10 photographs that changed the world
Apr 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent photographs. Some well known, while other I can not remember ever seeing before.

Chang'an Avenue, Beijing, China - 1989.

Ha... I meant where was it on the list

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha... I meant where was it on the list

Aha. That certainly did not come clear..

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 62
Those are indeed great photo's but I am not sure I would have chosen all of them. National Geographic has such great photos that I get lost in. I was in Vietnam for 3 years and have seen photo's that would rival that one. I also at one time had one of the original photo's from the US Army archive in black and white of Gen Patton taking a pee in the river as his aides stod beside him looking away. It was supposedly a picture of him peeing in the river as the Russian Tanks were going over a bridge.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are indeed great photo's but I am not sure I would have chosen all of them. National Geographic has such great photos that I get lost in.

Oh good point! This is about as famous as they come:

afghan-girl-national-geographic-photos-that-change.jpg

Although I guess a photo that is famous isn't necessarily "world-changing"

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Although I guess a photo that is famous isn't necessarily "world-changing"

Same argument can be made for a lot of photos on the list, really. The execution photo probably helped the anti-war movement, but I'm not certain the Albert Einstein did much to change events rather than being just iconic.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Where was this one?

6a00d8341bfae553ef011570b4d319970b-800wi

It did not changed anything. lol

[politics]
China still has the same government and worst of all, its youth are extremely nationalistic and pro government.[/politics]

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 62
FYI, the June 4th protests actually had quite rather big shockwave effects on the Hong Kong political scene. But commenting on that would really be pushing it.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 62
Alright, this is why i hate top 10's or Top #. There's always going to some guy stating where this? where's that? Sorry if they missed it, don't take it personally. Christ.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, this is why i hate top 10's or Top #. There's always going to some guy stating where this? where's that? Sorry if they missed it, don't take it personally. Christ.

it allows for discussion. did you want everyone to just nod and say cool read?

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 62
Awesome pictures. They should have dumped Einstein though, much as I like it. And several seemed to focus more on "changed photography" rather than "changed the world", like the Adams and Halsman ones.

And more exposure of the rest of the world would be nice. I'm glad, though, that what American-centric ones were included can speak for the greater world as a whole, Gettysburg and V-J Day included.

I like Top X lists. They give me something to nod and groan about
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it allows for discussion. did you want everyone to just nod and say cool read?

There's plenty of other crafty things to say rather than google a photo and look for replies. I doubt the article was made to show the world that these are definitely the top 10, PERIOD. Everyone seems to miss the point that it was made for us to appreciate those photo's, not suddenly think, "oh this photo was more powerful" i'm going to be sensitive now because they miss it. Just show a little respect, thats all.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

There's plenty of other crafty things to say rather than google a photo and look for replies. I doubt the article was made to show the world that these are definitely the top 10, PERIOD. Everyone seems to miss the point that it was made for us to appreciate those photo's, not suddenly think, "oh this photo was more powerful" i'm going to be sensitive now because they miss it. Just show a little respect, thats all.

Shutup I hate you

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

I was going to be annoyed at your statement, since I don't agree at all with 'changed the world,' but then I realized I wasn't paying enough attention to the photos in the list. It's wierd.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #30 of 62
Thanks for posting this Spareribs. I in no way intended to belittle your post at all. These are just the top 10 from someone else's vantage point and they are good photo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back