10/29/02 = Good New Music Day!
Oct 29, 2002 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
let's see what a hundred bucks got me at the local *independent* cd store during lunch hour:

tori amos - scarlet's walk
sigur ros - ( )
nirvana - s/t (greatest hits)
david bowie - best of bowie (2cd)
luna - close cover before striking
the hives - veni vidi vicious

okay, so they're probably not all new but most of them are. i know the rest of the day will be easy when i have so much new good music to listen to.. ahh, how i love tori's voice. i also got a small sampler of porcupine tree, a band that i've been interested in since they were mentioned on this forum frequently. gotta love the indie stores.

i know dark angel and a few others were planning on picking up the new bowie double cd, anybody else pick any of these up today?

p.s. if anybody says they're gonna download them when they get home, i'll kill you.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 31
I will mention I got the new Nirvana at lunch, $10.99 at Best Buy.
Here is the big news, remastered by:
Bob Ludwig

How good can grunge sound, get this to find out.

I got the Hives V V V already (swedes doing 60's garage music)

Mr Bowie will not get my money this time, will stick with 2CD "Singles" set I picked up several years ago......less emphasis on newer songs.

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
p.s. if anybody says they're gonna download them when they get home, I'll kill you.
biggrin.gif

You go, grinch!.....
wink.gif

I'll definitely pick up the Bowie and Nirvana...

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 31
Originally posted by DarkAngel
I will mention I got the new Nirvana at lunch, $10.99 at Best Buy.
Here is the big news, remastered by:
Bob Ludwig
i was hoping for this. i didn't really look through the booklet too closely yet, but it's still great to hear.

Quote:

I got the Hives V V V already (swedes doing 60's garage music)

Mr Bowie will not get my money this time, will stick with 2CD "Singles" set I picked up several years ago......less emphasis on newer songs.

i have been wanting to get the hives cd for a while and finally i did.
smily_headphones1.gif

ah, now i remember. sorry to mention you falsely. i have the old "changesbowie" album that has been out of print since like 1988, so i was hoping for a bit of an upgrade in quailty and music. the second cd looks like it has some guests and stuff -- songs he did with queen and such -- so it should be interesting.

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 31
I went to the library during lunch today. Here's what I got for $0.00 :

Sun Ra & Omniverse Arkestra, Destination Unknown
Laura Nyro, Best of
Hendrix, Live at Fillmore East remastered
Anthony Davis, Ghost Factory
Regina Carter, Rythms of the Heart
Ornette Coleman, New York is Now
Albert Ayler & Don Cherry, Vibrations

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 31
stereolab: abc music the radio 1 sessions / is out today as well. i'll also check out the nirvana and sigor ros cd's too.

Oct 29, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 31
Must buy that new Sigur Ros album..ordered the following CDs yesterday:

From 101cd.com (great place to buy albums not widely available in North America),

- Gemma Hayes, "Night on My Side"
- Kathryn Williams "Old Low Light"
- Nada Surf "Let Go" (yes, an American band whose great new album has been released in Europe first)..

And from the Rocketgirl Records' website,

- Byrne "Slowly and Gloriously"

Wasif.

Oct 29, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 31
i'm now listening to stereolab: abc music, and it is freakin' awesome. it has stripped-down versions of ALL stereolab's best tunes on 2 cd's, and sounds like the greatest live perforance they've ever done. this is audio nirvana for a groopie like me.
biggrin.gif
abc music is HIGHLY recommended, and if you are a 'lab fan it is a must have!

(the only downer was they didn't have it on vinyl. still, these cd's sound pretty great.)

Oct 29, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie

I use the library primarily to audition new music that I am unfamiliar with and classical before I invest. It is a great resource. The Cd's get battered with time, however.

I made friends with a librarian and she keeps her eye open for things I might like and emails me. Sometimes the new Cd's have been mysteriously set aside and I am able to be the first patron to hear them.

Grinch -- I too love Tori's voice and never need to pre-listen her work. Happy listening for quite a while.

Oct 30, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 31
i picked up the new deep purple boxed set today[listen learn read on]so far i'd say it's better than the rhino set that was released a few years ago[this set's 6 discs it spans the years 68-76]the only negative is it's only available as an import and it's quite expensive

Oct 30, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie

Sun Ra & Omniverse Arkestra, Destination Unknown
Laura Nyro, Best of
Hendrix, Live at Fillmore East remastered
Anthony Davis, Ghost Factory
Regina Carter, Rythms of the Heart
Ornette Coleman, New York is Now
Albert Ayler & Don Cherry, Vibrations

Some interesting stuff there. How do you like the Ayler? What label is the Anthony Davis on? He's great on David Murray's "Home".

