「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #175,923 of 177,742
I finally watched an anime series because it was conveniently uploaded on YouTube. I'd give Kumamiko - Girl Meets Bear 5/10. It was 'aight.

This was the best part tho.

Machi reminded me of Sanaki from Fire Emblem.
Full_Attack_Sanaki_Begnion's_Apostle.png

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #175,924 of 177,742
Liz to Aoi Tori (Hibike Euphonium's side story movie about Nozomi and Mizore), which was released 3 days ago in Japan, got its OST available today

And it's on FREAKING DSD128 5.6MHz

Holy shiet, Lantis and Kyoto Animation stepped up HUGE on their Anime Hi-Res OST with this one

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #175,925 of 177,742
And it's on FREAKING DSD128 5.6MHz

Holy shiet, Lantis and Kyoto Animation stepped up HUGE on their Anime Hi-Res OST with this one

So does that mean there's musical information at 2.8MHz? =P I've always wondered whether high res music sounds better because of the higher res, or whether it's because the mastering is better since it's targeting a more picky audience.

Got all the parts finally, build went off without a hitch. After being used to Intel's non soldered heatsinks for the past 5 years it surprised me that the Ryzen 1200 only hit 60C under prime95, granted its only pulling like 60W for the lowest end part but still, not bad for the stock cooler. (the mounting mechanism is so poorly designed, feels like you have to break the damn mobo just to get the screws in)

IMG_2981.jpg

So I've just discovered Earth-chan...

3t6b8btirht01.jpg

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #175,927 of 177,742
So does that mean there's musical information at 2.8MHz? =P I've always wondered whether high res music sounds better because of the higher res, or whether it's because the mastering is better since it's targeting a more picky audience.

Maybe Lantis mastered the album at 32bit 384kHz before releasing in DSD? And If I remember correctly, some of Sony and Tascam's pro studio gear have support for Hi-Res recording, so the studios in Japan can buy and use them for their Hi-Res release

I don't know about the west, but high resolution music in Japan are some of the best in class. And anime music in Hi-Res Audio has gone mainstream for quite sometimes now. But Anime in DSD? Currently only Aquaplus did that with their White Album 2 Vocal and OST, until now

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #175,928 of 177,742
I don't trust buying HiResTM stuff unless it sounds better-mastered than the "non-HD" versions. I've wasted too much money on HDTracks to find out the hard way that most HD music there is basically just upsampled garbage.

DSD is fundamentally different than PCM: it's only 1-bit.

Mastering in 24/192 isn't uncommon in studios, but which master is released to the public is always a mystery.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #175,929 of 177,742
to me high res stuff don't even reach the level of confidence I put on Japan imports. I expect Japan imports to often be different, and when different, it's very often for the better IMO. but I expect high res stuff to be identical most of the time, and when it's different, I'm honestly about 50/50 on which master I prefer. when I buy the highres version of something I love, but end up preferring the CD version, you can hear me swear from next town.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #175,930 of 177,742
I don't trust buying HiResTM stuff unless it sounds better-mastered than the "non-HD" versions. I've wasted too much money on HDTracks to find out the hard way that most HD music there is basically just upsampled garbage.

DSD is fundamentally different than PCM: it's only 1-bit.

Mastering in 24/192 isn't uncommon in studios, but which master is released to the public is always a mystery.

It's HDTracks, there are too much upsampled crap.
I've been collecting and listening to Hi-Res music from Japan (mainly anisongs), and I can tell you, it is definitely high quality stuff
And I always buy Hi-Res digital because I don't want to deal with the hassle of importing CDs from Japan, not to mention higher price sometimes
I uploaded most of my library here, you can download one and test it for yourself

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #175,931 of 177,742
It's HDTracks, there are too much upsampled crap.
I've been collecting and listening to Hi-Res music from Japan (mainly anisongs), and I can tell you, it is definitely high quality stuff
And I always buy Hi-Res digital because I don't want to deal with the hassle of importing CDs from Japan, not to mention higher price sometimes
I uploaded most of my library here, you can download one and test it for yourself
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dunno mang, it sounded similar to the 24/96 version. The 24/96 version is still DR4 and has super obvious hard clipping in the waveform. I got a CD version and it sounds exactly the same as the 24/96 version. It sounded better in theaters. >.>

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #175,932 of 177,742
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dunno mang, it sounded similar to the 24/96 version. The 24/96 version is still DR4 and has super obvious hard clipping in the waveform. I got a CD version and it sounds exactly the same as the 24/96 version. It sounded better in theaters. >.>

Of course, being HR doesn't guaratee no clipping. Just like CD there's bound to be bad HR. Uchiage Hanabi isn't really that great mastered even in HR
But, if you listen to ClariS's Hi-Res, you can see they are the perfect example of good HR music with great DR ranging from 8 to 9
For Liz to Aoi Tori's OST, I just got my hand on it today, and I can tell you, it's very, very good. I'm uploading it to my drive now

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #175,933 of 177,742
May 1, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #175,935 of 177,742
Of course, being HR doesn't guaratee no clipping. Just like CD there's bound to be bad HR. Uchiage Hanabi isn't really that great mastered even in HR
But, if you listen to ClariS's Hi-Res, you can see they are the perfect example of good HR music with great DR ranging from 8 to 9
For Liz to Aoi Tori's OST, I just got my hand on it today, and I can tell you, it's very, very good. I'm uploading it to my drive now

ClariS HR is always a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back