「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #176,686 of 177,742
I bought a new monitor last week and it’s here!

Sweet! Which one is it?

The 4K LG monitor I use at work looks just like yours in terms of physical build. That one is 4k 60hz, is white+silver in finish, HDR400, has Freesync and has an external power supply. We use those to test if a title is working properly in HDR and if it scales in 4K correctly.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #176,687 of 177,742
Welp, Noctua is offering to send 2 replacement fans to me.
They are asking me to destroy the old fans to avoid the entire RMA process once the new ones arrive. Hurts a bit too destroy two mostly working fans, but understandable. I'll assume they might know the cause and don't need to investigate further. If not, I wouldn't mind investigating more or shipping the fans I have back to them.

I actually like this a lot, it's easier than having to ship back fans somewhere. Could you imagine if you had to be without a graphics card or power supply for three weeks?

If you want to know for sure if it's the fans, maybe you can just power them outside of the case with the extension cable or something and see if they still hum.

Gyahhh analysis paralysis on SSD buying again, I think I'll just buy an old Intel S3610 400GB for ~AUD70 or USD46, the value is there and they have been...field tested so to speak. XD

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #176,688 of 177,742
I actually like this a lot, it's easier than having to ship back fans somewhere. Could you imagine if you had to be without a graphics card or power supply for three weeks?

If you want to know for sure if it's the fans, maybe you can just power them outside of the case with the extension cable or something and see if they still hum.

Gyahhh analysis paralysis on SSD buying again, I think I'll just buy an old Intel S3610 400GB for ~AUD70 or USD46, the value is there and they have been...field tested so to speak. XD

I've done that a few times before I contacted Noctua, it is indeed those fans.

(I've also figured out that my CPU can run pretty well passively cooled if I drop the voltages and clock speeds a bit through this. The D15 is simply such a massive heatsink by itself.)

I definitely welcome the convenience of just breaking the fans myself, especially if they are going to be thrown out anyways and I have to endure the ruthless RMA process otherwise. It's just breaking these beautiful fans...it hurts... ;o;

--------------------

On a side note, I love how the text colour in all their emails are mostly...beige/brown.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #176,689 of 177,742
On a side note, I love how the text colour in all their emails are mostly...beige/brown.

Yeep, I really like the beige brown too. XD

Doing up a friends' car sound system and I've finally laid to rest on how much power you reaaaally need to listen to music. With real world power measurements it's really only a few watts, which is no surprise to us as typical speaker sensitivity is in the order of 85 to 95 dB/W.

The DSP we're using has 8x25W RMS speaker outputs which is more than enough for typical listening. It's even fine for the subwoofer too which has a sensitivity of 87db/W.

The quiescent draw of the DSP was around 12W and for normal reasonable listening levels it went up to a whopping 12.5W as measured with a clamp meter.

Ahhh I finally pulled the trigger on an SSD, I went for the Intel S3700 100GB for a whopping 35 dollarydoos (USD24). The $/GB is terrible but to be honest it's just a boot drive for a garage laptop to bring up schematics and service manuals, it'll do. =P

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #176,690 of 177,742
Sweet! Which one is it?

The 4K LG monitor I use at work looks just like that one in terms of physical build. That one is 4k 60hz, is white+silver in finish, HDR400, has Freesync and has an external power supply. We use those to test if a title is working properly in HDR and if it scales in 4K correctly.
This one’s a QHD 75 Hz model with FreeSync; the 32QK500. (Edit: I plan on wall-mounting it above the existing monitors) FreeSync only works over DisplayPort so I can either have Eyefinity or FreeSync but not both (without having to crawl under the desk to reconnect the cables and reconfigure the screens in software). Not that my GPU can do both simultaneously but it’d be nice to have both as easy-to-access options.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #176,691 of 177,742
This one’s a QHD 75 Hz model with FreeSync; the 32QK500. (Edit: I plan on wall-mounting it above the existing monitors) FreeSync only works over DisplayPort so I can either have Eyefinity or FreeSync but not both (without having to crawl under the desk to reconnect the cables and reconfigure the screens in software). Not that my GPU can do both simultaneously but it’d be nice to have both as easy-to-access options.

I see. It indeed isn't the same. The ones at work are only 27 inch.

I'm planning to wait a bit, then by a new monitor next year. Hoping something good can come out between the sizes 27" to 32" and a resolution of 4K.

Don't really need it but it will be nice to replace my current monitor. Not looking for a major update, just a stepping stone to keep me occupied for half a decade to a decade until some of the really cool stuff being shown today as concepts gets practical enough for daily applications.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #176,692 of 177,742
*sigh*

The Noctua A15 fan replacements came today.

They've clearly been through customs, damaged packaging all around, and a missing dampener. Hoping it works fine.

On a side note, the replacement ones are the separately sold Chromax fans, so they have the very stupid design with the attached cable that's too short, with an included extention cable that's too long. :p

image.jpg

I still wonder why Noctua sells their individual Chromax fans like that. They clearly have SKUs where the cables are more normal in length.

Update: same annoying hum is there.

Might be a bit less but it could also just be placebo. :frowning2:

I guess this is just how the fans are. Was holding the fan while it was on in my hand. At specific angles, the humming was very obvious.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #176,693 of 177,742
I guess this is just how the fans are. Was holding the fan while it was on in my hand. At specific angles, the humming was very obvious.

RIP.

I wonder if they'll be okay as case fans (my twisted logic being that it'll help dampen the resonance if it's fixed to something more solid), slap some 120mm on the cooler instead.

I've found some screwdrivers on sale...like 60-80% off retail so I just bought a lifetime supply. I think I have over 100 screwdrivers coming in from Wiha...

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #176,694 of 177,742
RIP.

I wonder if they'll be okay as case fans (my twisted logic being that it'll help dampen the resonance if it's fixed to something more solid), slap some 120mm on the cooler instead.

I've found some screwdrivers on sale...like 60-80% off retail so I just bought a lifetime supply. I think I have over 100 screwdrivers coming in from Wiha...

Driving screws for Lyfe.

--------------

I'm sure these fans are fine as case fans. The humming happens when the motor is speeding up or slowing down at specific speeds. If I just run them slower and have them not change speeds, they are very quiet.

Now to contact Noctua about it and break those poor poor apparently fine fans...

----------

Speaking of which, got some new techs...

IMG_20191208_170800.jpg IMG_20191210_181116.jpg

------------

Destiny 2 doesn't work well with Steam Controller in gamepad mode. It only works when you run it as a mouse and keyboard setup, which sucks.

Still playable in the end though on the Steam Link, which is pretty fun.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #176,695 of 177,742
Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #176,698 of 177,742
It's not Christmas here yet. XD
Same when I posted.

But it was in Japan so happy enforced kurisumas anyways. >:D

------------

Since it's Xmas now:

F9690C48-6370-4461-8F80-BF221C4EE113.png

Attachments

• 0ADB5120-BDD5-432F-8984-DEA524902D17.png