$100 CAN suggestions?
May 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jreme

New Head-Fier
Source: Laptop, iPod Touch 3G
Genres: Alt/"Indie" Rock, Folk Rock, Electronic(a), Some Hip-Hop.
Preference: Decent bass, good mids/highs.
Usage: Mostly home, some school use.
Price Range: $80-$100 (some flexibility)
Current Phones/IEMs: JVC Flats, JVC Marshmallow, Sony NC7

I'm very split on if I need isolation. It will be used at home but I feel as if isolation is extremely useful to have for when I am using it out of the house. Obviously I cannot have a decent soundstage and good isolation at this price range. Opinions?

Preferably the headphones are actually available in Canada, and I would prefer they don't need to be purchased online.

May 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Grado Sr80i is a good start. I love mine and they are questioning.

Now I'm on the hunt for more isolating headphones, but then I still would use my grados for the SQ

Grados are sound leaking, non-isolating as you can get. But this can be a good thing.

If your on the town, you hear your music and the world around you.

If you want isolation, they are not the headphones. But if you don't live around a lot of loud people you want to get away from, and you do live in a place you can turn the TV off and just listen to you headphones, Grados are the way to go.

May 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Grado Sr80i is a good start. I love mine and they are questioning.

Now I'm on the hunt for more isolating headphones, but then I still would use my grados for the SQ

Grados are sound leaking, non-isolating as you can get. But this can be a good thing.

If your on the town, you hear your music and the world around you.

If you want isolation, they are not the headphones. But if you don't live around a lot of loud people you want to get away from, and you do live in a place you can turn the TV off and just listen to you headphones, Grados are the way to go.

I can honestly say I've never heard anyone say that's a good thing.

May 30, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Lots of us prefer open headphones. There are only a handful of closed headphones I enjoy.

For $100, try the Alessandro MS-1. I don't know where the love went. These used to be among the most recommended headphones here. They still sound great.

May 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 8
How about Ultrasone's HFi-450?

May 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 8
how about the shure srh440 for $99. good bang for your buck. and they sell it at futureshop.

May 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Okay so because of the environment in which I'll be using these and the general better sound, I think i'm going to go with some open headphones.

Thinking about the AKG K99 or K514.. These are both semi-open. What are the differences and which one is 'better'?

May 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Hmm, there doesn't seem to be much info on them.  I would say they're atleast pretty decent.  Another open air option for ya is Sennheiser's HD555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back