1 IEM + 2 Open headphone + 1 Closed (OR) 1 Amazing headphone
Jan 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #31 of 45
I'd definitely go for the one (and then another, and another), as I personally don't like most of what you list in the combo, with the exception of the grados. why not one hi quality IEM and one hi quality full-size? that's where I'm hoping to end up...

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #32 of 45
I'm in the one of each camp
tongue.gif

Its all part of a journey. Without flavouring along the way, how is one to appreciate when they have reached the end of the journey?

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #34 of 45
I would vote for quality over quantity

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #36 of 45
As i won't have time to try them all, I prefer to have one "big ass" pair of headphones.

However i have a pair of IEMs and a pair of open headphones.

Open for studying in my room, so if someone calls, knocks the door etc I can listen to it, and IEMs to read at night and before I sleep.

If I had known about open headphones being more comfortable with my small and sensitive ears than IEMs I would have just bought big ass cans

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you rather:

Get an MDR-V6 ($75 CLOSED) + Shure SCL4 ($100 IEM) + KSC75 ($15 OPEN Portable) + Grado SR60 ($69 OPEN) ~ $260

or go for one monster

like the Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K701 or Denon D2000 ~ $260

?

I think it would very much depend on your intended use. I personally cant wear IEMs for more than an hour or two before i need a break and a Q-Tip to cure the itch they cause. So if you're looking for something to wear on the go to someplace and would like to continue to wear it once you arrive at your destination, i wouldnt get an IEM. Unless of course you plan on carrying a more comfortable set of headphones with you.

If i were you i'd probably just get a nice portable, like the ATH-ESW9 and be done with it. That way you've got a nice comfy closed phone for portable use that you can continue to wear at, for example, the office, AND something for home use.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #42 of 45
One Can to rule them all...at least till the upgraditis bug bites...

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #43 of 45
I'm in the "different cans for different contexts" camp. I would love a pair of K701s, but not to walk around in. So if I could either have a few cheaper headphones v. one supremo one, I'd take the former. But thankfully, I'll hopefully be able to have a few supremo ones... Or one supremo one, and a few other good ones.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #44 of 45
Buy a decent open can for about $200 for at home. Then with the leftover $60 get an affordable dynamic based IEM or canal phone like the Denon C700.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #45 of 45
if you had more money to spend I would recommend getting an IEM and a fullsize; but since you only have enough money to get something quality of one IMO you should just go for a really nice fullsize or IEM. then later on you can get yourself a nice set of the other sort. I actually dont see the point of buying a whole lot of mediocre headphones and not getting great performance out of any of them. I would rather get a nice set of IEM's that really sound good and they can do double duty until you get enough money together for a good set of full-size and a nice amp to drive them. IEM's will generally sound good out of most sources and are more flexible. then later when you have a yearning for larger soundstage etc get the big'ns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back