try them,

Wingstrike  ,
which headphones you like the most now??? TH900? HD800 ?LCD-3?( do you still have that LCD-3?)

oo my i just checked your gear list,, you have a BHA-1 also? Great! so how the TH900 pair with the BHA-1?

as if they pair well and if i fall inlove , i will sell my alpha dog and go get the TH900.

I've only had the TH900 for a couple of weeks, and havent had too much time to listen. But initial impressions are that they are fun and bassy. Not too intrusive, but just a lot of bass. Not as detailed as HD800 or LCD3. I think LCD3 still wins in mids, but TH900 come close. Haven't decided if I like the TH900 more than my other phones, so I'll keep listening but right now HD800s are still my fav.

As for pairing, i think they pair really well with the BHA-1, they seem to control the bass a bit better than my M^3. With the M^3, they can sound a little bloated at times

May 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #28 of 82
I've only had the TH900 for a couple of weeks, and havent had too much time to listen. But initial impressions are that they are fun and bassy. Not too intrusive, but just a lot of bass. Not as detailed as HD800 or LCD3. I think LCD3 still wins in mids, but TH900 come close. Haven't decided if I like the TH900 more than my other phones, so I'll keep listening but right now HD800s are still my fav.

As for pairing, i think they pair really well with the BHA-1, they seem to control the bass a bit better than my M^3. With the M^3, they can sound a little bloated at times

Fun and bassy,mmmm I don't think that is what I want , will see. As for now fun and brassy is my ps 1000 to me, I think I will have to try, May be
he 560 is what I need .

May 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #29 of 82
Just received a email back from UC ,
still need to wait for the confirmation, but it should work.

If you guys have any friends who interest in headphones, bring them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back