$100-$200 Headphones..
Jun 17, 2005 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jackus

New Head-Fier
Hey there.

I'm looking for some headphones in the range of $100-$200 USD (call that £100). They need to be shipable to the UK. Any suggestions, I really am open to most things.. A couple of points though: I want to be able to run them from my iPod and iBook without amp, if that is possible, unless I can keep it in budget with an amp, and still make it sound better.. Also, I tend to steer clear of ear canal phones. I have some EX71's, and I have to take them out far too frequently for them to be worth it..

EDIT: If it helps, some kind of sound isolation would be nice too, as I am getting to used to my EX71's isolation.
smily_headphones1.gif
I like to light rock, alterntive and indie music.. Coldplay is my most played artist.
biggrin.gif

Any suggestions are apprechiated.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
Sony
biggrin.gif
SA1K/3K

I agree, since I'm now in the SA club, I've got mine and they are crazy good. It's either that, or Alessandro MS1's. They should also fit the budget.
For isolation, there's always canalphones, and I find ER6i's to rock as hard as anything I've heard.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi Jackus,

Hope we are not making you feeling too confused. So you are looking for a pair of headphones that is:

$100-200/closed/portable/good for alternative/light rock music

Sony's SA-1000 suggested by others seems to get good reviews recently, though some also find them a bit too bright.

Sennheiser's HD25-1 seemed to be fitting of your requirement except the price (at Headroom) is bordering on your budget without considering duty and shipping charges.

You might find some (including me) recommend Grado SR-60/Allesandro MS-1. Do a quick search and you will find many praises for it's efficiency to be driven by portable devices, good sound quality for the price. However, it's a open headphones. Sound leakage should be considered.

Canalphones are simply the best choice for portable use. You might want to rethink your criteria.

Just my two cents,
Overlunge

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi Jackus,

Hope we are not making you feeling too confused. So you are looking for a pair of headphones that is:

$100-200/closed/portable/good for alternative/light rock music

Sony's SA-1000 suggested by others seems to get good reviews recently, though some also find them a bit too bright.

Sennheiser's HD25-1 seemed to be fitting of your requirement except the price (at Headroom) is bordering on your budget without considering duty and shipping charges.

You might find some (including me) recommend Grado SR-60/Allesandro MS-1. Do a quick search and you will find many praises for it's efficiency to be driven by portable devices, good sound quality for the price. However, it's a open headphones. Sound leakage should be considered.

Canalphones are simply the best choice for portable use. You might want to rethink your criteria.

Just my two cents,
Overlunge

Thanks, thats very helpful. I can't find the Allesandro MS-1 on Meier Audio or HeadRoom though.. The same with the Sonys, quite hard to find in europe. I think I can just about stretch to the HD 25-1, would this be an overall better choice? Thanks for your input, very helpful.

EDIT: I have found the SA1000 for £94 + £6 shipping, and this is within my budget.

My real question now is:

HD 25-1, SA1000, or MS-1? If price is no issue, which one? Thanks very much all, this is becoming clearer..
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 15
As I understand it, you'll only find the MS-1 on Alessandro's website. A second on the AKG 271 here - I use them unamped out of my iPod and computer, and they're great. Short of canalphones, I don't think you'll find anything with better isolation in that price range.

Jun 19, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 15
Although it is definitely below your price range... the HD201 is a real good beater phone and it has pretty good isolation and is easily driven by the ipod and off a laptop.

You could always get two phones - an open one for home listening and the hd201 for portable listening.

Jun 19, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 15
When I was in your shoes I had 2 phones in mind: Sony 1700 and Beyer 250-80. I would recommend you read up on both since both could run directly from your sources. the 250-80 sounds like it would fit your musical choices, since they seem to excel with that kind of music. but the 1700s (which I own) are GREAT with rock, particularly guitar. (I did a brief review on them a while back).

The 250-80s could be purchased from Meier Audio.
The 1700s, however, will have to be purchased used since they were discontinued a while ago. A headfier i know has a pair he is considering selling, so shoot me a PM and we can talk about that further.

good luck refining your choices.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
When I was in your shoes I had 2 phones in mind: Sony 1700 and Beyer 250-80. I would recommend you read up on both since both could run directly from your sources. the 250-80 sounds like it would fit your musical choices, since they seem to excel with that kind of music. but the 1700s (which I own) are GREAT with rock, particularly guitar. (I did a brief review on them a while back).

The 250-80s could be purchased from Meier Audio.
The 1700s, however, will have to be purchased used since they were discontinued a while ago. A headfier i know has a pair he is considering selling, so shoot me a PM and we can talk about that further.

good luck refining your choices.
biggrin.gif

Thanks, PM sent. The 250-80's seem to have good review, but I am finding it a bit hard to find info on the 1700's. My problem is really too many choices.. all of the aforementioned I am sure will suit me fine.. If anyone who thinks that there is an obvious better choice of any of the above mentioned in this thread, please chime in..! Thanks.

-Jack

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 15
supposedly the audio technica ATH-A900s sound great without an amp. they prob arent that portable tho, so if you're looking for that, look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back