100 >= IEM wars: Ostry KC06, Hifiman Re-400, VSonic VSD3S, Havi Pro 1
Sep 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

krelianx

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
So, I have been the very happy owner of a Hifiman re-400 for a bit over a year now. Unfortunately, the cable broke, and now I am back in the market. Now, I am quite bummed about the hifiman's being so brittle, and having no detachable cable for the price seems a bit annoying. That said, the neutral, detailed sound signature was exceptional for the price.

As I understand it, however, new contenders are on the playing field, which have set the budget IEM bar quite a bit higher, and maybe have dethroned the champs of old. So, with that said, I would like to know what you guys think of these alternatives and which one is the better buy as it stands for now.

Cheers to everyone!

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm voting for VSD3S, it's an excellent sounding earphone, and I've heard all the other choices in your list. It's quite divided some will prefer others (because they're all good) , but for $45 shipped with detachable cables plus the sound, fit, and design VSD3S gets my 100% vote. You're right all of the above have indeed set the budget bar very high.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm voting for VSD3S, it's an excellent sounding earphone, and I've heard all the other choices in your list. It's quite divided some will prefer others (because they're all good) , but for $45 shipped with detachable cables plus the sound, fit, and design VSD3S gets my 100% vote. You're right all of the above have indeed set the budget bar very high.

Thanks for the input! Care to say a bit more about how the sound shows in relation to the re-400s or any of the other contenders? They do look quite lovely! :)

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 16

Thanks for the input! Care to say a bit more about how the sound shows in relation to the re-400s or any of the other contenders? They do look quite lovely! :)

To my ears VSD3S sounds richer in detail than RE-400 by a little and the timbre is more natural. I wasn't overly impressed with RE-400 and that was running them balanced from HM-700. I can tell you the sound of VSD3S is a lot more appealing to my ears. They sound great with the $100 Colorfly C3 if you're looking for a player. Keep in mind Vsonics reference target for VSD3 series was Westone 4, I believe they've done a pretty darn good job of that.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 16

To my ears VSD3S sounds richer in detail than RE-400 by a little and the timbre is more natural. I wasn't overly impressed with RE-400 and that was running them balanced from HM-700. I can tell you the sound of VSD3S is a lot more appealing to my ears. They sound great with the $100 Colorfly C3 if you're looking for a player. Keep in mind Vsonics reference target for VSD3 series was Westone 4, I believe they've done a pretty darn good job of that.

Also, where are you looking for the $45 shipped price? I saw penonaudio but they only have red-purple versions which look less sightly, and add +$10 for a total of $55.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 16
  Also, where are you looking for the $45 shipped price? I saw penonaudio but they only have red-purple versions which look less sightly, and add +$10 for a total of $55.

Yes it's Penon.

Just don't select any colour and that defaults you the black/standard colour.

http://penonaudio.com/VSONIC-VSD3S

The colour options are only there if you want to choose one otherwise just leave that space blank.

beerchug.gif

Edit: I was wrong, it appears they're out of stock on the standard colour?

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 16

Yes it's Penon.

Just don't select any colour and that defaults you the black/standard colour.

http://penonaudio.com/VSONIC-VSD3S

The colour options are only there if you want to choose one otherwise just leave that space blank.

beerchug.gif

Edit: I was wrong, it appears they're out of stock on the standard colour?

So it would seem. I might just jump on a $55 ebay deal from hong kong... if that is safe. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 16
  So it would seem. I might just jump on a $55 ebay deal from hong kong... if that is safe. 

I found them for $49 USD but I think one of those options is your best bet. It could be ages before either lendmeurears or Penon have stock again of the standard version.

I'll leave you the link I found in case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-VSD3S-Hifi-Professional-sound-insulation-Stereo-Inner-Ear-Audio-Earphones-/271593210252?pt=US_Headphones&var=&hash=item3f3c37818c

Good luck friend, I can tell you the VSD3S is great though!

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 16

I found them for $49 USD but I think one of those options is your best bet. It could be ages before either lendmeurears or Penon have stock again of the standard version.

I'll leave you the link I found in case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-VSD3S-Hifi-Professional-sound-insulation-Stereo-Inner-Ear-Audio-Earphones-/271593210252?pt=US_Headphones&var=&hash=item3f3c37818c

Good luck friend, I can tell you the VSD3S is great though!

When you mean "one of those options", you mean the colored from penon, or the ebay? What's the catch with ebay?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 16
  When you mean "one of those options", you mean the colored from penon, or the ebay? What's the catch with ebay?

Sorry, I meant eBay is probably your best option as the other main sellers we use are out of stock (Penon, Lendmeurears)

The only downside I see with eBay is shipping can be a little long or "unknown" whereas Penon is pretty spot on about average 10 days. (to Australia anyway). I guess it depends how much the extra $10 is important to you and if you're willing to wait for eBay shipping times, but the seller I linked seems legit enough.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 16
  Lend Me UR Ears have them on stock again, and next month VSD5 should arrive 
beerchug.gif

Thanks to you and to H20fidelity! In the end I bought mine from ebay, so hopefully they arrive relatively soon.

I was aiming for a budget model, since I recently bought a Fidelio X1, an Hd-600s, and an Aune T1. So, I want to cool down the expenses for a bit.

I was interested to hear more impressions of how these compare to the re-400, and I got some brief but positive indications. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 16

Thanks to you and to H20fidelity! In the end I bought mine from ebay, so hopefully they arrive relatively soon.

I was aiming for a budget model, since I recently bought a Fidelio X1, an Hd-600s, and an Aune T1. So, I want to cool down the expenses for a bit.

I was interested to hear more impressions of how these compare to the re-400, and I got some brief but positive indications. 

Have you already got them?
Anything to say? 
popcorn.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 16

Have you already got them?
Anything to say? 
popcorn.gif

Got them today.

So far, I am very, very letdown. 

They are just too bright for me. The bass is nice and controlled, the mids are clear and detailed. They are spacious, resolute, and forward. But the treble peaks too high, to the point where I just find it strident. Ruins the musicality of it, making them sound artificial and colored. Maybe they need burn-in, but by God I doubt it can be leveled.

In addition, the ergonomics are just way off. They are quite heavy, and their odd shaping makes for odd maneuvering, which I have found makes putting the earpieces around the ear quite uncomfortable. They are just bulky, and heavy, which of course makes the comfort annoying. The tip assortment is mediocre at best, and none made a good fit.

Build quality is questionable too, particularly the cable seems really, really frail. Replaceable or not, the cable is just not good, with no strain relief.

Worse still, my left earpiece came with a shoddy connection / damaged cable, which sizzles in and out when gently tilted around the connector area (so i'd get sibilance and fade out everytime music was running as I was trying to get a good fit...)

Unfortunately, I ordered them from ebay, and they took FOREVER to arrive, so sending them back to freaking China and hoping for them to arrive is pretty silly.

Very bummed out about these; there's no way in hell these compete with my re-400s.

So a unrefined sound profile, shoddy build, deficient ergonomics, and a cable damaged from stock. Not a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back