< $100 cans: AKG K240, Sony MDR-V700DJ
Jun 26, 2002 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

smilinggoat

New Head-Fier
I'm a student entering the University of Miami's Music Engineering Technology program. I already make my own electronic music and am looking for a budget (absolute highest I'll go is $150) pair of headphones for mixing, listening, etc.

My friends all use the MDR-V700DJ cause they're DJ's and being into Intelligent Dance Music, I really love a full, deep, whalloping bass. However, that big bump in the lower, mid range which sounds great isn't so good for coming up with a clean mix.

I'd get the AKG K240 Studio (what are the differences between the Studio, Monitor, and DF?) but they need a headphone amp which means that portable listening would be hindered, plus a headphone amp is more money which is something I can't afford to spend at this time (Damn this country's educational system!).

Although I'd love to get the Sony's for listening and the AKG's for mixing/producing, I simply cannot afford 2 great pairs of cans. The bass and low power consumption drive me towards the Sonys but the flatness and accuracy of the AKG's make me want to get them. Any help?

Also, what are some good, inexpensive ($50?) headphone amps? Or does anyone have any ampless suggestions for my needs?

Cheers,
the Smiling Goat

Jun 26, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 30
Sony MDR-7506

'nuff said.

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 30
You would have to be a real cretin, no, make that full blown 'deaf mute'(now there's an ancient term), to do any serious mixing or recording with the V700DJ.
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
Sennheiser HD280PRO. $100. blows away V7506 and the v700dj or whatever is just plain horrible.

He wants: "full, deep, whalloping bass"

You won't get that with the hd280's... maybe 250-80's?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Team 250-80 mwhaha

Biggie.

Jun 26, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 30
what are you talking about?!??! you are crazy! the 280PRO goes about as deep as the 250-80!!! and the 250 80 is about out of his range..... but yes, i forgot to mention it.

Jun 26, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

ANd who said that the v700dj was "NOT BAD"!?!?!?

that was me. i like em for dancy fun. have you ever listened to some killer Autechre or Infected Mushroom on them? sound fat as butter.

Jun 26, 2002 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 30
a1leyez0nm3 ,
Have u tried the V6? I know that the V6 has some weakness; however, I don't really think that the HD-280 is any better than the V6. Bass belongs to the V6. I also think the HD-280 sound a bit thin to my ears. I may be wrong, since I auditioned both phones at Mars music.
I have the V6, and really think it is a great phone. However, grado SR-80 is significant better than both headphones still. Try it out yourself, and you'll see what i'm talking about. The downpoint about the SR-80 is leakage of sound, and colored sound.

smilinggoat,
Ask JMT to built you a Cmoy amp or look in buy/sell forum for a cheap amp. Cmoy should be able to power Senn HD-580 fine...that should be enough to power most of the phones out their.

Jun 26, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 30
Hmmm. I guess you have to make a decision as to which you do more, and which is important to you. Listening or mixing.

I like the V700's for 'just listening'. Very entertaining phones. And can be driven from a portable without an amp - even in fairly noisy environments.

I haven't tried the AKG so can't give you an answer for that, but it looks like for portable and 'laid back' use they would be out.

And a1leyez0nm3, I don't know what rig you have, but on my fixed (with Headline amp) and portable rigs, the HD280 sounds thin and uninvolving. Tight bass my ass - it's not there until you hit 11 on the amp, and it distorts quite easily above a certain range. On a portable, the bass sounds like castanets... Still, for those who listen to MANDY MOORE and the like I guess it's not a big issue
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
. BUT, for 'scientific' mixing, the HD280's would be great as well.

For a balanced phone, the MDR-7506 that someone else here recommended may be worth a listen. And apparently the Beyerdynamic 250-80 are also worthy of mention. I suggest that you take the reviews - even mine - here with a pinch of salt and actually go and listen to the damned things.

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
Sennheiser HD280PRO. $100. blows away V7506 and the v700dj or whatever is just plain horrible.

It's just *wrong* to put the 7506 in the same classification as teh 700DJs! The 7506 is far away from 'just plain horrible'.

Insult the 700DJs all you want, but leave the 7506 out of it!
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 30
I tried out my old pair of V900s a couple of weeks ago. Bassicly the same thing as the V700. 3 words. Muddy, murky, mufffled sound. The drums sounded like they were coming from under water.

Jun 26, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 30
Magicthyse, are you sure you're 280s were/are fully broken in? It doesn't sound at all like they are, plenty of people have reported that the 280s need substantial break in. Mine sounded bass deficient at first too. I just find it hard to believe that you would prefer the sound of a large MDR-V150 (V700) to the 280! Mine don't seem to sound thin, more bass than my sr-80s anyway, amped or unamped. Do yours have less bass than grados?

Jun 26, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Sony MDR-7506

'nuff said.

you know, i think i'll take your advise on this one Nezer. Of course I'll first head into Mars music or something and compare them to AKG's and such.

but i think i'll get the V6's instead and spend the saved money on Beyer pads
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by smilinggoat

you know, i think i'll take your advise on this one Nezer. Of course I'll first head into Mars music or something and compare them to AKG's and such.

but i think i'll get the V6's instead and spend the saved money on Beyer pads
wink.gif

Smart decision...

And, while your at it, swing by a Circuit City and pick-up a pair of Koss KSC-50s. That will be the best $15 pair of headphones you'll ever buy. The 50s are far from perfect (uncomfortable, awful cable) but for $15 they sound damned good and can always be used as a backup or for modding. I own about 4 or 5 different pairs of the various Koss 60-ohm models. I swear these things can be made to sound DAMNED close to HD600s! All for $15 and a few cents on some resistors. If I figure out how to get an Senn-compatible plug on my 501s I may do the same with a pair of 50s and see what they do with a Cardas! I think they really are that good!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back