~$100 silver interconnects
Apr 15, 2004 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

pirate

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm torn between the Grover Silver Reference for about $120 and the Bogdan Silver Princess for $90, both with excellent reviews. Anyone with opinions between the two? (I'm not including the Bogdan Silver Spirit because my budget cannot and will not stretch that high)

If there are cheaper or similar priced silver better interconnects you think I should look into, let me know. I will be upgrading from Magwire Nakeds

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 26
I can't help with advice to narrow things down, but why not also add the RS Audio Solid Silvers? They run $89 for .5m runs.

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 26
1. Grover Silver Reference $120
2. Bogdan Silver Princess $90
3. RS Audio Solid Silver $90
4. Headphile Blacksilvers $80

How do these compare? (website for RS Audio?)

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I can't help with advice to narrow things down, but why not also add the RS Audio Solid Silvers? They run $89 for .5m runs.

confused.gif
Doug- I thought you had concluded thse IC''s are not up to par?

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
confused.gif
Doug- I thought you had concluded thse IC''s are not up to par?

When compared to other ICs costing 3-5 times as much, yes they are. But, when running them on their own they are extremely good for their price point. Way better than anything should sound for a bit under $100. I would like to compare them to something like the Bogdans and others in that price range, but won't have the time or money. Too many things to review already.

Apr 15, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 26
Pirate,

Hello there. The best value cable is one you build yourself. If you don't have the time/experience to do that, there are a lot of options out there and try a few cables. Try and get ones with return policies in case you don't like them. If you are interested in the RS Audio silvers I'd be willing to send you a pair I own to see if you like them. I won't comment on them as I sell competing products.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks Hajime, that's very generous of you! It would give me a chance to test silver within my system (which should be done within a couple weeks, so no need to send it quite yet).

I could try the test and return method, but I would only be able to purchase one cable at the time, preventing me from being to A-B similar designs. Perhaps there will be reviews at a later time I can consult, and as for now, thanks and i'll let you know exactly when i would like to borrow it!

Apr 16, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 26
Maybe you could cajole Grover or Larry (Headphile) to send some cables to you for an audition. Along with Chris' generous offer to let you borrow his RS Audios, you could have yourself a nice little cable shootout.
smily_headphones1.gif

D.

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by grover
I'm for the shoot out will gladly supply SR's on loan. groverhuffman@hotmail.com

thanks for the offer grover!

but perhaps some other head-fier would like to do this shoot-out because i'm somewhat very new at this and probably could not differentiate the differences quite as well?

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by pirate
thanks for the offer grover!

but perhaps some other head-fier would like to do this shoot-out because i'm somewhat very new at this and probably could not differentiate the differences quite as well?

If you set it up, I'll be happy to help out. I'm over in Rockville. I've got several sets of the Grover SR's already
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
If you set it up, I'll be happy to help out. I'm over in Rockville. I've got several sets of the Grover SR's already
wink.gif

perhaps this could work out quite nicely, my friend from silver spring wanted to help out as well, albeit lack of equipment. i guess i'd bring my nec, dackit, hd300 (when it comes), power supplies, etc (just to test out the cables on my system) and we'll see how it goes from there.

which cables do you think we should ask to audition?

1. Grover Silver Reference $120 (already got some, and if needed, grover would supply for audition)
2. Bogdan Silver Princess $90 (no return policy... but i really wanted to see how these were, perhaps he could make an exception?)
3. RS Audio Solid Silver $90 (thanks Hajime)
4. Headphile Blacksilvers $80 (who should i contact for this?)
5. Alpha-core micro purl silver $127
(who should i contact for this?)

any of these you think should be taken off the list hirsch? or added?

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 26
I've got Homegrown Audio Silver Lace here. Also the Bogdan Silver Sprit Reference. These may be a bit higher up the price scale. I've got several cables made with DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1, but that's silver plated copper, IIRC.

The thing about silver is that it really needs burn-in before it can be evaluated. We're talking about 200 hours or so. Each set of cables that gets introduced into a comparison should really be run 24/7 for a bit. Comparing fully burned-in cables to new ones is unfair to the new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back