1/4 vs. 1/8 inch plug
Feb 24, 2007 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jaisin

New Head-Fier
Is there any audible difference between a 1/4 inch plug and a 1/8 inch plug? If there isn't a difference, why don't they make the 1/8 inch standard.

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any audible difference between a 1/4 inch plug and a 1/8 inch plug? If there isn't a difference, why don't they make the 1/8 inch standard.

Because the larger jack is a more positive fit and stronger. It's also more satisfying to operate imo, *ker-lunk*
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the larger jack is a more positive fit and stronger. It's also more satisfying to operate imo, *ker-lunk*
tongue.gif

I agree. The small jacks never feel like they make a solid connection. They look cheap too. Bigger is better.
icon10.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The small jacks never feel like they make a solid connection. They look cheap too. Bigger is better.
icon10.gif

I am too used to big things.
cool.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 24
Obviously a guy invented the 1/4" jack.

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 24
Lol.. cmon guys
I personally prefer 1/8 jacks because half my gear has 1/8 plugs, and it's much easier to convert 1/8 to 1/4 than vice versa

But yeah, they sound the same

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 24
Meh, I always thought the 1/4 was best because the surface area was way larger, thus, more contact for the transferring.

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 24
This just in, a Head-Fi Bulletin:

The 1-inch headphone plug was discovered yesterday by renowned audiologist Rod Biggums. When asked how he came up with the idea, he replied that having woken up early one morning after dreaming of a new tube amp design, it simply 'hit him in the face'.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 24
most phone jacks, whether 1/4 or 1/8, are pretty flimsy and has very little contact surface. so i'm sure a well-designed 1/8 jack would best most 1/4 jacks. of course RCA and XLR jacks have better contact, and direct solder is even better.

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 24
I look at it this way: If I was to get a pair of headphones recabled I would go 1/8" everytime because if I did 1/4" and I wanted to convert down using a Grado or Senn adaptor I would be adding 6" of stock wire into the chain. I don't know if this would defeat the recable, but I would always wonder.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 24
On the contrary, my amp is using a 1/4 and recable to 1/8 would be useless, plus from my experience 1/4 inchers break far less...far far far less, and stay in better.

Btw, so if best connection is direct solder, should I do that with my headphones+amp? xD We can truly call it an audio listening system then.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #15 of 24
I think the 1/4" TRS and Mono TS connectors are carry over standards from telecommunications industries in the 40s. When switchboard operators would patch over calls. And Even that might be carry over from telegraph operators and military standards.

It just got carried over from other industries.

Personally I dont like either TRS because they short out the amp channel as you plug and unplug. I like locking XLRs personally. But of course you cant use that on a small portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back