$100 - $200 Headphone Suggestions for PC & iPad
Jan 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

seag33k

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for suggestions on a pair of headphones in the $100 - $200 range approximately.  I have a pair of Klipsch Image One headphones that sound great, but aren't that comfortable for long periods of time.  I generally listen to music or watch movies on my computer or iPad.  At times I will hook them up to my receiver for a late night movie on the big screen.  Although I may get a headphone amp one day, I'd like them to sound great without one too.

Thanks!
Seag33k

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 13
What kind of music do you listen to?  What sound are you looking for?  More bass, vocals, treble, etc?

Also, you should try searching things up first before you start a new thread.  There are so many questions similar to yours.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
I am looking for suggestions on a pair of headphones in the $100 - $200 range approximately.  I have a pair of Klipsch Image One headphones that sound great, but aren't that comfortable for long periods of time.  I generally listen to music or watch movies on my computer or iPad.  At times I will hook them up to my receiver for a late night movie on the big screen.  Although I may get a headphone amp one day, I'd like them to sound great without one too.

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, usually sell for around $85

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 13
I haven't read or looked at the Gemini HSR-1000's.  This is the list I've come up with so far:

Shure SRH440
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Can anyone share their experience on these? I want to make sure that aren't too hard to drive on an iPad or Computer. Also, how comfortable are they?

Thank!

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I haven't read or looked at the Gemini HSR-1000's.  This is the list I've come up with so far:

Shure SRH440
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Shure SRH840

Can anyone share their experience on these? I want to make sure that aren't too hard to drive on an iPad or Computer. Also, how comfortable are they?

The Beyerdynamic COPs are very low impedance (like 16-Ohm?), so you should really want to use them plugged into a headphone output jack with a really low impedance.
The Fiio E07K USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier ($90) would work with just about any source.
It come with a very low impedance, like 0.3-Ohms.
I would think the E07K would work with whatever headphone you pick.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 13
Hello!

I happen to try all of your list except for the COP which haven't arrive at here yet[I doubt it]. The SRH-440 sounded veiled and lacking with bass when compared with your Klipsch Image One which I had try before too. Since your Klipsch is lacking mids, I think an upgrade with better mids would be nice. SRH-840 are a good buy where as ATH-M50, I find it has pretty similar sound but Klipsch sound better in some ways; eg, soundstage and bass quality. 

If comfort are your main reason for an upgrade, Shure and M50 has some bad padding which I don't really like. You might like to try using SRH-940 padding on SRH-840 but that will give out bass. 

Billson 
size]

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks for the great feedback. Any other recommendations would be great!

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Since you've heard both the Klipsch and Shure-840, do the Shure-840 have bass equal to the Klipsch? Will an iPad/computer run them without a headphone amp? I assume their much more comfortable compared to the Klipsch on ear design.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Since you've heard both the Klipsch and Shure-840, do the Shure-840 have bass equal to the Klipsch? Will an iPad/computer run them without a headphone amp? I assume their much more comfortable compared to the Klipsch on ear design.

No experience with the Klipsch, but the 840 does benefit from amping. They will sound ok unamped, but you're not getting their true potential. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Ok.  I think I've narrowed my search down (actually probably expanded it) to the following:

Sennheiser Momentum
Sennheiser HD-598
Shure SRH840

Most of my music is rock, country, or jazz.  I rarely listen to CD's so my source isn't always the best.  Most are ripped to MP3 or Spotify.  I like a good deep bass that is controlled with punch.  Since my source isn't ideal, I'd assume I wouldn't want anything with "bright" or forward treble.  I'll probably spring for a small amp eventually, but want something that sound pretty good without it on my iPad, Android, or computer.

Sorry for all the extra posts, but I use to be heavily invested in the Audiophile hobby many moons ago :)

Eric

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 13

Both are good without amp but does benefits. Depending on source. I paired the SRH-840 with my iNano 3rd & not much hisses detected with some source from what I had heard, it has some hisses. :)

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 13
HD598 has forward mids & highs but I would not consider it as bright. Sennheiser Momentum on the other hand has warm sound overall but it lacks soundstage. I choose MDR-1R over Momentum but K550 blow them all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back