1/9/16 Atlanta meet impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2016 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

fjrabon

Headphoneus Supremus
dump any notes, pictures, banter, etc here!

Edit just realized I wrote 2015 in the title originally, lol.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 34
Just got home from the meet. Enjoyed it a ton. Those SR-009s -- wow that was magical. Heard a lot of other great stuff, and finally got to listen to a few Audeze and some really nice amps (in particular the Torpedo series).

All in all it gave me a few ideas for the future.

Thanks @fjrabon for putting it together!

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 34
Double thanks to fjrabon for organizing this meet!

Purk's gear - as always - was the best.

I guess I was a bit shamed in that none of my gear was up to the standard of the Torpedo III.  I have a lot of clearing out and upgrading to do.
wink.gif

Thanks to John Morrison, too.  It sounds like we are preparing to hold a very special meet in late May (CanLanta 2016).

P.S. Looking forward to some of those pics that a couple of you took!

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 34
Thanks Frank for hosting the meet.  As always, I had a great time meeting and talking to everyone.  I have to give TomB a thumb up for his superb sounding Torpedo III.  Anyone who is looking for a great sounding amp for the HD-800 classic should look no further than the Torpedo III.  I had the GS-X MKII in the past and this amp may suit the HD800 better.  Beautiful sound really!

Tomb...I hope you will build your very own L2 soon.

Thanks John Morrison for starting up the legwork on the big meet coming up in May.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 34
Had a blast. Looking forward to canlanta for sure. But also looking forward to making these a more regular occurrence. This mini-meet ended up having quite an amazing gear list and a solid 12-15 people.

Hung out with Purk for about an hour after it ended and really enjoyed picking his brain and hearing his thoughts.

Will write up a bit more tomorrow. But some real quick stuff:

Purk's SR009 setup is the best I've ever heard. I really wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference between the sr009 and the sr007, but it was definitely there. The 009's transparency and speed was just jaw dropping.
I LOVED the iFi retro 50. When I get around to putting together a comprehensive home system I'll definitely be hitting up headphone audiophile for one of those.
I'm philosophically opposed to players outside of phones, but the Q1PR sounded amazing.
The HE400i balanced out of the liquid carbon is quite the headphone. Honestly it was my third favorite after Purk's 009 system and his balanced HE1000. The 400i balanced was actually decently close to the HE1000 single ended, IMHO.
The Mojo is such a little wonder. Looking forward to spending a week or so with it.
The TorpedoIII was what it's cracked up to be. its definitely a $2500 amp for about half the price.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 34
had hoped to get more pictures, but between hosting duties and doing my best to listen to all the gear combos I was interested in, didn't get a whole lot.  

Joe Saxon's iFi Retro 50 and audeze setups that was amongst my favorites.  I think I've found my ultimate all-in-one home solution.  Serious, a brilliant head amp, stereo amp (also has matching speakers, bluetooth streaming, phono pre.  And it also manages to be drop dead gorgeous.

@tomb's setup.  The TorpedoIII was quite the joy to listen to.  I literally tried to listen to grab some time with it almost the entire meet, but it was one of the more heavily monopolized stations (*cough* Purk and his HD800 *cough*)

Joe listening to @purk's SR009 setup.  Got to listen to this for about 20-30 minutes (and the SR007) after the meet had mostly wound up and it was a bit quieter, and yes, it is that much better than everything you've ever heard.  Breathtaking transparency, speed and imaging without compromising on bass (obviously doesn't have the impact as maybe a top end planar, but quantity is spot on perfect, and quality bass is jaw dropping).  

After hearing what the HE400i is capable of when balanced out of a Liquid Carbon fed by a GuMBy, yes, that's maybe the move for a home system, at least as far as amp + cable goes.  I continue to be amazed by this headphone and how versatile it is and how well it scales.  People always talk about the HD650 scaling factor, and i think the HE400i has every bit the scaling factor, but it also sounds better without all that too.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 34
Finally got a chance to digest my notes.  So, I will post a few more thoughts and a few more pictures (Lee posted some on facebook and wanted me to post them here)

I think the space ended up working really well.  We weren't really short on space or electricity all.  It probably could have accommodated another 3-4 rigs.  

A major impression I came away from the event with is something I had been thinking about recently: the ***incredible*** place we are in regards to small amp/dac setups.  When I first got into headphones in the early/mid 2000s, your gear was crap unless your amp weighed at least 40 pounds.  The first round of quality DACs were that big too.  And while there is still some incredible big gear out there, especially for e-stats, the quality we are today getting from things like the Schiit M2U stack, Chord Mojo, Grace m9XX, Liquid Carbon, Bakoon, etc is stupefying.  These setups being this good were just completely unthinkable 5 years ago.  And that really makes these types of events great, because in the past they were really a competition of who was willing to haul the most gear around.  Now there are a lot of options at an event like this.

My second impression was how shocked I was at the difference between the SR007 and SR009.  I put the 007 on and I was wowed.  It was nice, smooth, surprisingly warm, detailed.  Then I put to 009 on, and was completely blown away.  Calling it neutral is almost downplaying it.  It was beyond neutral, it was 100% natural.  The only experience I've had that rivaled it was good magnoplanar speakers in a well treated room.  Occasionally I can close my eyes, and after a few minutes and some good scotch, on a great pair of headphones, well amped and sourced, they drift away.  With the SR009 this happened instantaneously as soon as I closed my eyes.  I really want to extend a thank you to Purk for letting me have some time with them after the meet had wound down.  

