~100$ speakers for computer?
May 17, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 15
Does he want 4 speakers, 5 speakers 2 speakers and a sub?

Monsoon PM14 is a decent 2 speaker + sub system that you can get at Circuit City for ~$80 I believe.

May 17, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 15
I vote - as always - for the Cambridge SoundWorks "Soundworks" powered 2.1 system. Its almost 10 years old, but IMO it is still quality bang-for-the-buck.
Most mass market 2.1 computer speakers overemphasize treble or bass to "woo" purchasers. But, you quickly realize that the speakers are crap after listening to its boomy and harsh sound for a few days. The Soundworks, on the other hand, was designed by the late audio hall of fame inductee, Mr. Henry Kloss, and the tonal balance on the Soundworks is very good. On absolute terms, compared to Hi-Fi speakers the Soundworks might sound touch thin, but that's more of the price and thus drivers limitation rather than a design flaw. I've listened to other 2.1 models like the logitech, KLH, Advent, etc., at stores but was never as impressed with them as the Soundworks.

You can purchase the CSW "Soundwork" for $70 from hifi.com.

May 17, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 15
i use to have the soundworks, before lightning killed it. but i would hve to agree with most of ticky's, i loved that thing. but that was when it just came out. i am not sure how much better pc speakers are now.

awhile back, compusa had the telex sonicxs speakers for 50 dollars. and let me say, for 50, these are truly the best. you might still be able to find some at your local compusa. i got mine about 4 months ago, so i dont know. search goggle, you'll find rave reviews. careful though, the make quality of these aren't too good. a lot of people have problems with them, including me mine. but i just returned it and got new ones that worked fine. anyways, if you can find them...pick one up, you wont be disappointed.

also, i am pretty sure the monsoon planars are sold out. you might be able to find refurbished ones on ebay though.

May 17, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
He'd prefer surround, which is why this is so hard.
I'm having doubts about finding a good system.
I see this:
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...000&type=store
But I don't know...

I've read some comments on the sound of that system. They were less than impressive. IMO, the newer soundworks don't quite match up to the older models. I guess when Kloss left the company to start the Tivoli line of table radios, CSW had since "strayed" off and is becoming more mass-market. I've listened to the newer (and bigger) sub/sat systems. The bass, while deeper and louder, is also boomy sounding. The tonal balance of the larger sats are also not as good as the original Soundworks model. I've also listened to newer multimedias by other brands, IMO - while they go louder and deeper in bass - these also don't quite match up the Soundwork's balance.

Perhaps what your friend could do is get the Soundworks and then buy 2 more satellite cubes for surround. Of course, your friend might have to find ways to power those extra satellites. But, that should come out around $100 for the 2.1 and extra satellites.

May 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 15
My friend has the fps2000. It's not that good by today's standards. I also wouldn't buy them direct, I bet you can find it for much less from other venues. The bass on them is a major problem (one note blare,) and don't count on a soundstage. On the other hand, what CAN you get for $100 surround sound? The logitech 560 has boomy bass but I would still take it over the fps2000.

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/gs29700550403.html

May 17, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, I had my doubts about those 4.1 Cambridge Soundworks, and it seems I was right.
The 2.1s Ticky is recommending seems good, but I'll have to convince him that they're worth it over some worse 4.1/5.1s.

May 17, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm afraid that the 2.1's satellites are the same as the fps2000. If so, I would personally avoid them.

May 17, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I'm afraid that the 2.1's satellites are the same as the fps2000. If so, I would personally avoid them.

I respectfully dissent. In absolute terms, I'm not sure if there exists a 2.1 system under $100 that would be considered Hi-Fi. I've listened to some of the newer stuff out there (Logictech, JBL, KLH, Soundblaster) and have not been impressed. They are usually bigger (i.e. louder), have cooler designs and are more expensive. But, in terms of sheer sound quality, I haven't heard one that beats the Soundworks.

CSW might offer a return policy. I guess Bolt San's friend could return the Soundworks if he decides to do so.

May 17, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't know if they are the same satellites or not. That's what I was trying to say. Having heard the fps2000 satellites, though, I'm saying that if they are the same satellites, they're not exactly spectacular. Well, for the price, there aren't too many options, so...

May 17, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Best computer speakers I've heard for under $100 are the Bose MediaMates. No, I'm not trolling, and I'm far from a Bose fanboy, but these little guys do the job well without a sub. I doubt this is what you'll end up with, as you want a surround, but a great option for under $100. If music is your top concern, give these a listen, hard to beat for under $100.

-dd3mon

May 17, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
They're for a friend.
I have no real experience, and all I can find is the Logitech Z-640s..
Can anyone help with something better?

Bolt San, this might give you some help...
wink.gif

May 17, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 15
I remember hearing the mediamates. They're very distinctive in sound. Definitely a must audition before buying speaker.

May 17, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I remember hearing the mediamates. They're very distinctive in sound. Definitely a must audition before buying speaker.

I had the Roommate IIs (self-powered) and they were great. You can pick those up on ebay for $100. Original price was over $600 over here..
blinkphones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back