Today I picked up the Deluxe 2-Cd set of "A Love Supreme." I've only listened to the first Cd, which is another remaster of the original. Although, not quite--the liner notes say that all previous digital versions came from an inferior 1971 second generation master, while this version came from a "clean" 1965 master.

I did notice some differences, with Elvin Jones's drums being the biggest beneficiary of the '65 remaster. Disk 2 should be interesting--it contains the only live version ever of "ALS."

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 31
Two CDs that I purchased, 27.10.02

310 "After All" (Leaf)

Wow...I really enjoyed the double album/compilation of their earlier works "Aug 56" and "Snorklehouse" (entitled "Downtown and Brooklyn Only"), but this one seems even better. A lot more beat driven than "Downtown..." but still has an amazing collage of 'found sounds' that makes for great headphone listening.

Set Fire to Flames "Sings Reign Rebuilder"

Picked this one up after seeing it mentioned on this board. The following is taken from their website:
http://www.alien8recordings.com/alien30.php3

set fire to flames are a collective of thirteen musicians from the musical community of Montreal. Brooding and beautiful, haunted and haunting, sings reign rebuilder is so stunningly / lovingly played and skillfully assembled, infused throughout with a massive sense of slow-burning tension and periods of weighty, rousing release.

Initially the idea was to gather a group of folks together in a members montreal apartment and record as much as they could over a five day period. As set fire to flames explains, "...[we wanted] to conduct the whole five day recording session like a series of experiments--- to get lost in the sound as it was actually happening---to make the whole recording an exploded intense event---to push tolerance levels and limitations with a group of people sonically---to become shut-ins---to operate on no sleep/confinement/ intoxication---some of us were interested in seeing what would actually happen if we attempted to record improvised drones and textures under those conditions---and what impact that might have on yr. head---how individual/collective tension would play out---and what the end result would sound like---so a lot of experimentation with tolerance, repetition and duration---drones..."

"And so these set fire to flames recordings happened---we piled all of the gear into the first floor (kitchen/living room) of this old, falling down apartment in montreal (the place has a crazy history to it...built in 1878...used to be a 10¢ shoe shine parlour and a brothel in the forties)--- the control/mixing room was in a bedroom on the second floor (up a rickety wooden staircase)---you can hear the house all over the recording---(the staircase/ groaning floorboards/creaking chairs/traffic and police cars outside/men coming out of the mosque downstairs)--- all of these sounds became an important part of the final recording..."

"Five days of continuous recording netted us roughly twelve hours of raw sound---all of it was hacked apart and later rebuilt---and the final document of that five day period (which was magic and the ****ing house was levitating.....) now makes up 'sings reign rebuilder'---the record is about 60% improvised and 40% composed---the five-day recording stint turned into something more than originally intended---it wasn't just thirteen people droning aimlessly to infinity---things worked out somehow and we got lucky..."

Unfortunately, track 3 had a big scratch in it, so I am waiting for a replacement. What I did hear however is, as they describe, very haunting - sucks you in emotionally a la Sigur Ros. Now I need to go out and grab some godspeed you black emperor albums - any recommendations on where to start??

Oh yeah...had a brief listen to the new Sigur Ros - crappy headphones and noisey store, but I wasn't that wowed - looking forward to the preliminary reports guys!

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
10/29/02 = Good New Music Day!
let's see what a hundred bucks got me at the local *independent* cd store during lunch hour:

. . . tori amos - scarlet's walk . . .

i just picked this one up tonight (it was just released today). i'm not a huge tori fan but i am impressed with this new CD. scarlet's walk is very good. very, very good. it has 18 songs and clocks in at 74+ minutes. scarlet's walk reminds me of the new beck album in many ways: very consistent songs but all about the same tempo. on first listen, scarlet's walk seems like one 74 minute song. not necessarily a bad thing because i like it.

but the sound quality is somewhat disappointing. the only other tori CD i have is boys for pele. that CD sounds significantly better than scarlet's walk. the new CD sounds very congested with very little info at the extremes. in essence, very midrangy. not very dynamic either. on the other hand, it's not fatiguing
tongue.gif

all in all, i highly recommend scarlet's walk.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, she's going to be on letterman tonight (approx. 45 minuets from now!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back