10 Biggest Lies in Audio
Dec 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #46 of 278
Regarding the CD Treatment Lie, I once correctly identified 9 times out of 10 which CD had the Rainbow Foil applied to it. Don't ask me to do it again though. My ears aren't what they used to be.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #47 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the CD Treatment Lie, I once correctly identified 9 times out of 10 which CD had the Rainbow Foil applied to it. Don't ask me to do it again though. My ears aren't what they used to be.

I'd call it a fluke. Who was in control of the test? There's no way this helped unless it was resolving scratches in the CD, and even then, there's no subtle differences for a CD player to pickup on a CD, it's either a 0 or a 1. Cleaning your CD's helps, sure, but fancy treatments, no way.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #48 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol... number 10 on this is saying no one hears better than anyone else. it's just untrue in any forum, especially an audio forum! what about hearing testing in grade school? some did better and some did worse. simple.

If you read the section you'd see that he conceded people with hearing impairments are excluded... It's similar to saying anyone with 20/20 vision can see a syntactical mistake in code but only a programmer can easily point it out. The idea behind that section was that their senses are not more attuned, they just know what to listen for.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #49 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd call it a fluke. Who was in control of the test? There's no way this helped unless it was resolving scratches in the CD, and even then, there's no subtle differences for a CD player to pickup on a CD, it's either a 0 or a 1. Cleaning your CD's helps, sure, but fancy treatments, no way.

Even cheap optical drives use the error correction built in to the medium. Unless there is severe physical damage to the disc, spraying it with magic cleaner or attaching a piece of foil to it will not improve sound. If anything, it'll increase the chance of damaging your equipment because the CD's weight will no longer be balanced while spinning at unholy speeds.

If you read the website which is selling these "Rainbow strips," it's really shifty in its explanation (i.e. no hard evidences is cited, it's mostly all about "perceiving" the sound, aka placebo effect).

So I quoted the wrong text, I'm agreeing with the quote here I guess.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #51 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it IS the responsibility of a consumer to do his/her research.

the buyer has all the control, he can leave anytime...first rule of business.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #52 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the buyer has all the control, he can leave anytime...first rule of business.

Of course, but IMO, it's still criminal.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #54 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Top 10 lies, you may also like this one,

http://harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/T...ocuments/White Papers/AudioScience.pdf

It's a different kind of paper, but with some surprises also...

404 not found.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #55 of 278
http://harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/T...dioScience.pdf

I'm very fund of Logic7/David Griesinger(its inventor), I'll read it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #56 of 278
Quote:

I'd call it a fluke.

Call it what you wish but I know what my ears heard.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #57 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call it what you wish but I know what my ears heard.

You heard errors then. That's like suggesting that smearing stuff on a tape is going to improve playback. All that stuff could possible do is get in the way of the medium you're trying to read from, or unbalance it.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #58 of 278
A fine article.

Let's just, for a second, assume that everything in it is true.

Does this invalidate audiophilia? Or does it merely underscore that the hobby is more or less about the satisfaction that comes from listening critically to beloved passages, leading to a confirmation bias?

Dropping two grand on a power conditioner for no theoretical benefit seems pretty ridiculous to some, but so would dropping two grand on a cruise where you never leave the cabin. A journey is not a commodity; how you enjoy it defines its value. And if, at the end of your journey, you arrive at port with a souvenir in the form of a Jolida CD player with an all-tube gain stage, all the better.

People ask me what's the sonic purpose for the wooden resonance chambers on the RS-2s. I say they do important three things. First, their opulence makes me smile, giving me a positive point of view whenever I listen. Second, they look awesome, encouraging me to listen more. Third, they make people ask that question, prompting me to share the music. Whatever they may do for the sound, these aspects are more important.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #59 of 278
Quote:

You heard errors then. That's like suggesting that smearing stuff on a tape is going to improve playback. All that stuff could possible do is get in the way of the medium you're trying to read from, or unbalance it.

Please don't tell me what I heard.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #60 of 278
Jena Labs presents Esoteric 3D-X

this company also sells wire that turns an HFI780 into an Edition9, and "JENA Contact enhancement fluid" : Powercord Kits

Quote:

The effects of Esoteric 3D-X are so pronounced that a number of test listeners openly expressed skepticism, suggesting we had actually adjusted the volume upwards or switched discs for the A/B comparisons!

DVDs

Esoteric 3D-X is very effective on DVDs, DVD-As, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, video CDs, and LaserDiscs®.
Some things you'll notice:

Blacker blacks
More saturated colors
Dramatically reduced “noise”
Significantly improved sound

it even works on data discs, AHMAGAD I want it
eek.gif

but it screws up the colorimetry of movies, that can't be good
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back