100-190$ Audiophile Headphones
Nov 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SolidSnake22

New Head-Fier
Some points :

1. A closed back comfy headphones under $190/150EUR to buy online.
  2. Headphones that can handle Pink Floyd and Trance music perfectly.
  3. Natural sound quality and preferably a detachable cable.
  4. No use of an amp although I might buy a Xonar DG.
  5. I will be using the headphones on a PC for music and on TV for gaming.
  6. Gaming doesn't really matter to the sound quality. Music comes first.
  7. They need to have good build quality.

Which one is best for mainly Trance music and Pink Floyd?

Here are two songs: Please test them out and see which is the best headphones for these songs:

The vocals,the piano, the thump, the melody:
Dash Berlin - Man on the Run

Relaxing song with a nice thump and chillng vocals, variety of instruments:
Pink Floyd - Us and them 

Please tell me in detail, which headphones is the best for Trance music and rock/metal.

Thanks,
SolidSnake22

Sorry for posting twice but I changed the price, a bit higher now :)

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 6
I'll toss in an unusual recommendation, the AKG k540s are around your price point iirc.  They got me back into the audiophile game after many years.  They're not perfect but they have a very engaging sound in almost all genres imo and have a sound signature that's pretty unique to others I've heard.  Only problem is they don't have great build quality / detachable cable though the sound is most important, especially if they're going to be for home use only.  They are also very light and comfortable for long periods of time (I wore them on a 10hr plane ride from Russia to NY with no problems) though I wish the ear pads were made of a nicer material.

Since I got back into headphones I've gone from the 540s to the LCD2s and a number of ones in between.  I still have a special place in my heart for my 540s, I'll never part with them.  It may be nostalgia at this point, but I swear they still have some great little quality about them.  They don't have great reviews and they're pretty unknown, but I love something about them.

People will tell you to get Grados for rock, but I think these are much more comfortable and they have a pretty forward presentation that works for rock.  Nice crisp treble and decent bass though the mids are a bit lacking.  I'd take them over a entry level Grado any day.  Again, they are just a great allrounder imo but the bad thing is I doubt you find anyone else to corroborate my experience since they are pretty uncommon.  It's up to you in the end, read reviews and pick what you like, but that's my 2 cents.  I always love to share my experience with these cans when I get the chance.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I'll toss in an unusual recommendation, the AKG k540s are around your price point iirc.  They got me back into the audiophile game after many years.  They're not perfect but they have a very engaging sound in almost all genres imo and have a sound signature that's pretty unique to others I've heard.  Only problem is they don't have great build quality / detachable cable though the sound is most important, especially if they're going to be for home use only.  They are also very light and comfortable for long periods of time (I wore them on a 10hr plane ride from Russia to NY with no problems) though I wish the ear pads were made of a nicer material.

Since I got back into headphones I've gone from the 540s to the LCD2s and a number of ones in between.  I still have a special place in my heart for my 540s, I'll never part with them.  It may be nostalgia at this point, but I swear they still have some great little quality about them.  They don't have great reviews and they're pretty unknown, but I love something about them.

People will tell you to get Grados for rock, but I think these are much more comfortable and they have a pretty forward presentation that works for rock.  Nice crisp treble and decent bass though the mids are a bit lacking.  I'd take them over a entry level Grado any day.  Again, they are just a great allrounder imo but the bad thing is I doubt you find anyone else to corroborate my experience since they are pretty uncommon.  It's up to you in the end, read reviews and pick what you like, but that's my 2 cents.  I always love to share my experience with these cans when I get the chance.

I was looking for something more like the Shure SRH-440/840 or the Beyer 880 PRO. It looks a bit small for me althought the quality sounds good.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Jaycar Pro Monitor Headphones.

Closed back? Yup!
Neutral sounding? Let's just say that they're called the closed-back equivalent of the HD-600s for a reason.
No amp? Well...they benefit from one, but they can be driven from a phone or a tablet pretty well.
Gaming? Oh, they're a blast. I use them on my XBox all the time. They have a crazy-wide soundstage, especially for a closed can, so positional accuracy is top-notch.
Detachable cable? Yuppers! Replaceable ones are available at MP4Nation.com
Solid build quality? These things are built like TANKS.

and the kicker...

Under $190? Try $70 shipped from Australia.

But wait, how can a headphone so cheap be so good? Because it's completely identical to the $130 Brainwavs HM5 and the $199 Fischer Audio FA-003.

Huh? Yep. All of these headphones have the same drivers, the same carrying case, the same enclosure...but different brands and prices. They're all actually the Yoga CD880, Yoga being a company that manufacturers electronics to be bought by other companies and sold. Jaycar does it the cheapest, but if they're not available in your area, the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi (£73.51) is another version of the Yoga CD880, completely identical to all the rest of them.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

I think they are engaging for instrumental music, but vocal music? Hell no. I feel like there's just something wrong with their sound when listening to vocal music, maybe it's their thin sound?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd have a look at the Alessandro Ms1i's!!

I love my Ms1i's especially for electronic/trance/chillstep/ambient, to me they sound very engaging and very clear! (Yes, they are open back!)

I'd also check out the Samson 850's, semi closed back and are a steal for the price! Great bass and beautiful highs. They are very forward and can play most genre very well!

I'm not too sure that you'll get the sound you want from closed cans!

I had the jaycars a while ago and used for a good while but I started looking else where due to comfort and sound.

Good luck in your hunt, it's a very tricky path to take and all I can recommend is start off cheap then work your way up and soon as you have experienced the different sounds from different heaphones.

My last suggestion perhaps is look for the brand 'Superlux', they have a few closed cans and at a great price!!

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back