$100-200 IEM similar to Etymotic HF5
Jan 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

viralcow

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

I need some help finding a replacement for my HF5- an iem I've grown really fond of in the past 2 years.

(mini rant)
But I'm replacing them because 1. they're getting old, and there's quite a bit of wear on the housing and cable; and 2. the eartips keep losing their shape after about two weeks of use and become unable to maintain a seal. I've tried buying replacements from etymotic and other aftermarket ones but they all end up getting worn out from use. Only the rubber-dome type tips seem to keep their shape but those don't offer the amazing isolation that the triple-flange or roll-up tips provide.

So I've spent over $80 in replacement eartips in the past two years, and I feel it's not economical to do this every few months- rather just get a new iem with silicon tips that don't lose their shape.

What other iem in the same price range provide the clarity and detail as the HF5? Also isolation is a must, though I understand if it's not the level of the HF5, which is just mind-bogglingly good.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 2
If you use the IEMs a lot, the tips are going to get worn - no matter what IEMs you buy. The best combination of long lasting and comfortable tips that I have found are the Shure black foam (black olives). I guess what I'm saying is that changing the 'phones might not have a huge effect on the longevity of the tips. I suppose you could try some IEMs with over-the-ear wires, like a Westone or Shure. Maybe that would put less weight on the tips? I doubt that would really have much of an effect one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back