$100 budget closed-cans
Apr 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

FieldZ

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to the audiophile world, and I plan to make a purchase relatively soon, and I need recommendations. Here are headphones I am looking at:

KRK KNS6400 (My brother owns some Rokit Studio Monitors, they are pretty amazing)
Shure SRH440
Sony MDR-V6

Types of music:
Pretty much any genre, I switch a lot. I am currently listening to a lot of house, about a month ago I was listening to hip hop, two months ago acoustic rock, three months ago punk rock, etc. The only thing I don't listen to is classical and pop.

What I am looking for:
A headphone with an impactful bass, but not too bassy, decent mids and highs. Trying to stay under $100. I need closed cans since I might be using this around a bit.

Other suggestions welcome as well.

Thanks

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 31
You could add the Koss Pro/4AA to your list. I like mine. The bass is good, for me anyway. There's just enough it seems. They seem to extend relatively low, although there does appear to be slight lack of detail throughout the spectrum of the headphone. But regardless, they have a nice smooth kind of sound that IMO works well with many genres of music. I consider them a great go to can, because they can perform in many genres for me.

This is just my experience though, your mileage may vary. Just something to add to your list and take a look at, is all.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 31
You could add the Koss Pro/4AA to your list. I like mine. The bass is good, for me anyway. There's just enough it seems. They seem to extend relatively low, although there does appear to be slight lack of detail throughout the spectrum of the headphone. But regardless, they have a nice smooth kind of sound that IMO works well with many genres of music. I consider them a great go to can, because they can perform in many genres for me.

This is just my experience though, your mileage may vary. Just something to add to your list and take a look at, is all.

I will definitively consider them, they sound pretty good. I'll research them some.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 31
The CAL!, even at it's current high price, is a better <$100 can than the 3 you listed.  The Koss ProDJ100, currently priced at Amazon in the low $60's, is also worth considering.

If semi-open will work for you as well, check out the AKG K 240 Studio.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 31
I vote Sony V6/7506. I own them; they sound great, they're incredibly durable, and they're comfortable.

Thanks for the input, I'll consider them more.
The CAL!, even at it's current high price, is a better <$100 can than the 3 you listed.  The Koss ProDJ100, currently priced at Amazon in the low $60's, is also worth considering.

If semi-open will work for you as well, check out the AKG K 240 Studio.

I'll also consider the CAL!
Koss DJ100, its around $60 now since a newer version was just released. You can use the $40 left to buy a cmoy or a used fiio e11 amp to power them.

This option seems good, however, I am not sure if I want to be carrying around an amp with me. Ill need to think about it for a bit.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Quote:
Koss DJ100, its around $60 now since a newer version was just released. You can use the $40 left to buy a cmoy or a used fiio e11 amp to power them.

This option seems good, however, I am not sure if I want to be carrying around an amp with me. Ill need to think about it for a bit.

Actually, they're on sale for $50 now: http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/3030#post_8334188
An amp is not absolutely necessary. You can always buy headphones first and then decide to try an amp later on. The fiio e6 is also another option for an inexpensive amp.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 31
I don't know about the Sonys, but I would not recommend getting the first 2 based on what you said. I would either go with Koss DJ100s with M50 pads or upgrade a bit to KRK KNS 8400s (you can find them for right around 100 dollars) because it's significantly more comfortable and had a lot more bass compared to the 6400s IMO.

You can also look into HM5s if you're willing to spend 10-15 more dollars in the FS section here.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:

Actually, they're on sale for $50 now: http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/3030#post_8334188
An amp is not absolutely necessary. You can always buy headphones first and then decide to try an amp later on. The fiio e6 is also another option for an inexpensive amp.

That's a good deal, I think I will jump on that. I see a used Fiio E11 on amazon with a L9 LOD, so I'll jump on that as well, put me barely over budget

Quote:
I don't know about the Sonys, but I would not recommend getting the first 2 based on what you said. I would either go with Koss DJ100s with M50 pads or upgrade a bit to KRK KNS 8400s (you can find them for right around 100 dollars) because it's significantly more comfortable and had a lot more bass compared to the 6400s IMO.

You can also look into HM5s if you're willing to spend 10-15 more dollars in the FS section here.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would rather not push my budget too much, as I am pretty tight on money right now. At $105, The DJ100s + E11 seem great.

Thanks everyone :)

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 31
You should consider a generic version of HM5/FA-003. They should cost about $100 or cheaper. I used to have CAL! but my HM5s are on an entirely different level. Note that HM5/FA-003s are more neutral than CAL! even although CAL! is already quite balanced, albeit with a slight V shape. But the bass quantity of them are similar, and HM5s are better in basically every way, unless you prefer smaller soundstage, slightly hasher highs, slightly recessed mids, not-as-deep bass, etc....

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 31
My Sony V6 is 24 years old and still works fine. The V6 is a studio monitor. It is meant to be neutral sounding, so those who want impactful or exaggerated bass might not be too pleased with it. If you want extra bass, perhaps the Sony XB500 or XB700 might be closer to what you want?

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
My Sony V6 is 24 years old and still works fine. The V6 is a studio monitor. It is meant to be neutral sounding, so those who want impactful or exaggerated bass might not be too pleased with it. If you want extra bass, perhaps the Sony XB500 or XB700 might be closer to what you want?

It is a classic, but I think the Shure SRH 440 tops it in their niche. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
You should consider a generic version of HM5/FA-003. They should cost about $100 or cheaper. I used to have CAL! but my HM5s are on an entirely different level. Note that HM5/FA-003s are more neutral than CAL! even although CAL! is already quite balanced, albeit with a slight V shape. But the bass quantity of them are similar, and HM5s are better in basically every way, unless you prefer smaller soundstage, slightly hasher highs, slightly recessed mids, not-as-deep bass, etc....

Where could I find a generic version of the HM5s? I might also just get the DJ100 right now and get an amp later, save me some money. The amp I saw used on amazon for $50 with an L9 is gone, so i might wait.

Quote:

I don't want too much bass. I have heard the Sony's have pretty strong bass. The V6s would sound better for me.

Quote:

It is a classic, but I think the Shure SRH 440 tops it in their niche. 

I am still considering the Shures, they seem very nice, and don't need an amp.

How does the Fiio E6 stand up against the E11? For the Koss Pro DJ100s is the extra $20-$30 worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back