1/4" vs. 1/8"
May 23, 2005 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

XiaoNio

New Head-Fier
Really newbie question but searching didn't really reveal anything...

I know most audiophiles are of the school of thought that size really does matter. The thicker and more expensive the [interconnect, cable, solder, wiring, speaker binding post etc.] the [warmer, fuller, better, more pleasant, etc.] the sound. Also, the more additional interconnect pieces, the more sound gets lost. I'm not goint to open up that can of worms. Well, only sort of.

I've got a pair of SR-80's and am probably going to be trading for a pair of Alessandro MS-1's soon. The Grados have the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and the Alessandros have that option available. Given, you can also purchase the Alessandros with only a 1/4" plug, which do you choose? Since there's no equipment that lets you plug headphones in with both a 1/8" and a 1/4" end, I can't say I know if it makes that big of a difference. Also, I can't say using the adapter on the Grados affects the sound quality.

So, does the size of the plug matter?

Given that I won't be using these with my iPod, I won't be needing the 1/8th inch plug. However, if I choose to get a headphone amp, the headphone amps in my price range all tend to have only an 1/8th inch outlet. Right now I'm using a really vintage Marantz receiver which will probably be upgraded in time. Similarly, sometime after that, I'd like to get a good (decent and mostly affordable) headphone amp.

So do I get Alessandros with or without the adapter?

Sorry to make this confusing, but hopefully someone can explain the issue of plug size and whether it makes a difference. Also, whether using an 1/8 to 1/4 inch adapter changes things.

May 23, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 8
Plugs make no difference. Adapters are fine too.

See ya
Steve

May 23, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiaoNio
Really newbie question but searching didn't really reveal anything...

I know most audiophiles are of the school of thought that size really does matter. The thicker and more expensive the [interconnect, cable, solder, wiring, speaker binding post etc.] the [warmer, fuller, better, more pleasant, etc.] the sound. Also, the more additional interconnect pieces, the more sound gets lost. I'm not goint to open up that can of worms. Well, only sort of.

I've got a pair of SR-80's and am probably going to be trading for a pair of Alessandro MS-1's soon. The Grados have the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and the Alessandros have that option available. Given, you can also purchase the Alessandros with only a 1/4" plug, which do you choose? Since there's no equipment that lets you plug headphones in with both a 1/8" and a 1/4" end, I can't say I know if it makes that big of a difference. Also, I can't say using the adapter on the Grados affects the sound quality.

So, does the size of the plug matter?

Given that I won't be using these with my iPod, I won't be needing the 1/8th inch plug. However, if I choose to get a headphone amp, the headphone amps in my price range all tend to have only an 1/8th inch outlet. Right now I'm using a really vintage Marantz receiver which will probably be upgraded in time. Similarly, sometime after that, I'd like to get a good (decent and mostly affordable) headphone amp.

So do I get Alessandros with or without the adapter?

Sorry to make this confusing, but hopefully someone can explain the issue of plug size and whether it makes a difference. Also, whether using an 1/8 to 1/4 inch adapter changes things.

That was so confuzing

May 23, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 8
mine are 1/8" with 1/4" adaptor.

If you are using an iPod / mini you will be using 1/8"

And you will only then need the 1/4" adaptor if you are coming out of a proper source.

May 23, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 8
I see what you mean. You probably have extensive knowlage in audiophile equipment and setups (with large speakers). There, a connector MIGHT make a difference, albeit a very small one, noticable to only few (those who buy cable raisers). Could be considered mainly a vanity thing, the final touch if you will. But here in head-fi i cant tell the difference between a 50$ interconnect and a 400$ one, a difference that would be easily noted on my full range system. I can assure you that you will be good with a 1/8" adapter for your ipod and a 1/4" attachment for other gear.

May 23, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 8
actually, imo the major relevant difference between 1/8" and 1/4" plugs is that the 1/4" jacks are far more sturdy than the 1/8" jacks, especially with regard to accidental lateral yanking when the plug is in the jack.

also, typically 1/4" plugs are usually able to accept far larger wires, which probably would have a far greater effect on sound than the plug size.

May 23, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 8
With MS-1's go with the 1/8" termination and the 1/4" adapter. if you ever plan on using a portable to drive them, its much more convenient, and the 1/4" to 1/8" adapters would be easy to lose on the road. all you do with the 1/8" to 1/4" is leave it in your amp.
The impact on sound will be negligible. One thing to watch out for is wear or bending of the 1/8" plug, as they are more delicate than 1/4" plugs.

May 23, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry to be confusing guys. Thanks for the replies that helped.

More simply...
Will there be a sound difference between using a 1/8" with a 1/4" adapter versus using a 1/4" plug. More specifically, with a pair of Alessandro MS-1's? The answer seems to be no, but there must be a reason why all the upscale headphones and amps are only fitted for 1/4".

Ex.
Would I be better off with a Bithead and Alessandros using the 1/8" plug or waiting for something bigger from Headroom and the 1/4" plug? Would the delay in availability outweigh whatever losses in sound or durability from using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter?

I know we're not talking big budget stuff here, so the difference is probably minimal. But maybe some more of you out there with golden ears want to tell me there is or isn't one as a proof of concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back