10/29/02 = Good New Music Day!
Oct 30, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Some interesting stuff there. How do you like the Ayler? What label is the Anthony Davis on? He's great on David Murray's "Home".

Anthony Davis is on Gramavision.

The Ayler's amazing, it's one of the albums that defined the genre. For years I've been listening to a cassette off a pretty beat borrowed LP that I made when it was out of print and impossible to find.

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Anthony Davis is on Gramavision.

The Ayler's amazing, it's one of the albums that defined the genre. For years I've been listening to a cassette off a pretty beat borrowed LP that I made when it was out of print and impossible to find.

Davis's stuff on Gramavision is really good. How's the one you picked up?

Ayler is always amazing. . . .

Oct 31, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #20 of 31
The new Sigur Ros is awesome, I got it last saturday.

stymie miasma, all godspeed albums are good except the new one. If you like set fire to flames and GSYBE! you should also check out A Silver Mount Zion, another side-project of GSYBE! members.

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
The new Sigur Ros is awesome, I got it last saturday.

stymie miasma, all godspeed albums are good except the new one. If you like set fire to flames and GSYBE! you should also check out A Silver Mount Zion, another side-project of GSYBE! members.

Ah hah! Thanks for the tips wab
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Hey FCJ

Nice Marantz!

Thanks. The "A Love Supreme" remaster sounds really good through it.

The other Anthony Davis record that I was thinking of is called "Episteme." It's also on Gramavision. My favorite piece is "Wayang No. 2 (Shadowdance)." Great stuff.

Nov 3, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 31
Thanks to the folks at Headfi (especially Dusty, the resident Sigur Ros promoter
tongue.gif
), I picked up the latest 2 Sigur Ros albums. It's amazing how emotive a few distorted slowly played notes on a guitar can be. It was a bonus to find out that track 4 on () was already a familiar tune. I don't believe it appears on the OST for the film it appears in though - curious. I'm a big fan of shoegazing, so this album was a comfortable fit for my tastes. There's a bit of melancholy on these albums that sets them apart from my favorite early nineties English bands. I DO think that this style will remain a great escape for artists from the mainstream alternative
tongue.gif
style of pop, as I'm sure the enigmatic character of these bands will hinder their assimilation into top 40 music, especially with sparsely sung 10 minute epics.

One gripe I have with the new album is in the way you have to get its bonus features. In the past, I could open up the bonus features contained on the cd, but with this one you have to download them along with some invasive software. I'm not saying that the software is insidious, but well maybe I am. Here's what I mean. You go to the official Sigur-Ros.com website and go to bonus materials. You verify that you've bought the album by installing a program that checks that you've bought the cd. I don't mind being checked for the cd, but I wonder if the software will be activated on me in the future to restrict my downloading privileges - it is an anti-piracy tool afterall. I also don't like to be forced into upgrading my M$ Media Player 'security features'; it sends your hardware profile to Micro$oft just like when you register your Windoze, or Office. I suppose my wmf files will be rendered useless when I upgrade my processor unless I agree to a new license agreement that'll cover Bill Gates' greedy draconian ass. Now my media player is a more sluggish resource hog just like the other M$ upgrades I've been forced into this year(IE 6, Office XP). I've also noticed that Windoze Media Player tries to access the net whenever I play something. My final whine about the downloading thing is that since I have dial-up, the media - which will have to be downloaded every time you want to view it and therefore is never really yours - a/v quality is poor compared to an mpeg on a cd. Sigh.

It's a good album though
rolleyes.gif

P.S. I really have been forced into MS upgrades - my school computer tools won't work without them .

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #26 of 31
Here's a rehash of a post I made on another board:

Bile - Demonic Electronic (guitar industrial)

HangedUp - Kicker in Tow -- one of the many GYBE! side projects -- viola and percussion/drums, very cool.

Lacuna Coil - Comalies -- supposed to be more of the same, which is good for me. (Got this one since then -- it is, and it is.)

Simian - We Are Your Friends -- I forget whether I liked their first one or not, seem to remember they fell in the Notwist, et al vein. Kind of glitch-pop.

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk -- loosely based on a sojourn taken after 9/11. (Since got this one -- it's excellent. There's even a particularly nice headphone moment.)

Paradise Lost - Symbol of Life -- dark, metal band gone poppy recently, curious to hear their latest.

Phish have put out a couple more volumes in their live series, and these include the infamous Halloween shows, in which they play entire albums, Talking Heads' Remain in Light (Vol. 15), The Who's Quadrophenia (Vol. 14), The Beatles' White Album (Vol. 13), and The Velvet Underground, Loaded (Vol. 16). Apparently they still haven't got the rights to The Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd, yet.

Negativland - Deathsentences of the Polished & Structurally Weak -- I have no idea what this is like, but I'm a fan of the band, and the packaging is pretty cool...let's say, "different".

Oh, and you forgot Christina Aguilera. I do believe several of the recent crop of young, female popsters are trying to "out-tramp" each other. Ah, it's a good time to be young and male.

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Here's a rehash of a post I made on another board:

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk -- loosely based on a sojourn taken after 9/11. (Since got this one -- it's excellent. There's even a particularly nice headphone moment.)

Well, I just bought myself this album yesterday and the whole CD is full of wonderful listening. Just curious, what exactly, and where would I find this wonderful headphone moment that you speak of?

Nov 4, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 31
Dusty, I'm not sure, but judging by your recent posts, you seem to be telling us that GYBE might be good
evil_smiley.gif
. I'll have to give these guys a look too - especially with the Canadian connection. I used to see ads for these guys in the local venue scene; I wonder what level they're at now.

FYI, the 2 Sigur Ros bonus live tracks are nice intimate affair jobs. There's a lot of string presence, but otherwise not as much a sonic wash as on their albums - which are great to listen to front-to-back.

Nov 6, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #29 of 31
Woohoo, I've got enough new music to last me months.
purchases within last couple of days:

Nirvana - Best of
Nirvana - From The Muddy Banks...
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Sigur Ros - ()
U2 - Best of 1990 - 2000 (with b-sides, promo dvd)<- only $20Cdn

U2 first impressions:

The U2 set is alright. The album has a disco-y feel to it. The remixes on the b-sides are familiar, but not necessarily good (I still think remixes are tawdry gimmicks).

Highlights - for me it's the stuff from Achtung Baby! Since there's only 3 tracks out of 15 from it, it doesn't feel the greatest. The dvd holds 20 minutes of montages, and 2 whole videos. I think I'll buy the dvd that it advertises if it contains an unbastardized version of Lemon on it,

Curmudgeonly George, the curmudeonly little lemur.

edit:

Further listening to the u2 cds has tamed my opinion of it. It's a pretty cohesive compilation after all. The production is its most outstanding quality (Eno, Lanois, Flood = all star team). The music sounds so good. This set is more poppy than the 80's best of/b-sides, but in a good way. The band is able to focus on the drums and melodies rather than the guitar this last decade. I still hate the version of Lemon on this release, but the remix of Electrical Storm is well done.

Fickly yours,

zoboo.

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
Well, I just bought myself this album yesterday and the whole CD is full of wonderful listening. Just curious, what exactly, and where would I find this wonderful headphone moment that you speak of?

A-ha! I thought I saw this post. I posted the answer in the "Just got Scarlet's Walk" thread.

PS to zoboomofo -- Yesh, I totally dig GYBE!. They are awesome, and they are supposed to be stupendous live, you shoulda seen them. Something like 12 people on stage making a glorious majestic cacophony. I am so looking forward to the new album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back