$100, DAC/amp or new Headphones?
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jason32835

New Head-Fier
I'm hoping this question is enough of a deviation from the "which amp is best for $100" threads to warrent a response. The deal is, I have $100 only to improve my audio setup and I want to make sure I get the most out of it.

I currently listen to music mostly at work via a Sansa Clip + and at home on my laptop. After much research I ended up buying a set of Yamaha RH-5Ma cans and I have been pretty happy with them, but they are the only "nice" headphones I've ever owned, so I don't know what I am missing!

OK, the question! Should I invest in a different set of $100 cans, maybe Grados?

OR

Would my $100 best be spend on something like the E7 or E17 (if I can find another $20).. This would be used via my laptop obviously and maybe via an Android device if they ever get that sorted out. I might just haul my laptop to work if it was worth it.

So.. you have $100 a Sansa Clip +, a laptop and a pair of OK? headphones.. What would you buy??

Thanks guys!

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Oh yeah, I've read that thread at length.

So laptop ---> E17 ---> headphones wouldn't be a noticable improvement over Clip+ --> headphones? Or maybe not with the headphones I currently have?

I might look at used gear also if it will make my $$ stretch further.  Or wait and save.. geesh, that is no fun.  If I did that, would I be best upgrading headphones first or source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back