「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 2, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #176,551 of 177,742
I was fed up with the stock speakers on the Thinkpad x230, so I installed some 12" Macbook ones instead. XD

It's a bit ghetto but the results speak for themselves, the rolloff point changing from 400Hz to around 230Hz makes a huge difference. Significantly louder as well so I have more headroom to EQ and still have acceptable levels.

Sure I may have mixed up the left and right channels, and I think it needs more foam tape to stop the rattles but those are just minor details (might be some phase shenanigans too, hey it's a work in progress!). I may have the best sounding thinkpad on the planet, I'll take that. =P

It only cost 20 dollarydoos, you can find them even cheaper on aliexpress but I bought locally because I'm impatient.

x230 stock.png

x230 after.jpg

x23 after.jpg

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #176,553 of 177,742
I was fed up with the stock speakers on the Thinkpad x230, so I installed some 12" Macbook ones instead. XD

It's a bit ghetto but the results speak for themselves, the rolloff point changing from 400Hz to around 230Hz makes a huge difference. Significantly louder as well so I have more headroom to EQ and still have acceptable levels.

Sure I may have mixed up the left and right channels, and I think it needs more foam tape to stop the rattles but those are just minor details (might be some phase shenanigans too, hey it's a work in progress!). I may have the best sounding thinkpad on the planet, I'll take that. =P

It only cost 20 dollarydoos, you can find them even cheaper on aliexpress but I bought locally because I'm impatient.

Now see if you can fit an amplifier that hooks up directly to system power

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #176,555 of 177,742
Jul 18, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #176,556 of 177,742
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #176,557 of 177,742
lately i am into one piece manga and anime
I remember watching it when it aired on Cartoon Network

@I Want to Eat Your Pancreas: I want my emotional investment back

@Zombieland Saga: can’t wait for S2!

Jul 26, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #176,558 of 177,742
You know Hifumi from New Game!? It just occured to me that her name is kinda like Abcde's.

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #176,560 of 177,742
@Asobi Asobase: wack

Sort of reminds me of Daily Lives of Highschool Boys.

Ughhh I ordered a used Meiji EMT microscope, any used microscope in Australia is wicked expensive. I probably should have spent a bit more and got a new Chinese microscope like an Amscope but ehhhh I'm a sucker for used quality equipment (and I'm cheap).

I've just hit that stage where my eyes struggle to do any close up work, SMD soldering is a no-go for me, too much eye strain. I wonder if I'll get used to soldering under magnification or if I'm going to transfer eye strain into neck strain. XD

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #176,561 of 177,742
I've just hit that stage where my eyes struggle to do any close up work, SMD soldering is a no-go for me, too much eye strain. I wonder if I'll get used to soldering under magnification or if I'm going to transfer eye strain into neck strain. XD

:frowning2:

Hope your eyes get better.

Eye fatigue has been something I've been fighting with due to my constant computer use. It really sucks... ToT

-----------------

SIGGRAPH has been amazing this year. Super excited to try out all the things that have been announced! @_@

Also considering finally upgrading my GPU in a few months. Looking at the 2070 Super.

I know gamers tend to look own on RTX but for pro viz, dedicated raytracing hardware is offering crazy performance for renders.

Still want to wait a bit for improvements in CPU and monitor tech before considering any upgrades for those though. Good thing they are moving fast.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #176,562 of 177,742
Also considering finally upgrading my GPU in a few months. Looking at the 2070 Super.

The 5700XT looks like decent-ish value too if you don't need RTX.

Hmmmm I think shipping from Australia will kill the deal, and you probably don't want to deal with taxes and all that too.

I'm not allowed to say where I get them from but uhhh I can sometimes get normal crappy blower fan GTX 1080's for say.....about the cost of a new AAA game. Shipping might be about 60 dollarydoos (EUR37) to Germany.....wait why do I think you're from Germany again? I've been playing too much Azur Lane and seeing "U" in a name makes me think of a U-boat. XD

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #176,563 of 177,742
The 5700XT looks like decent-ish value too if you don't need RTX.

Hmmmm I think shipping from Australia will kill the deal, and you probably don't want to deal with taxes and all that too.

I'm not allowed to say where I get them from but uhhh I can sometimes get normal crappy blower fan GTX 1080's for say.....about the cost of a new AAA game. Shipping might be about 60 dollarydoos (EUR37) to Germany.....wait why do I think you're from Germany again? I've been playing too much Azur Lane and seeing "U" in a name makes me think of a U-boat. XD

Canadian Canuck here. :D

Unfortunately, I do need RTX and CUDA support.

My options for the past years have been quite limited due to using an AMD card. :frowning2:

Oh no, I can already feel unconditional hate targeted towards me from unknown sources... :p

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #176,564 of 177,742
@Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san ep03:

t.jpg

Noice

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #176,565 of 177,742
While scouting the new GPUs, I can't help but marvel once again at how...interesting branding can be at times... :p

upload_2019-8-5_8-9-55.png

I personally prefer the IO on the high end Asus and Aorus cards (more than one HDMI on those). Going to prioritize noise and temps this time for a new GPU, despite loving the look of the reference card.

Gigabyte's fans seem to have had problems with past generation thus don't feel like dealing with the risk until I can see it's confirmed to be non-existant. Also don't think the price premium of the high end Asus and Gigabyte cards is worth it for me. Would rather spend that extra money on other stuff. The MSI 3 fan card looks nice but it lacks the USB-C port. :/

Hopefully the fan revving issue on gigabyte cards are no longer a thing with the new launch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back