Really regret not getting a chance to hear an HD800 through Tom's torpedos.  The 12AY7 model really sounded great on my HE400i.  Also I gotta make sure I bring @tomb some more power cables next time :wink: 

It's so glad to have a guy like Joe being local, as the demo units he was able to bring, I think, really took the meet to the next level listening option wise.

The quality of attendants personally were off the chart as well, just really a great group.  I was definitely torn any number of times between enjoying conversation and trying to get more listening in.  I think most of the time I opted for conversation, and didn't regret it at all.

If I had a single regret, or more accurately, thing I would change, I want to get some more "newbies" to the meet next time.  Everybody at this meet was very experienced, save for one of my employees, who just happened to walk in.  He was totally blown away, and I think it'd be cool if we could get a few more people who are newer, or haven't had a chance to experience some of the gear we are fortunate to have.

I think there is a very great core group that we can do these things much more regularly than we have in the past, and I really enjoyed putting this one together, so I have no problem taking the lead on some of these, and maybe even occasionally doing slightly less formal versions at somebody's house. 

Thanks again to all who came!  And we definitely missed those who couldn't make it, but certainly look forward to the next meet.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 34
Here are pictures taken by Lee:

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 34

Finally got a chance to digest my notes.  So, I will post a few more thoughts and a few more pictures (Lee posted some on facebook and wanted me to post them here)

I think the space ended up working really well.  We weren't really short on space or electricity all.  It probably could have accommodated another 3-4 rigs.  

A major impression I came away from the event with is something I had been thinking about recently: the ***incredible*** place we are in regards to small amp/dac setups.  When I first got into headphones in the early/mid 2000s, your gear was crap unless your amp weighed at least 40 pounds.  The first round of quality DACs were that big too.  And while there is still some incredible big gear out there, especially for e-stats, the quality we are today getting from things like the Schiit M2U stack, Chord Mojo, Grace m9XX, Liquid Carbon, Bakoon, etc is stupefying.  These setups being this good were just completely unthinkable 5 years ago.  And that really makes these types of events great, because in the past they were really a competition of who was willing to haul the most gear around.  Now there are a lot of options at an event like this.

My second impression was how shocked I was at the difference between the SR007 and SR009.  I put the 007 on and I was wowed.  It was nice, smooth, surprisingly warm, detailed.  Then I put to 009 on, and was completely blown away.  Calling it neutral is almost downplaying it.  It was beyond neutral, it was 100% natural.  The only experience I've had that rivaled it was good magnoplanar speakers in a well treated room.  Occasionally I can close my eyes, and after a few minutes and some good scotch, on a great pair of headphones, well amped and sourced, they drift away.  With the SR009 this happened instantaneously as soon as I closed my eyes.  I really want to extend a thank you to Purk for letting me have some time with them after the meet had wound down.  

Really regret not getting a chance to hear an HD800 through Tom's torpedos.  The 12AY7 model really sounded great on my HE400i.  Also I gotta make sure I bring @tomb some more power cables next time :wink: 

It's so glad to have a guy like Joe being local, as the demo units he was able to bring, I think, really took the meet to the next level listening option wise.

The quality of attendants personally were off the chart as well, just really a great group.  I was definitely torn any number of times between enjoying conversation and trying to get more listening in.  I think most of the time I opted for conversation, and didn't regret it at all.

If I had a single regret, or more accurately, thing I would change, I want to get some more "newbies" to the meet next time.  Everybody at this meet was very experienced, save for one of my employees, who just happened to walk in.  He was totally blown away, and I think it'd be cool if we could get a few more people who are newer, or haven't had a chance to experience some of the gear we are fortunate to have.

I think there is a very great core group that we can do these things much more regularly than we have in the past, and I really enjoyed putting this one together, so I have no problem taking the lead on some of these, and maybe even occasionally doing slightly less formal versions at somebody's house. 

Thanks again to all who came!  And we definitely missed those who couldn't make it, but certainly look forward to the next meet.

My apology Frank.  I thought all you wanted to do was sampling the Torpedo III with the Hifiman HE400i.  The HD800 at that station was actually belong to me and it was not there at the beginning of the meet.  I unplugged it from my station (Susy Dynahi), because I wanted to make comparison between the L2 & Torpedo III amplifier...so the HD800 was only there for a very short period of time.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 34
  My apology Frank.  I thought all you wanted to do was sampling the Torpedo III with the Hifiman HE400i.  The HD800 at that station was actually belong to me and it was not there at the beginning of the meet.  I unplugged it from my station (Susy Dynahi), because I wanted to make comparison between the L2 & Torpedo III amplifier...so the HD800 was only there for a very short period of time.

oh, I was just saying I never got around to trying that setup, not that I was prevented from doing so.  And yes, I did mostly want to try the HE400i out of it, I just forgot to try the HD800 until after the meet when me and you were chatting and tom had already packed up.  No worries.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 34
Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I was so worried about bringing power strips and extension cords - like you said - that I forgot enough power cords for the amps.
wink.gif

I will get it right for a meet someday.  Every meet is different for me, though. Sometimes, I've brought multiple DAC setups and multiple PC's, only to have a single one used.  This time, I thought I'd bring several Torpedoes and make swapping amps more convenient than just rolling the tubes.  Unfortunately, since previous experience showed me that multiple DACs/sources was a sort of a waste, I thought extra power cords would be useless, too.  So, the problem was that once we hooked up Purk's L-2 and Headroom DAC into my setup, I had nothing left but a single power cord for all those Torpedoes.
wink.gif

Seriously, the Torpedo III has simply ruined the rest of my gear.  I'm working on upgrading to a top-of-the-line DAC and my own set of HD800's.  That should solve the problem in the future ... until the next unforeseen situation comes up at a meet. 
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back