$1000 for everything
Oct 21, 2008 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Ender17

New Head-Fier
OK, I have been wanting a super nice headphone setup for a while and this ebay 30% cashback is the perfect opportunity.

I have some HD595s right now and they are pretty nice, but I don't have an amp or anything and I don't even have a sound card in my computer.
I ordered this one for gaming, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I thinking of something more suited to music
Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

So, with $1000 (before cashback) what kind of headphone + amp + sound card combo would be recommended? This will be for my desktop so portability is not a concern.

For starters I looked at some HD600s and HD650s since I like the sound of sennheisers, but I haven't ever listened to anything else...

edit: I have an Onkyo 605 receiver in my living room, so if there is some way to use that, I'm open to the idea.

edit2: Also, if I need a DAC or some special cables or something, let me know that too. I'm a total noob here guys and for once I just want to make a quick purchase and not spend months researching and second guessing myself. I figure for this kind of cash, just about anything should be amazing compared to what I'm used to.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what type of music do you listen to mainly?

I know it sounds cliche, but just about everything. I was listening to Bear McCreary - Battlestar Sonata tonight when I decided I wanted to make this purchase.
I probably like more rock/alternative songs than any other single genre, but there are some "classic" music pieces I really like and want them to sound as good as possible. I don't listen to a lot of rap, not that sound quality is very important with it.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 30
I personally advise against sennheiser HD600+HD650. You're missing out if you're trying to drive those monsters with underpowered amp (althouhg HD600 is little easier). Also, I'm not sure what amps are on ebay for "buy now"....aside from portable amps and little dots...

I generally recommend keces 151 dac - gilmore lite - AD2000 for great all-rounders, but it's slightly over 1000$, and I have yet to see new gilmore lites for sale. :S

perhaps someone with experience in ebay shopping could help.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krelian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather invest in a good DAC/amp combo instead of a sound card.

or DAC and amp separately - bypass the soundcard altogether.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

I personally advise against sennheiser HD600+HD650. You're missing out if you're trying to drive those monsters with underpowered amp (althouhg HD600 is little easier). Also, I'm not sure what amps are on ebay for "buy now"....aside from portable amps and little dots...

I generally recommend keces 151 dac - gilmore lite - AD2000 for great all-rounders, but it's slightly over 1000$, and I have yet to see new gilmore lites for sale. :S

perhaps someone with experience in ebay shopping could help.

yeah, needs to be available on ebay unless there is an incredible value elsewhere

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, needs to be available on ebay unless there is an incredible value elsewhere

well, Gilmore lite is 400$ new and around 300$ used...it's rather versatile little amp, it drives my AD2000 and K701 quite well.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

well, Gilmore lite is 400$ new and around 300$ used...it's rather versatile little amp, it drives my AD2000 and K701 quite well.

well it doesn't have to be from ebay, but I can't spend more than about $700 net
also, is DAC, amp, and headphones all I need?
what does the DAC do? connect to computer via USB?
and any comments on using the Onkyo 605?
thanks

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 30
anyone else? I'm leaning towards

keces 151 dac
little dot or gilmore lite
still not sure about headphones - AD2000 and HD600/650 still look nice, but not sure what kind of amp would be powerful enough for the HD600/650, but did see some darkvoice 336 amps on ebay

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 30
As a side note, you will need an analog cable to go from the DAC to your amp, and a digital cable (optical toslink, USB or coaxial depending on your computer, dac, and preferences) to connect all of this.

Analog cables can be quite pricey and a definant factor at 700$.
Digital cables are kind of an argument source around here but what is generally agreed on is get something shielded well, doesnt use ferrites, and is gold plated (so it wont oxidize). This would be something like a belkin 2.0 usb. For optical try and get some kind of glass fibered cable, such as the dayton glass toslink. Coaxial I dont have much input on becuase my computer is toslink and usb only, but you can have a 75ohm cable (coaxial) made from companies like blue jeans for a fair price.

Also take a look around for good deals on interconnects (the analog cable from DAC to amp) at places like blue jeans cable or soloz audio or some of the diyers here can make a nice cable for you depending on what you are looking for and have left to spend.

Dave

(Im not affiliated with any of the products or companies mentioned above)

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 30
I believe the HD600 do well with everything. I have the HD580, they are very similar, and the AKG K701. Now I also listen to everything. I use the AKG K701 for acoustic music, most jazz and vocals. Everything else is the HD580s. And while the 580/600s do well with everything I use my K701 for, I just like the k701s better for them.

Now I believe that the HD600s benefit from a tube amp. Although I have not heard them from the Gilmore Lite mentioned above, but I would like to. It is also said around here that the Darkvoices have great synergy with the Sennheiser line.

After this, you need to look at DACs. If you order that soundcard, you can use the digital out of it to a regular DAC. If you have bought everything from ebay you should have around $300 left with the cashback right? If you do there are many good DACs for that price. I know headroom makes a dac for that much money. I am sure it is good, I see a lot of people around here have it.

As for cables, I suggest looking at Blue Jeans Cables. They are pretty cheap and good. For the setup mentioned above, or almost any setup, you would need one digital cable, coaxial or optical. You would also need a pair of RCA cables. All of these cables can be had for BJC for pretty cheap.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 30
Well, I would recommend the Keces DA-152 instead. It'll run you $520 after shipping, but it can be purchased on Ebay. It's the same DAC as the 151 (which is fantastic, by the way!), with what looks to be a great headphone amp built in. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the added cost of ICs, either.

After the 30% cash back, that leaves you $336 for headphones outside of Ebay, or $480 within... I think that'll do. ;o)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back